Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 05:21 PM   #17341
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just got back from the Adirondacks...I jumped in the Mustang a few days ago and went to Old Forge just for the heck of it. I had a few brewskis and watched the Memorial Day tourist surge. I left way before dark to avoid the fireworks crowd, and also to be ahead of the dusk deer-in-the-road effect.
I stopped for gas in Boonville and called a lady friend to see what she was up to. I was promptly told to "get my butt over to the house" for dinner.
Mr B was studying anyway, so he gave me a kitchen pass plus.

I spent 2.5 days hanging out with her and her 2 dogs. We watched "50 Shades of Grey". Very visually tantalizing but also kind of creepy movie.

We spent a lot of time talking about her brother, who is one of my dearest veteran buddies. He has terminal cancer. His time is very short.
It is really wearing her down mentally and physically...the worry, the months of home care giving and now visiting and trying to be of comfort to him in the hospital nursing facility.
She was so grateful for the company. We covered a lot of sensitive subjects that she needed input on. She and her brother totally trust me, versus supposed local "friends" who have proven to be otherwise in this terrible situation.
She is also a veteran. Her brother asked me months ago to keep an eye out for her no matter what happened to him.
And that I shall do.

Being a VA Volunteer can sometimes be difficult, but by helping others, I grow in spirit. I cannot think of any better way to spend Memorial Day.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2015, 06:10 PM   #17342

BBQnut - Nice feast you have there!

Old 05-26-2015, 06:14 PM   #17343

Today took apart the pressure washer, cleaned the carb, and power washed the dock. Also made gopro mounts for the kayak and pontoon boat. Also made a safety leash so that I'll be able to retrieve the gopro easier the next time I drop it in the lake.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:24 PM   #17344
Give me a forum ...

Played 18 holes of golf, at least six in the pouring rain. My game is improving! Had lunch in the clubhouse with golfing friends. Then went for my routine eye check. It's been a week of checkups. It's all good except that I am getting deafer. But I knew that.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:04 PM   #17345
Recycles dryer sheets

I took this picture quite literally 2 minutes ago. Wine in one hand, book in the other. Orcas have yet to appear but lots of porpoises, seals, and eagles dive bombing for fish right out front. It's better than any movie I'd care to see... Debating whether or not to go out and try to get another fish. But that might feel like too much effort really right now. There is always tomorrow. With ER there is always tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (889.8 KB, 35 views)
Old 05-26-2015, 09:08 PM   #17346
Recycles dryer sheets

Rosie:
Ask for a Universal Borrower's Card. Any resident of California can get one.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:35 PM   #17347
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I just got back from the Adirondacks...I jumped in the Mustang a few days ago and went to Old Forge just for the heck of it. I had a few brewskis and watched the Memorial Day tourist surge. I left way before dark to avoid the fireworks crowd, and also to be ahead of the dusk deer-in-the-road effect.
I stopped for gas in Boonville and called a lady friend to see what she was up to. I was promptly told to "get my butt over to the house" for dinner.
Mr B was studying anyway, so he gave me a kitchen pass plus.

I spent 2.5 days hanging out with her and her 2 dogs. We watched "50 Shades of Grey". Very visually tantalizing but also kind of creepy movie.

We spent a lot of time talking about her brother, who is one of my dearest veteran buddies. He has terminal cancer. His time is very short.
It is really wearing her down mentally and physically...the worry, the months of home care giving and now visiting and trying to be of comfort to him in the hospital nursing facility.
She was so grateful for the company. We covered a lot of sensitive subjects that she needed input on. She and her brother totally trust me, versus supposed local "friends" who have proven to be otherwise in this terrible situation.
She is also a veteran. Her brother asked me months ago to keep an eye out for her no matter what happened to him.
And that I shall do.

Being a VA Volunteer can sometimes be difficult, but by helping others, I grow in spirit. I cannot think of any better way to spend Memorial Day.
This brought a tear to my eye. Your friend and his sister are very fortunate indeed to have you in their lives.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:15 AM   #17348
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
This brought a tear to my eye. Your friend and his sister are very fortunate indeed to have you in their lives.
Actually, it is I who is the fortunate one to have them in my life. It brings out the nurturer spirit in me.
I am blessed to have friends like this, the true blue type, who call on me to be of comfort just by being there to listen and give input.

And...I have gained a "sister" in the process.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:53 PM   #17349
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Today I celebrated the 10th anniversary of my retirement.

How did I celebrate? I posted this.

The very best 10 years of my life...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 05-27-2015, 03:55 PM   #17350
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Congratulations!

Edited to add: I dug up this old post, which shows me that you were pretty happy that day!

Quote:
After a day of cleaning up a few (very few) loose ends and saying goodbye to more people than I ever imagined, I pulled out of the parking lot this afternoon and realized I am

FREE AT LAST! FREE AT LAST! THANK GOD ALMIGHTY WE ARE I'M FREE AT LAST!

(All due respects and credits to the heirs of MLK for permission to use the above.)

REWahoo!, formerly REWanabe, who retired TODAY!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-27-2015, 04:02 PM   #17351
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Such a great feeling!
Congratulations, and may you have many more decades of it. A lot of us actually appreciate your input.

In a few months, I'll be at the 14th anniversary of my ER, so I can relate.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:08 PM   #17352

Congrats Wahoo on 10 years of retirement bliss!
Old 05-27-2015, 04:14 PM   #17353
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Edited to add: I dug up this old post, which shows me that you were pretty happy that day!
I do recall being slightly euphoric - and apparently grammatically challenged to boot...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 05-27-2015, 04:15 PM   #17354

Quote:

Felicitaciones
Old 05-27-2015, 04:34 PM   #17355
Administrator

Quote:
I do recall being slightly euphoric - and apparently grammatically challenged to boot...
That's allowable! You were pretty excited. Me too, on the day I retired. That was one of the best days in my life. Probably the same for you, too.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-27-2015, 05:14 PM   #17356
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Retired?

You just keep thinkin', Butch. That's what you're good at.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:17 PM   #17357

Congratulation on 10 years. Mine is next month....
Old 05-27-2015, 05:25 PM   #17358

Found out today that the Pickleball tournament I played in last weekend has liability insurance to pay for injuries sustained while playing. And what they don't cover the player's association "USAPA" will pick up the balance with only a $1,000 deductible.

I messed up my knee pretty bad playing singles and am seeing an orthopedic surgeon on Monday. It's a relief that I won't be out of pocket any money to get it fixed (if surgery is needed, which is likely).

Gonna be hard to sit on the sidelines for awhile but it's better to get it taken care of now than risk it getting any worse.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:15 AM   #17359
Give me a forum ...

You can get hurt playing pickleball? Oh, my!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Old 05-28-2015, 12:55 PM   #17360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
You can get hurt playing pickleball? Oh, my
Yep, anything that you can injure playing tennis can happen in Pickleball. Except most injuries happen playing singles which was the case with me.