Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 10:47 AM   #17201

Finished a barn wood frame for a railroad map I bought from Great River Arts - Hand painted historical maps by Lisa Middleton at an art fair in Arizona.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg railroad map on barnwood frame.jpg (1,020.3 KB, 30 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2015, 12:18 PM   #17202
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Finished a barn wood frame for a railroad map I bought from Great River Arts - Hand painted historical maps by Lisa Middleton at an art fair in Arizona.
Ron, that is stunning work.

I love the antique map and went to Lisa's site and found that her work is awesome. Now I have an idea for holiday gifts for the family (now, if I could find a framer...)

Old 05-12-2015, 12:36 PM   #17203
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Drove DW downtown for lunch in her Wrangler. As we parked it lost reverse. She really didn't believe that reverse is a nice to have gear but not really needed, more so in a wrangler than many vehicles. Anyway the thing has a life time drive train warranty so no cost.

Found a new money leak too. One dog just loves paper, this morning $40.00 is laying next to my pants, he picked my pocket. Little guy has expensive tastes.

🐑
Old 05-12-2015, 12:45 PM   #17204
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Drove DW downtown for lunch in her Wrangler. As we parked it lost reverse. She really didn't believe that reverse is a nice to have gear but not really needed, more so in a wrangler than many vehicles. Anyway the thing has a life time drive train warranty so no cost.

Found a new money leak too. One dog just loves paper, this morning $40.00 is laying next to my pants, he picked my pocket. Little guy has expensive tastes.

��
Hope the dog didn't chew up the bills! Our dog likes silk...and has somehow gotten a few of my ties and turned them into confetti. Fortunately, I don't wear ties anymore!

Good luck with the Jeep!
Old 05-12-2015, 01:09 PM   #17205
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just got back from a checkup with my primary doc.

In January my A1C level was 6.0 (pre-diabetes territory) and for me high.

My test today was 5.3! I attribute it to some tweaks in my diet but I also did a lot of research on insulin resistance so have been taking Alpha Lipoic Acid and Chromium GTF supplements. Since I made several changes at once don't really know which had the biggest impact but form it to drop that much in 4 months is awesome.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:17 PM   #17206

... and today is our 25th wedding anniversary.

I'm not a bling kind of girl so we bought each other a "pickleball machine".

It's like a baseball pitching machine only it's specifically for pickleball. And at $1299.00 it's worthy of being a 25th anniversary gift.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:12 PM   #17207

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Ron, that is stunning work.

I love the antique map and went to Lisa's site and found that her work is awesome. Now I have an idea for holiday gifts for the family (now, if I could find a framer...)

Thanks Aja8888. Lisa's work is awesome. She travels the country doing art shows with a booth load of her work. I hope to find her again, because I'd like to buy a couple of similar maps- around 9"x17". That's about as big as I frame since I don't mat or fasten the print in any way.

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Old 05-12-2015, 04:20 PM   #17208
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
That frame is perfect for the map . You did a great job.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:43 PM   #17209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
That frame is perfect for the map . You did a great job.

Thanks. Some barn wood frames just don't look good when they're paired with the wrong art. But barn wood does go well with old maps.

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Old 05-12-2015, 10:59 PM   #17210

My electricity just came back on. I lost it last Saturday at about 5:30 P.M. Sure is nice to have things like water and heat available again. The nights got down in the 20's and 30's.

I also have internet and a computer so I have access to the FIRE forum!
Old 05-12-2015, 11:06 PM   #17211
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
My electricity just came back on. I lost it last Saturday at about 5:30 P.M. Sure is nice to have things like water and heat available again. The nights got down in the 20's and 30's.

I also have internet and a computer so I have access to the FIRE forum!
Welcome back, glad you got power back! Those must have been some COLD nights, too.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-13-2015, 12:28 AM   #17212

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Welcome back, glad you got power back! Those must have been some COLD nights, too.
The nights weren't so bad. I had two sleeping bags on top of the regular bedding. Getting out of bed in the morning was COLD!

It sure was nice to take a hot shower this evening. All the water up here is well water so you have to have electricity to run the pumps.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:04 AM   #17213
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hermit, it sounds like you need to put a generator on your "to buy someday" list. One big enough to let you have water and some light. Or maybe you have plans for something like that in the new house?
Old 05-13-2015, 11:34 AM   #17214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
Hermit, it sounds like you need to put a generator on your "to buy someday" list. One big enough to let you have water and some light. Or maybe you have plans for something like that in the new house?
I plan to have a propane generator at the house. I will probably move the motor home up to behind the house in the fall so I have access to the generator over the winter. What it really would have helped was to run the furnace in the motor home. I have a couple small electric heaters and the furnace. All need electricity to run. The construction site is required to have a portable out-house, so I didn't need water for that and I had just enough water for drinking and doing dishes. Glad the electricity came back on when it did.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:38 PM   #17215

Mowed the "front 40". Thought about making a grocery run, but then decided to do that on the way back from the gym tomorrow.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:03 PM   #17216

Great plan. Don't do anything today that can be put off 'till tomorrow.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:22 PM   #17217
Full time employment: Posting here.

Celebrated my 56th birthday a day early by walking 54 holes of golf.

Was first off the tee at 7:15 this morning, played 18 in 2 hours 15 minutes.

At 10:30 played 18 with my regular group in 3 hours even. Lunch with the golf buddies.

After a brief trip home to pop an Aleve and play the harpsichord for a half hour, teed off for the last 18 at 4:00. DW joined me for the last nine. Managed to break 80 for the last round after two pretty mediocre rounds earlier. Last round elapsed time, 2:45. So nice to play quickly.

Then out for Chinese food to end the day. I should sleep well tonight.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:22 PM   #17218

Happy birthday, jjquantz!!

I seem to recall when I briefly tried golf that 9 holes is about 2 miles of walking. So if that's true for your course, you hoofed about 12 miles today. Pretty awesome even without chasing that evil little white ball around!
Old 05-14-2015, 07:04 AM   #17219

Yesterday, I made my first pie crust from scratch. Tasted much better than it looked. There is a certain knack to making pie crust. I will have to keep trying. Lol
Old 05-14-2015, 10:10 AM   #17220
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
... and today is our 25th wedding anniversary.
12th was our 25th as well. Congrats!