Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 02:56 PM   #17261
Recycles dryer sheets

Read an article in the NYT on a specialty pencil store in NYC so I wanted to find the pencils mentioned locally. I'm a supplies slut...was happy to find a satellite store of my favorite art supply shop (FLAX, San Francisco), in the next town so dragged myself out of bed, showered and went and spent $45. Then stopped to get cannoli filled and set for dessert tonight.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2015, 03:40 PM   #17262
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Went fishing in Stockton, came back with 1 two pound smallmouth bass. Not quite enough for dinner we'd brought two salmon filets with us so fresh bass with salmon, and grilled potatoes.

🐑
Old 05-19-2015, 07:29 PM   #17263

Very productive day. Took the kids to the bus, then the dog and I went to the beach for our early morning walk. Super low tide meant I cold go much further south and much further north. (High tide my walk is less than 1.5 miles... Low tide it's up to 4 miles... today was a 4 miler.)

Came home and spent 5 hours studying for my Italian 102 final tomorrow. Then picked up the boys from school. Took younger son to the orthodontist (and studied while he was getting rewired) then to the orthopedist where he got his cast off. He's now sporting a splint for 2 more weeks. That pretty much is the nail in the coffin for his baseball season. He missed the first month with his broken elbow.. played under 4 weeks then broke the other arm's wrist. Playoff games are next week and then the season is over... right when he'd be cleared to play.

Now I'm going back to studying Italian... Getting confused on the ci vs ne thing and mixing up imperfetto and futuro semplice... I think I've got the double object pronouns down though. I do not feel confident about this test.....
Old 05-19-2015, 08:29 PM   #17264
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
It snowed up here in the mountains for about an hour this morning.

I should be thinking about my snowboard instead of my paddle board with this crazy weather. Might get in an extra snow day at A-Basin this month.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:34 PM   #17265
Give me a forum ...

We're still on a decluttering streak. The project for today was taking old electronics to Staples for free recycling. We filled their counter then called it a day so they wouldn't get mad at us for bringing in too much stuff. I still have one more printer to go I'll take another day.

For dinner we went out to our favorite Thai restaurant.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 05-20-2015, 09:01 AM   #17266
Recycles dryer sheets

Turned in my notice of retirement acknowledgment form. Last official shift should be 7-17-15. I am scheduled to be on vacation that day. Good timing if I say so myself. I'm feeling good though a bit of ambivalence is creeping in. I suppose that is natural, especially since it's been 28 years of literal blood, sweat, tears, and pride of the fire service. I am honored to have worked with some of the best of the best. Any advice or stories of dealing with the ambivalence of leaving a great organization welcomed.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:19 AM   #17267
gone traveling

Scanned in a bunch of old papers and shredded them. Trying to clean and get organized.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:31 AM   #17268
Recycles dryer sheets

Johnny - congrats! I worked for a city for over 25 years as a librarian and I loved the library and the city administration, but I couldn't stand my department head one moment longer than I had to. It's so sad that other people can make your life miserable in what was a really fun job.

As a firefighter, you have earned some relaxation!
Old 05-20-2015, 10:42 AM   #17269
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyfuego View Post
Turned in my notice of retirement acknowledgment form. Last official shift should be 7-17-15. I am scheduled to be on vacation that day. Good timing if I say so myself. I'm feeling good though a bit of ambivalence is creeping in. I suppose that is natural, especially since it's been 28 years of literal blood, sweat, tears, and pride of the fire service. I am honored to have worked with some of the best of the best. Any advice or stories of dealing with the ambivalence of leaving a great organization welcomed.
Congrats, Johnny! Those are tough jobs when the action starts. I would guess you were on hand when 1/2 of Bastrop went up in flames about 2 years ago!

No advice, but just remember that you earned the privilege to retire.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:21 PM   #17270
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
DH assembled delivered office chair. My back is no longer in danger.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:41 PM   #17271
Give me a forum ...

I spent the day goofing off, recovering from an outing with my gardening buddy all day yesterday. Mr B had to study, so I decided that some cold beer and chicken wings was on my menu for the day. We hung out on a sunny open patio outside a dark basement bar (ratskeller type) until a cold front drove us indoors.
We ordered 20 garlic butter parmesan chicken wings and pigged out. I was reeking garlic all night and into today.
I treated for the beers/food because my buddy spent his weekly budget on car repairs. He is always very grateful when I do that. I am always grateful when he helps me with heavy duty yard w*rk.

When I got home, I had to quickly move my containers full of tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant inside my enclosed porch due to a possible patchy frost warning. I'm going to leave them inside the porch until the night time temps are safe to leave them outside overnight.

I slept in until noon today. It just feels so good to do that once in a while.

I spent today surfing while Mr B studies again. Red Sox game is on at 7 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:57 PM   #17272
Moderator Emeritus

I planted some more flowers, but spent most of the day on the computer and napping after a busy day yesterday brewing beer and staying up past 1am watching the Blackhawks win a triple overtime game.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:58 PM   #17273
Give me a forum ...

Still selling extra unused stuff in preparation for a move in one year. Today it was a Thule roof box.

In the past, I've priced stuff on Craigslist at a reasonable price only to have responders want to dicker downward. So, I priced the box at +$50 to what I wanted and the first person to call, paid the full price.

Yes, I did have a beer to celebrate. Now back to moving out the junk.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:02 PM   #17274
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Spent the afternoon with friends and relatives celebrating my Aunt's 90 birthday.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:41 PM   #17275

Took my final exam in 2nd semester Italian at the local community college. I can now conjugate in various forms, know how to use pronouns and possessives... but can't understand when it's spoken to me unless they speak SLOWLY. Hopefully a few weeks in Italy will get me more used to the listening/speaking aspect.

That said - I'm pretty sure I got the highest score in the class... I had the highest score going into the final, and don't think I missed much.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:52 PM   #17276
Full time employment: Posting here.

nuthin'
Old 05-20-2015, 06:03 PM   #17277
Moderator Emeritus

Now that I am finishing up with packing for the move (which will be in a few weeks) I decided that in addition to R&R I need to get back to the gym to stay strong. So, I did some light weight lifting and cardio while he walked on the indoor track.

We went to lunch together and split a Chinese vegetable dish with nothing else except water to drink. We wanted to eat lightly because on Wednesdays, another local place has a $10 steak dinner special which is utterly fabulous. So, we plan to go there together tonight. .

Since I haven't used them in years, I gave away my patio furniture, grill, and large electric gardening tools to a couple of very deserving fellows who will put them to good use.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 05-20-2015, 06:34 PM   #17278
Give me a forum ...

We're still pulling the MD house together after the winter in FL. Been pressure washing the decks. Also making points with DW for my romantic ways with water, algae, and dirt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0882.jpg (565.6 KB, 24 views)
Old 05-21-2015, 04:29 AM   #17279

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyfuego View Post
Any advice or stories of dealing with the ambivalence of leaving a great organization welcomed.
Don't be surprised if the feeling persists for a while, but it will eventually fade.
When I retired from the USAF, I felt like that for several years. Greatly diminished now, but I still get a funny (good) feeling whenever I enter a military base. The special camaraderie is something you almost never find in "normal" life.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:56 AM   #17280
Give me a forum ...

Taking a few vacation days for an extended Memorial Day weekend, ostensibly to catch up on spring cleaning...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Closed Thread