Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 07:37 PM   #17421
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinCella View Post
bbbam - my hair has been black with lots of silver highlights for years and I can't tell you how many compliments I get on it. I have had more people tell me never to color it and I never would. It's kinda a cool feature! Men, especially, have said not to color it.
I'm glad it looks good on you and you've had many positive comments made. I really like my 'new' look. It was such a difference after I got all the colored treated hair cut off, I almost didn't recognize myself.

Fingers crossed here too your pup will do well tomorrow.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2015, 07:44 PM   #17422
Give me a forum ...

Sad day the last couple days. DD called me about 9 am on Wednesday to let me know that one of her two cats had been hospitalized and that the prognosis was not good. He had been lethargic, wasn't eating a lot and had started vomiting.

Anyway, long story short, we ended up going to visit her (only 1 1/2 hours away) to support her and see him (the cat) and say our goodbyes. He has spent a lot of time at our house over the 9 years she has had him after picking him up as a 2 month old stray on the streets of Albany, NY. He is my favorite cat of the 5 cats we have had in the family over the years... a really sweet cat and pretty.

He was jaundiced, dehydrated and his bile ducts were not draining properly and they tried treating him with antibiotics, steroids and an IV. Unfortunately, his conditioned worsened overnight and the vet recommended that he be put down and DD reluctantly agreed that he shouldn't suffer any longer.

She came to our house and she and DW buried him under a large pot of flowers in one of our gardens. We are sad that this sweet cat is gone and went so fast (he seemed fine just a few days ago) but are relieved that the poor thing isn't suffering and we got nine years of joy from him.

We have lost two other cats, but they just went out as they normally go in and out all the time but never came home, so we never had to make a decision like this.

RIP Jameson.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:16 PM   #17423
Recycles dryer sheets

So sorry, Pb4. I know how it feels and it is the hardest thing. Here's to you, Jameson.

bbbam - thank you for your thoughts for my Frankie!
Old 06-04-2015, 09:01 PM   #17424
Administrator

I've taken three of our cats on their final journey to the vet. It is never easy. My sincere condolences, pb4uski.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:18 AM   #17425
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
RIP Jameson.
Sorry to hear the sad news, pb4uski.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 06-05-2015, 02:40 AM   #17426
Recycles dryer sheets

PB4uski

I have never been a cat lover, but having taken a 17 year old "puppy" to the vet for a final time, I know how you feel. Condolences to you and your family on your loss.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-05-2015, 06:23 AM   #17427

Aww, PB, so good that you could help your daughter through this. I've been there many times myself, and it never gets easier. It does help to know that you all gave Jameson a great life and and end without suffering. That is the best gift we can give a beloved pet.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:09 AM   #17428
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
DD reluctantly agreed that he shouldn't suffer any longer.

She came to our house and she and DW buried him under a large pot of flowers in one of our gardens....
Reading this final gesture of love on your daughter and DW's part for the kitty brought a little tear to my eye. So sweet.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:25 AM   #17429
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Reading this final gesture of love on your daughter and DW's part for the kitty brought a little tear to my eye. So sweet.
That is indeed a sweet thing to do. When we moved into our house almost 25 years ago, we noticed a large rock in the back yard. Painted on it, though faint and faded, were a heart and a cross and some crooked letters that seemed to be part of a name. We thought that it was a favored family pet long ago laid to rest by some grieving child. The faint lettering and symbols are now totally gone, but we have never moved the rock.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:28 AM   #17430
Give me a forum ...

Thank you all for the condolences. DD seems to have accepted the loss well and said a number of times last night that "its good" knowing that she did the right thing for Jameson and that he is buried here "at home". I told her that she should feel good that she provided a much better life for him than he would have had as a stray like when she rescued him. I'm not usually very emotional about things like this but for some reason that little guy touched me.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:59 PM   #17431
Recycles dryer sheets

Got my pup to the vet at 7 a.m. for her surgery. The surgery became more complicated with surprises in her mouth and the chest X-ray that says she has a slightly larger heart than before. This along with her heart murmur. Several things going out to be biopsied. 2 lumpy things turned out to be three lumpy things. All in all about $1k extra stuff, not what I was expecting but you have to get all the testing done for your baby.

But this changes the birthday plans I had going - was going to be gone a week from home but there will be more vet visits during that time and I want to be able to watch her longer after her surgery. Besides, that extra $1000 took a lot of my vacation money.

She's a huge part of my life and so worth it.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:36 PM   #17432
Give me a forum ...

We did another hike. This one was also about 4 miles, but only a 1500 ft elevation change. It was a lot easier than the one earlier in the week we did, which was 4 miles and 2000 ft.

And we have been having just one meal a day, because I cannot hike after eating. And the hike killed my appetite. Besides dinner, just a light snack for lunch. Won't be long now before I become just skin and bone (BMI of 24 now).
Old 06-05-2015, 05:31 PM   #17433
Give me a forum ...

Sold another air gun today. I'm getting rid of "stuff" and these were gathering dust. EBay won't let me sell even an air gun, so I'm using Gunbroker.com. Amazing what people pay for these. An old air pistol I bought at a garage sale for $10 went for $57 and a modern, but 15 year old pistol sold for the same price as a new one on Amazon.

One more air gun to go. Ka-ching!
Old 06-05-2015, 05:46 PM   #17434
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Got my pup to the vet at 7 a.m. for her surgery. The surgery became more complicated with surprises in her mouth and the chest X-ray that says she has a slightly larger heart than before. This along with her heart murmur. Several things going out to be biopsied. 2 lumpy things turned out to be three lumpy things. All in all about $1k extra stuff, not what I was expecting but you have to get all the testing done for your baby.

But this changes the birthday plans I had going - was going to be gone a week from home but there will be more vet visits during that time and I want to be able to watch her longer after her surgery. Besides, that extra $1000 took a lot of my vacation money.

Priorities shift when you follow your heart.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:56 PM   #17435
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Maybe you just gave her another birthday. Celebrate then! :-)
Old 06-05-2015, 11:52 PM   #17436

Quote:
Thank you all for the condolences. DD seems to have accepted the loss well and said a number of times last night that "its good" knowing that she did the right thing for Jameson and that he is buried here "at home". I told her that she should feel good that she provided a much better life for him than he would have had as a stray like when she rescued him. I'm not usually very emotional about things like this but for some reason that little guy touched me.
I am so sorry for your DD's and your loss. Condolences to all of you. Jameson was lucky to be a member of your family, and he was obviously well-loved. Your DD gave him the greatest gift she could give him - a peaceful end.

I have had to make that final trip with 5 of my own cats over the past 20 years, and with several cats of friends who either needed the emotional support, or couldn't do it themselves. It is always heart-wrenching, but what matters in the end is what's best for the furry companion. I'm glad Jameson is "home" again.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:00 AM   #17437

Quote:

Oh boy, I've been there several times. I used to tell my old vet I hoped she appreciated all the vacations a couple of my cats with recurring conditions sent HER on!!

I hope Frankie recovers quickly from today's surgery, and that the results of the biopsies are not bad news. We do what we have to for these little critters, and they repay it a hundredfold.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:16 AM   #17438
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We're dog people, too. I hope yours recovers nicely.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 06-06-2015, 12:29 AM   #17439
Give me a forum ...

We're still on a decluttering kick. Yesterday we donated an old piece of furniture to charity. Today I've been getting rid of all the empty boxes and a lot of odds and ends in the garage. I have more items laid out to donate tomorrow.

I'm even getting a bit better at organizing food. I cleared out the fridge today and roasted all the leftover veggies in the crock pot with olive oil and Italian seasonings.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:42 AM   #17440
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That sounds like "cleaning the house".

Closed Thread