Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 12:25 PM   #17361
Recycles dryer sheets

I got up earlier than usual to get my teeth cleaned and then found out my dentist doesn't come in until the afternoon so I have to go back so he can look at my pearly whites. The hygienist was scaring the hell out of me - "did you know your front tooth is loose?" "I see a fracture line back here." All I could see were $$$$$$$$$$$!

Bought a huge bag of cat food, the little buggers seem to clean me out of food very quickly. Got some Mexican crema to make fish tacos for the very first time.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2015, 12:26 PM   #17362
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
You can get hurt playing pickleball? Oh, my!
Yep, but it's no big dill...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 05-28-2015, 07:05 PM   #17363
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinCella View Post
I got up earlier than usual to get my teeth cleaned and then found out my dentist doesn't come in until the afternoon so I have to go back so he can look at my pearly whites.
You don't need an appointment to get your teeth cleaned?
Old 05-28-2015, 07:13 PM   #17364
Recycles dryer sheets

I did have an appointment but the receptionist thought I was with the other dentist. I fully expected to see my dentist in the morning. It all worked out. I'll be getting a mouth guard next week.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:37 PM   #17365

Walked the dog on the beach early this morning. Saw a pair of dolphins kind of hanging out near the surfers. Sweet.

Then went to the kids school and volunteered to hear the 8th grade IB portfolio presentations. Some of these kids were pretty darn impressive. (My older son presented later in the day - so I didn't get to see his.) I'm going to do a few more hours tomorrow.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:47 PM   #17366
Recycles dryer sheets

Working in the yard and putzing in the shop, and winding down the day watching Jimmy Buffet live from Houston on the net. Margaritaville TV | Concerts and videos from Margaritaville and Jimmy Buffett :: Live Broadcast
what did you do today?
Old 05-29-2015, 06:19 AM   #17367

what did you do today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
Working in the yard and putzing in the shop, and winding down the day watching Jimmy Buffet live from Houston on the net. Margaritaville TV | Concerts and videos from Margaritaville and Jimmy Buffett :: Live Broadcast

Ha! DW and I were there. Her 59th birthday present. Great show ( our 1st Buffet concert) Tailgaters were wild. Lots of drunk, happy people. T-shirts $40 to $70 -- we just bought another beer.... Buffet is one hell of a marketing genius....

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-29-2015, 06:45 AM   #17368
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Ha! Daw and I were there. Her 59th birthday present. Great show ( our 1st Buffet concert) Tailgaters were wild. Lots of drunk, happy people. Thirst $40 to $70 -- we just bought another beer.... Buffet is one hell of a marketing genius....
Was that you in the foam sharkfin hat?

Really got a kick out of it when the cameras panned the audience, looked like a bit of an older, uh - I mean people my age there! LOL And it sure looked like they were 'accomplished professionals' at the art of enjoying themselves. I would kind of like to make it to one of his live shows someday, bet it really is a hoot. Key West maybe...
Old 05-29-2015, 11:25 AM   #17369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
Was that you in the foam sharkfin hat?

Really got a kick out of it when the cameras panned the audience, looked like a bit of an older, uh - I mean people my age there! LOL And it sure looked like they were 'accomplished professionals' at the art of enjoying themselves. I would kind of like to make it to one of his live shows someday, bet it really is a hoot. Key West maybe...
You will have a great time, especially people-watching.. quite the cult event. Here's a few pics from last night...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1378.jpg (446.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1372.jpg (501.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1415.jpg (362.0 KB, 28 views)
Old 05-29-2015, 11:31 AM   #17370

couple more Jimmy Buffet concert pics from Houston.. Tailgaters were hosting creative contests and giving away shots and beads and trinkets..one contest was the 'bra toss'..everyone was super friendly and having lots of fun. I will try to post a video that my wife took of a couple of guys having way too much fun...quite entertaining..

oh, and Buffet put on a great show too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1393.jpg (630.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1373.jpg (851.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1371.jpg (523.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 05-29-2015, 03:38 PM   #17371

I love this RE life. DH is upstairs editing a recording for the CD his big band is producing this fall. I hear the tones of big band trumpets from his computer.

DS is home from college and has received a callback from a local job opportunity in his major field. He is in the basement working on an original song on DH's synthesizers. I'm preparing shrimp for the BBQ and looking out at the pool that will keep me entertained as the veggies, pasta, and Asian BBQ shrimp cook.

After dinner DH and I will play music together.

It's been a wonderful day.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-29-2015, 05:04 PM   #17372
Give me a forum ...

I have set a new personal record for staying in bed...2 days straight.

I developed aches and pains from head to toe as if I had done too much physically, and felt chilled. I usually experience hot flashes (menopausal) followed by a chill, so I didn't think much of it. But when the aches set in, and my appetite dropped like a stone, I knew I had a stomach bug.

I just took my temperature...101.2F. Damn! I popped some aspirin and am drinking fluids to beat the band. I have been able to drink a chocolate Boost each day for nutrition, but the nausea makes that tough to do.

Funny thing is I don't remember being around anybody who was sick. I didn't eat anything unusual. All I can do is tough it out and control the fever with aspirin, and maintain fluids.

I'll spring back in a few days...
Old 05-29-2015, 05:51 PM   #17373
Give me a forum ...

Free, get well soon and take care of yourself!

Old 05-30-2015, 06:25 AM   #17374
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
I love this RE life. DH is upstairs editing a recording for the CD his big band is producing this fall. I hear the tones of big band trumpets from his computer.

DS is home from college and has received a callback from a local job opportunity in his major field. He is in the basement working on an original song on DH's synthesizers. I'm preparing shrimp for the BBQ and looking out at the pool that will keep me entertained as the veggies, pasta, and Asian BBQ shrimp cook.

After dinner DH and I will play music together.

It's been a wonderful day.
I love this ER life as well. At five'ish years in, it finally feels completely comfortable and normal. I have to remind myself that my official title is still ER'd when asked, because ER is no longer my first thought. My first thought is whatever I've just completed, or am about to do - "Oh me? I hike many miles a week. I travel months at a time. I indulge my passion to spend time with my grandchild. I decorate. I study Spanish, Shakespeare, wine, art, fill in the blank _____."

Yes, it's truly wonderful.

Yesterday I spent the morning with my 7 month old grandchild teaching her to stand up from a sit with assistance. She loved it! Drove home in the early afternoon and promptly took a nap. Afterward, showered and got prettied up to enjoy the rest of the day with my husband. We enjoyed a glass of wine together, then went out to do some grandbaby shopping, followed by wine tasting at our favorite wine store. We next had an outside patio dinner at our favorite Mediterranean restaurant, then moseyed back home to watch one episode of Chef's Table on Netflix. Tempted afterward to make reservations at one of the restaurants featured, but the verdict is still out on whether that interest would translate to being willing to fork over $300-$400 per diner.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:29 PM   #17375

DW took both DS to see her parents for the weekend - perfect for taking the kitchen sink 'off line' for the weekend so I can caulk it.

I hate caulking. Got the old icky blackening caulk out, cleaned, disinfected, dried with a blow dryer - feeling cocky about how great this was going.

Then got to the part I hate - the actual caulking which I suck at.

It always looks like a drunken pre-schooler drawing with crayons out of the lines in a scribbly mess.

And, it's a race against time to attempt to straighten and even the lines out before it starts to set.

Looks like c**p, but it's done.

Must have used up a whole roll of paper towels, a pile of clean rags and still managed to get it all over my hands, my shirt, the counter top.

I'm toast....gonna crack open several cold adult beverages and crank up some music while doing nothing on the back patio.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:17 PM   #17376

Took six books to the library, four returns and two donations. Came back with five to read.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:54 PM   #17377
Recycles dryer sheets

My goodness...is FIRE ever magical. Humpbacks, orcas...work stress a distant memory... Will be cooking fish n' chips in an hour with fish I caught an hour ago...this FIRE'd life is everything I had hoped it would be...no...it's better.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:44 PM   #17378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Ha! DW and I were there. Her 59th birthday present. Great show ( our 1st Buffet concert) Tailgaters were wild. Lots of drunk, happy people. T-shirts $40 to $70 -- we just bought another beer.... Buffet is one hell of a marketing genius....
I've only seen Buffet once, live... and that was in the early 80's. It was at San Diego State's outdoor amplitheater - and they used to let you bring in coolers as long as you didn't have glass. People had plastic jugs of margeritas!

Bonnie Raitt opened - and she came out and commented "I know why you guys are applauding so loud.... I see those coolers!!!"

It was a great show.

Unfortunately - the venue changed the rules on containers shortly after that.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:56 PM   #17379

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I've only seen Buffet once, live... and that was in the early 80's. It was at San Diego State's outdoor amplitheater - and they used to let you bring in coolers as long as you didn't have glass. People had plastic jugs of margeritas!

Bonnie Raitt opened - and she came out and commented "I know why you guys are applauding so loud.... I see those coolers!!!"

It was a great show.

Unfortunately - the venue changed the rules on containers shortly after that.
Care to date yourself on when that was??

I'm a UCSD alumni - and we had some parties in the early 80's that would be shocking by today's 'standards'.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:13 PM   #17380
Give me a forum ...

I've been to two Buffett shows, both awesome because of the venues: one was down in Hilton Head at the high school football field and the other was a special benefit show he did after Hurricane Hugo in Charleston at the tiny King Street Palace. It was DH and my first official "date". I knew he was a keeper when he showed up in the wee morning hours while I stood in line for tickets (wow, dating myself there) and brought me coffee with a shot of Jameson in it! Considering I was a wee bit underage at the time, I was MOST impressed!

I've never been to one of his stadium shows, but I'd love to do the tailgating!

Closed Thread