Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 08:07 AM   #17461
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
The truck may be big but it's living space looks small! DH and I could never be one of those cutting edge couples living in a tiny house. the marriage would not survive!
+1

Three days (DW says only two) of rain and we'd be in trouble...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2015, 08:28 AM   #17462
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

Three days (DW says only two) of rain and we'd be in trouble...
And guess who is right?

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 06-09-2015, 09:47 AM   #17463
Full time employment: Posting here.

Last weekend, DH asked if I could make some strawberry freezer jam this year since I'm ER'd and might have the time. So yesterday
Old 06-09-2015, 09:49 AM   #17464

Oops, hit the wrong button. To continue: over the past two days I made two batches of freezer jam, a batch of "cooked" jam, a pie, and put some crushed berries in the freezer so we can enjoy strawberry shortcake sometime later this year. That should keep DH happy!
Old 06-09-2015, 10:21 AM   #17465
Give me a forum ...

I was just joking about living inside the truck.

On the road, I have seen semitruck drivers with presumably their wifes in the cab with them. I wonder what the space in the cab behind the seats look like. It made a nice niche for a driver to catch a wink during a rest, but is there enough space for two? Do they take turns?
Old 06-09-2015, 01:07 PM   #17466
Recycles dryer sheets

Today is my diabetic eye exam. Fingers crossed.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:55 PM   #17467
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinCella View Post
Today is my diabetic eye exam. Fingers crossed.
I hope your exam goes well.

As for me, I've been busy while DH is away. Been taking care of various projects around the house. Finished painting the hallway yesterday, so today I decided to treat myself. I went shopping and bought some pretty tees and new cosmetics.

Then, I decided to clean the bbq grill. Feeling 'pretty' didn't last long.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:52 PM   #17468

Getting ready for out "big trip". Found out BIL and his family will use our house for their vacation while we're gone... so that means I can't leave it in a shambles. I hate housework so this isn't a fun addition to the pre-trip prep.

We're doing some interesting meal planning - figuring out what we can make from the contents of the fridge and freezer.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:31 PM   #17469
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks, BBBam! Been hanging with my dog who had the surgery, $1k more than estimated. No vacation for me anymore...
Old 06-09-2015, 04:56 PM   #17470

Went out with DW to collect a $45 check from a consignment shop where DW had left her motorcycle riding gear. They sold the jacket but not the pants yet. They could have mailed the check of course but she wanted to go to a store nearby anyway for some socks. Then to the bank and deposit said check, then to the gym, then to the farmer's market near there for some fresh corn and blueberries. Went home, cooked some of the corn, read a book for a while, then posting here while munching green grapes and blueberries.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:29 PM   #17471

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Getting ready for out "big trip". Found out BIL and his family will use our house for their vacation while we're gone... so that means I can't leave it in a shambles. I hate housework so this isn't a fun addition to the pre-trip prep.
Are you charging them rent? If not, leave a few chores for them (although I understand you can't just leave everything in total disarray.

My big project today was moving our printer/scanner from DH's office/man cave into my craft room/2nd guest room. He has been demanding asking that I do this for quite a while - he gets really annoyed about once a month when I bother him a little too much, and then he doesn't mention it for weeks. I needed to rearrange some things anyway, so I also tackled a couple of boxes - one was stuff from my office drawers and the other from the desk drawer at our previous house. Neither had been opened in close to 5 years. Found lots of junk and a few treasures - the hole punch I've had since jr. high, and my HP12C that I've had since 2nd semester of business school in 1981. Just for grins, I picked up new batteries at the grocery store this afternoon and it still works like a charm!

In addition to the project (he is happy!), I made arrangements to have recall work done on our RV, made reservations at a campground for this weekend, paid some bills, emptied the shredder, recycled the newspapers, and did the grocery shopping.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:43 PM   #17472
Recycles dryer sheets

Big workout today...5 mile run, 1.5 hours weight training...

Tomorrow catching a ferry to head over to "my island"...a week of gardening, fishing (with subsequent deep frying of fresh fillets), crabbing, some good hikes...

And lots of this of course. Cause it's what I do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (181.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 06-09-2015, 09:06 PM   #17473
Moderator Emeritus

Swapped out 4 ceiling incandescent spot lights in our kitchen with 4 LED conversion units. Added a dimmer on the system. Will do the same where other high use bulbs are over time.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:32 PM   #17474
Recycles dryer sheets

Spent the day at a beautiful mountain lake with DH, DD, and puppy. We had a great time, relaxed, had a picnic, played in the water, and got a bit too much sun. Puppy was beyond tired after all that and has been sleeping for the past 3 hours. I bet she sleeps until morning.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:56 AM   #17475

DW and I took a leisurely drive from South Fl to Chicago to hang out with the family for a while. It was a pleasant and uneventful trip. The highways were the busiest we've seen in almost a decade. Lots of trucks and RVs, hotel parking lots were full, and we saw three moving vans this trip - compared with three in total over the last 5 years.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:11 AM   #17476
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What did you do today?
Ycch!... You don't wanna know.
On Memorial Day after a jewel four day visit with our whole family at the lake, all downhill from there.
Last day, DW broken arm after after a bad fall... emergency room visit... now, cast for 6 weeks.
Five days later, moi... emergency room visit having to do with BPH... You can guess what that means. No clue, no forewarning and fortunately not serious. After that quick brush with death, two weeks of staying home until the health appliance is no longer necessary.
No pain for either of us, just nuisance value and a few weeks of missing time at our poor man's lakeside Shangri-la.
Accounts for more time here with long and wordy posts. Hopefully by Friday, the all clear. Grass needs mowing, seawall, fixing, firewood, splitting, and the roads and trails need biking.
Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Woodhaven Lakes Sublette Illinois.jpg (1.00 MB, 22 views)
Old 06-10-2015, 01:49 PM   #17477
Give me a forum ...

We recently needed repair work on our deck and soffits . We contacted several builders including some from Angie's list , Home Advisor , Lowes & home depot . They would not show up or gave ridiculous quotes . I finally checked craigs list and found a builder . He came when he said he would . His estimate was reasonable and he has done a great job . Who would have guessed Craigs list was the place to go ?
Old 06-10-2015, 03:38 PM   #17478
Recycles dryer sheets

Went to the bank to get my brother on all my accounts. This counts as a will in our family since we have no other assets. He'll care for my animals should something happen. Then to out for a Japanese lunch, then the library to pick up some books, one about the first detective in the United States.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:16 PM   #17479

Quiet breakfast before DW went to w*rk, and youngest DS went to school (oldest DS is home from college and was still sleeping).

Piddled about doing some chores, then decided to get out of the house.

Drove up to the San Elijo Lagoon to check out the Visitor Center, walk around a bit.

Then connected in a visit to Lou's Records in Encinitas.

I flipped thru all of the used rock LPs and came home with several cheap buys from 99 cents to 3.99 each.

Cleaned them up on my record cleaning machine and am playing them now.

Prep for dinner later.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:54 PM   #17480
Recycles dryer sheets

Just got done cleaning and restaining/watersealing about 200 sq ft of deck and cleaned out about 40 feet of gutter to boot - by myself. I guess I could have waited for the husband to help over the weekend, but I kind of take a bit of pride in getting this stuff done without any help, and he really appreciates me taking care of things like this so he doesn't have to work like a dog on his days off too.

And I think it counts for moderate exercise, so I feel pretty good about it!

I'm sore and a bit sunburned despite wearing sunblock and giant hat, but at least the deck looks nice again and the gutter won't overflow during the next rain.

If the weather holds through tomorrow, I'll attempt to mow and edge the front and back yard as well. I love having all this time to do chores around the house now - it seems less trouble when I can decide when I want to work on this stuff instead of stuffing it into the little bit of time off I had from work.

Baking bread tonight, and maybe start some dough for pizza crust as well. Have to see how I feel.