Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 04:21 PM   #17541

DW and I went to see Jurassic World yesterday. Definitely a film that needs a big screen.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2015, 04:29 PM   #17542

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
DW and I went to see Jurassic World yesterday. Definitely a film that needs a big screen.
Is it worth seeing? I've seen varying reviews.

I stumbled across the trailer for The Martian - didn't even know they were going to make a movie of it. If it is half as good as the book that is a "must see".

Love this little bit at the end of the trailer:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg help.JPG (22.0 KB, 27 views)

Old 06-19-2015, 04:33 PM   #17543

Sensing that our septic system is experiencing increased flows since our retirement, I had the septic tank pumped. Cut the grass, and spent some time trying to photograph the 2 foxes that have taken residence near our house.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:58 PM   #17544
Moderator Emeritus

Put a new defrost timer, thermostat and defrost heater into our old fridge and moved it to the garage for part time use. Power washed my driveway. Took a rest after a hot shower and wondered what appliance or other machine around here will fail next.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:36 PM   #17545
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quiet breakfast, DW took the day off from w*rk.

We then headed out to play lookie-loo at some fancy schmansy model homes in the Del Sur area.

Holy moly - the houses were on big 1/2 acre lots, all the luxury upgrades, humongous sq footage. Starting at the 'mid 1 million' mark.

Very nice....indeed. One model home had a 'super laundry room' with 2 washers, 2 dryers, a refrigerator, a doggy/pet tub/shower area, sink, and wine cooler.

Then we drove out up the I15 east of Rancho Bernardo into the Highland Valley area to visit a winery we've never been to - Cordianos.

We enjoyed the scenic hilly view and chatted up one of the older Italian vintners while sipping the 7-flight sampler special of reds. It did kinda feel like Italy(never been, but you know...from pictures...).

A bit warm, yes, but a nice breeze. Great pizza made on premises to compliment the wine. DW loved the Merlot, I really liked the Cabernet.

Drove home and now relaxing and trying to stay cool - got the fan going, front and back doors open, nice jazz on the music system, sipping a cold beverage before dinner.

I think DW is getting past her OMY hurdle as she commented that we could do this all the time!
Old 06-20-2015, 12:29 PM   #17546
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Two washers, two dryers? Is it to run a laundromat to offset the 7-figure cost of the house?

We came back into town yesterday, because I am hosting a Father's Day lunch tomorrow. Just came back from a grocery run to get food for 16. My siblings and their married children will bring some food, but it's always better to have more than not enough. The stores were clean and air-conditioned. Food was plentiful and inexpensive. The store clerks were friendly. Life's great, no matter what tomorrow brings.

I intended to do some beef shish kabobs, but then saw that they had some sliced beef on sale. So, I now need to look up a Moroccan style seasoning for this beef, for it to go with a tabbouleh couscous salad. Did I already say that life's good?
Old 06-20-2015, 12:42 PM   #17547

Walked from our rental apartment to the Riposto Duomo. Ate some granita e brioche. Watched the interesting cloud formations over Mt. Etna.

Getting ready to go to dinner with half of the town of Riposto in attendance - all of the 2nd and 3rd cousins (husband's side) are going to meet us for a big pizza dinner. Seriously about 25-30 people, not counting us). It will be hard to top the pistachio and pancetta pizza I ate last night with one of the cousins.

Here's a picture of the granita experience... I had the pistachio and everyone else had ciocolatto
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150620_112655.jpg (388.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 06-20-2015, 12:45 PM   #17548

Pistachio and pancetta pizza sounds amazing.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:15 PM   #17549
Administrator

Today was car maintenance day - change oil and filter, rotate tires, flush and refill brake system. I was working out in the driveway instead of in the garage, and it started raining before I was done, so it was less fun than normal. The young wife was less than pleased to trek out in the rain periodically to be my brake pedal pumper.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:29 PM   #17550
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Replaced the rear shocks on my truck (45,000 miles) in an effort to improve the ride a bit for an upcoming RV trip. DW isn't a fan of the rough ride we got the last time we hauled the 5th wheel to FL on I-10. I keep wondering what the folks in LA do with the highway money they get from the US govt. Definitely not spent on maintaining their interstate highways...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 06-20-2015, 02:44 PM   #17551

Morning breakfast with the family - discussed plans for the day. DW going to her zoomba class, DS's going to an outdoor alt-rock concert (after doing chores first, of course).

I made a run to the market - picked up some items for the weekend grilling.

Tonight I'm prepping a big top sirloin with bacon wrapped asparagus, baked potatoes with the works and garlic toast.

The top sirloin was cut fresh while I watched at the butcher counter - thick!

All seasoned and setting up in the fridge now while I do some afternoon gardening before dinner
Old 06-20-2015, 03:31 PM   #17552
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
... DW isn't a fan of the rough ride we got the last time we hauled the 5th wheel to FL on I-10. I keep wondering what the folks in LA do with the highway money they get from the US govt. Definitely not spent on maintaining their interstate highways...
+1

In my experience, the freeway there was not as good as in Nova Scotia which had a lower population density I believe. In our recent trip, even the rural roads in Washington State were fairly good.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:41 PM   #17553

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Two washers, two dryers? Is it to run a laundromat to offset the 7-figure cost of the house?
I've heard of two dishwashers before but that's a new one on me too. Maybe just to fill what would otherwise be empty space?

I mowed the "back 40" this morning, showered, took a nap, ate lunch, read three pages of a novel, took a nap, read some more, napped, ate some sausage, took a nap, read some more, ate some mint chocolate chip ice cream, took a nap....

I like this retirement gig.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:47 PM   #17554

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I've heard of two dishwashers before but that's a new one on me too. Maybe just to fill what would otherwise be empty space?

I mowed the "back 40" this morning, showered, took a nap, ate lunch, read three pages of a novel, took a nap, read some more, napped, ate some sausage, took a nap, read some more, ate some mint chocolate chip ice cream, took a nap....

I like this retirement gig.
The sq footage on this house was massive - maybe they were thinking of family, extended family, pets, guests, and servants.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:30 PM   #17555
Administrator

Quote:
Replaced the rear shocks on my truck (45,000 miles) in an effort to improve the ride a bit for an upcoming RV trip. DW isn't a fan of the rough ride we got the last time we hauled the 5th wheel to FL on I-10. I keep wondering what the folks in LA do with the highway money they get from the US govt. Definitely not spent on maintaining their interstate highways...
I don't know about the interstates, or the rest of Louisiana, but here in New Orleans we have potholes inside our potholes.

As one of those folks in LA, I am waiting for my fair share of the interstate repair money. It should be here any day now, or so I have been thinking for decades. Checked my mailbox again, not here yet, oh well...

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-20-2015, 04:37 PM   #17556
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I've heard of two dishwashers before...
Two dishwashers would be nice. Also, two or three double sinks.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:42 PM   #17557

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
As one of those folks in LA, I am waiting for my fair share of the interstate repair money. It should be here any day now, or so I have been thinking for decades. Checked my mailbox again, not here yet, oh well...
I think all hopes of you getting a cut of that money disappeared with the death of The Kingfish.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:43 PM   #17558

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Two dishwashers would be nice.
DW has been known to express a desire for two men: one to cook and one to clean...

Old 06-20-2015, 04:48 PM   #17559
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
The sq footage on this house was massive - maybe they were thinking of family, extended family, pets, guests, and servants.

Include me in the tiny house movement...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 06-20-2015, 04:59 PM   #17560
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
DW has been known to express a desire for two men: one to cook and one to clean...
She misses one more for, er, other tasks?