Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 07:57 PM   #17221
Full time employment: Posting here.

Last night my two daughters came for dinner to belatedly celebrate Mother's Day. One of the topics of conversation was that D1 and her roommates are hoping to find some outdoor furniture on Craigslist, because the townhouse they are moving to at the end of the month has a small backyard and they'd like to have a little entertainment area. D1 and her roommates are all PhD candidates living on stipend, so they can't spend much.

They got lucky. This morning on my way home from my track workout, I saw four patio chairs out at the curb for the trash man. How convenient that I was driving the pickup truck-- those four chairs are now in my garage. This afternoon I power washed them, primed the rusty spots, and sprayed the first coat of black paint. I'll spray the second coat tomorrow and the chairs will be ready to deliver to DD's new place when I take the pickup down to help her move. Free chairs are the best, especially when your retired mom does the rehab and delivers them.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2015, 08:19 PM   #17222
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
Last night my two daughters came for dinner to belatedly celebrate Mother's Day. One of the topics of conversation was that D1 and her roommates are hoping to find some outdoor furniture on Craigslist, because the townhouse they are moving to at the end of the month has a small backyard and they'd like to have a little entertainment area. D1 and her roommates are all PhD candidates living on stipend, so they can't spend much.

They got lucky. This morning on my way home from my track workout, I saw four patio chairs out at the curb for the trash man. How convenient that I was driving the pickup truck-- those four chairs are now in my garage. This afternoon I power washed them, primed the rusty spots, and sprayed the first coat of black paint. I'll spray the second coat tomorrow and the chairs will be ready to deliver to DD's new place when I take the pickup down to help her move. Free chairs are the best, especially when your retired mom does the rehab and delivers them.

Last week I put out a 14 year old Weber BBQ that was taken hours before the trash pickup. Was glad to see someone would get some use out of it.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:40 AM   #17223

Yesterday I signed a contract and put down a deposit for an assisted living facility for mom.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:42 AM   #17224
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I know that was both a relief and sad occasion.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 05-15-2015, 08:02 AM   #17225

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I know that was both a relief and sad occasion.
Thanks. Still having a bit of a debate between the left and right brain on this, which I need to get past and focus on making it work.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:44 AM   #17226
Administrator

MichaelB, I am hoping that your mother likes her AL facility as much as my mother did. My (late) mom loved not having to do any more upkeep on a house or cook, and she also loved the opportunities to socialize and get to know the other residents. They had some great activities and IIRC she joined the bridge club and started working out with the other seniors there, as well as attending old movie screenings (on the big screen TV) that they held there once a week as a sort of event.

AL can be loads of fun, or so she said.... Anyway, I am happy for you that you found the right place for her. At least you will know that they are taking care of her or keeping an eye on her at least, and that can be a tremendous relief.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-15-2015, 11:34 AM   #17227

We're heading home after one week in Virginia and one week in DC. DH currently is driving. I'm curious to see how my just planted veggie garden is doing. It's been warm and fairly dry. I rigged a timed watering system before we left.

First order of business when we get home-shop for food. Second, mow the lawn.

It is so nice not to have to worry about getting ready for work tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-15-2015, 11:57 AM   #17228
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
MichaelB, I am hoping that your mother likes her AL facility as much as my mother did.
+1
My mom fought me tooth and nail for years, until taking care of her in her own place became too overwhelming for me to continue it.

After a week in the AL place, she started asking me why I hadn't told her long ago about how great it was.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:37 PM   #17229
Recycles dryer sheets

Bought my first ever deep fryer - a high quality one. Doesn't seem all that compatible with my newfound fitness kick, but as a rare treat...why not?

Hope to catch a few fish (lingcod, halibut, or rockfish) this weekend, batter em' up, and have anunbelievably fresh fish n' chip feast! Reminds me, gotta find myself a great beer batter recipe...
Old 05-15-2015, 06:41 PM   #17230
Give me a forum ...

First time ever, rented an RV for the week. Drove down to the Ozarks, Stockton Lake. Traffic wasn't near as busy as I expected. Just got hooked up had a few issues, a very nice gentlemen from Springfield came to the rescue twice. Gave me more education than the gal at the rental place did. Should be fun, no real plans except fishing and maybe reading. There's a couple of TV I hope not to use them!

🐑
Old 05-15-2015, 11:00 PM   #17231
Administrator

Went to that place where they give me money every two weeks. After coming home, brewed 5 gallons of an English Dark Mild Ale. Now I'm enjoying the fruits of my previous brewing session.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:34 PM   #17232
Give me a forum ...

Winding down a 4 day visit from Mr B's brother and GF. I am so looking forward to having my space back to myself, as is Mr B.
Good houseguests but it feels like I have to be "on" all the time. Cooking for 4 was the hardest part, but I kept it simple...ribs and yams, spaghetti and meatballs and sausage, take out fish fry and scallop dinners. Daytime eating was "open the fridge" and find something to knosh on.
The guys made eggs and fried linguica for breakfast for us chickies today.

I am transitioning my indoor grown plant babies, all now about 6 inches tall, to their Earthbox and large planter destinations. I have all sorts of spring crops up and growing in containers. It is now time for the summer kids (tomato, eggplant, pepper, bean) to get hardened off. Then it's just down to watering, fertilizing with Neptune fish and seaweed stuff (I call it something else of course ) and responding to pest/disease issues.
The best part is about a month away...eating the fruits of my labors.

Not much longer and then it will be boat launching time !
Old 05-16-2015, 12:36 PM   #17233
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh heck, it's 10:35 a.m. and I'm still in bed, drinking coffee and reading posts!
Old 05-16-2015, 12:37 PM   #17234
Recycles dryer sheets

MRG - that sounds fun! I've been toying with the idea of renting an RV.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:16 PM   #17235
Give me a forum ...

It's been an adventure so far. Finding out where everything is located has been fun. One nice thing I've found is RV'ers are about the nicest folks I've met. Answering questions, finding stuff where stuff was at. Even had a nice conversation with a couple that recently found out what their FA was doing for them. We had a very nice conversation about Vanguard.

🐑
Old 05-16-2015, 03:51 PM   #17236

Went to a 50's street concert on Main Street in Canon City, CO last night. Flash Cadillac played. Also antique and custom cars. Its a "bring your lawn chair" kind of thing. They played from 7:00 to 10:00. The kids danced and did hula hoops from about 6:30 'til 7:30, then the older kids, moms & dads, and a whole lot of geezers danced the rest of the night away. A lot of fun.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:00 PM   #17237
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
This morning I gave blood; only took 5 minutes.
Drove there on my own using the GPS, first time I'd used it.

Bees were delivered to our new hives; and just in time as we are now having the usual afternoon deluge.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:58 PM   #17238
Recycles dryer sheets

Coffee (with heavy cream, so good) this morning and reading the news, then a long walk with the dog and now eating blackberries while I watch the SF Giants play the Reds.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:24 PM   #17239
Give me a forum ...

Went clothes shopping (again) today to take advantage of my coupons. Losing weight has its advantages, but the clothing budget will probably be exceeded this year.

Later on I found out Michael McDonald....

will be in my vicinity this summer, so I may have to fling my new bra at him...with me in it!
Old 05-17-2015, 02:30 PM   #17240
Administrator

Packing to move into my dream house! I'm tired but happy, and almost done. I don't know exactly when the move will be, yet, but I am good at living out of a suitcase if necessary.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Closed Thread