Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 12:09 PM   #17641

Sitting at home while a new roof is being put on the house.
The crew showed up a little before 7 am and they promise to finish completely, including cleanup, by suppertime. Pretty impressive operation.

They were originally scheduled to do it Thursday, but thunderstorm predictions postponed it to today. I was surprised they work on Saturday, but in a weather-dependent profession I guess you do whatever you can.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2015, 03:57 PM   #17642
Recycles dryer sheets

About to reap veggies from the garden. Then my wife and I are going to pull up our crab traps, hopefully to find a bounty of Dungeness crab. Butter and garlic on standby.

Pacific Northwest feast night.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:10 PM   #17643
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
About to reap veggies from the garden. Then my wife and I are going to pull up our crab traps, hopefully to find a bounty of Dungeness crab. Butter and garlic on standby.

Pictures...or it never happened!
Old 06-27-2015, 04:16 PM   #17644
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

+1. Need photo to see if the crabs are of legal size.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-27-2015, 04:28 PM   #17645

Made French toast for the family breakfast, drove DW to her Zoomba class, then headed to the market to pick up the items for dinner tonight - chicken drumsticks, mozzarella sticks, salad, nice wine.

Helped(forced!) youngest DS with his college selection/planning

Cleaned up some used LP records on my record cleaning machine (RCM) I bought on Wednesday at Cow Record and Tapes in Ocean Beach.

Now, just rocking out with my purchases before firing up the bbq for dinner.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:03 PM   #17646
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post

Hopefully the Dungeness is safe to eat in your area.
The southern coast of Washington state has been closed due to high levels of toxins -
Southern coast closed to all Dungeness crab fishing due to increase in marine toxins | The Seattle Times
Old 06-28-2015, 06:16 AM   #17647
Administrator

Went to see Lady Gaga / Tony Bennett yesterday. We usually have lawn seats (live music, can't see the stage while sitting, much less $$) for concerts, but this time I bought 2 assigned seats in the pavilion and we took turns seeing hem on stage - even the grandchildren. It was worth the extra $
Old 06-28-2015, 07:54 AM   #17648
Give me a forum ...

Rolling Stones last night at Arrowhead. Great show!
Old 06-28-2015, 08:22 AM   #17649

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Maybe they are new owners too and waiting to see if you pull yours out. LOL Why not pull it out? too heavy?
The other docks were put on the water earlier this month and from looking at them, you can tell they've been around for a while. Checked this morning and dock is still there, water is up from 2.5 ft yesterday to 8.5 ft this morning and expected to rise another foot or so. Cables seem to be holding well although the dock and ramp are now surrounded by water. Our bank is a bit steeper than some others near by so may have to rethink how the ramp is attached- maybe add some floats to it so it can rise a bit on it's own a bit more. Don't mind that it's surrounded now as the water is so high and muddy that we won't go out for a few days anyway- water is expected to be back to the 4 ft. level by tomorrow morning and we should be in good shape again.

Dock is too heavy to be moved in and out often but we will use a winch to pull it out at the end of the season.

Will wander back down to the camp this afternoon and watch the water and flotsam go by.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:28 AM   #17650

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Rolling Stones last night at Arrowhead. Great show!
Sounds like fun, I'd like to see the Rolling Stones but don't deal with crowds well anymore.

I was a high school senior in 1973 when Arrowhead and the Royals stadiums were built. I was the sports editor on the school paper and did a story on the construction. The Chiefs organization was very nice to me, got a really good tour as the original artificial turf was going in- still have a piece of it somewhere around here in a box I'll bet. It was laid over asphalt and the surface was hot and hard as a rock- can't imagine having to play on that surface, not surprising it was the cause of a lot of injuries and road rash type burns. Haven't been in either stadium in 25 years but they look like they've been upgraded well over the years and kept reasonably modern but maintained good sight lines? The cost at the time was certainly an issue but having purpose built stadiums for their sport made them great places to watch a game.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:11 AM   #17651

Quiet Sunday breakfast, just DW & I - the boys were off volunteering for a trail maintenance group in the PQ Preserve.

Then the usual Sunday grocery run.

Got DW to go on a hike with me in the PQ Preserve - took her to the new footbridge over the creek and on a nice shaded trail. Her pedometer tracked us walking 3.7 miles, nice hike.

Fiddled about in the garden for bit, made up some hamburger patties for dinner, then relaxed on the patio until dinner.

Burgers were tasty - esp with a nice CA Zin.

Watched PBS in the evening, getting sucked into the new series The Crimson Field (a bit intense but good so far).
Old 06-29-2015, 01:52 PM   #17652
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Never heard that one! How true.
BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand

How about this one ?
A BOAT is a hole in the water that you pour money into so you don't sink.

It has been raining almost every day here, so I still have to get over and do my preliminary debugging (fuses, voltage checks at ignition module, loose connection hunting, etc) before I call in the experts. The fact that it started with no problem at the launch, but then failed to start again after an extended ride over semi-rough water points to a vibration related issue (loose or corroded connection). I did not dislodge anything while cleaning.
If it turns out I need a new throttle/shift control unit, I'll get that ordered and convince the boat repair guy to install it at the dock, with me assisting (handing him tools, helping with multimeter check).

I'm optimistic. I can still enjoy the waterfront and swim off the dock until I get the problem resolved. Just think of the gas I'll save.

The next three days are going to be wet, so I will get cracking on the web and see if I can find/order an electrical system diagram for the system. It would be really great if I could order an engine manual. I'm no stranger to small engine and basic automotive engine mechanics.
And...I did score a 98 on the final for the US Power Squadron Marine Electronics course. I'll figure it out.

For today, I'm goofing off.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:00 PM   #17653
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Thanks for the recommendation regarding the Duck Boat tour. We have heard about it, but not sure if we'll do that or not.

Currently I'm in Boston. This afternoon we're going to a pahty....ayuh.
If you REALLY want to score big with the locals, tell them you are from the same state that produced Brock Holt. Guaranteed free beer !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brock_Holt

Of particular note...
In 2015, Holt made the opening day roster for the first time. On June 16th, 2015, Holt hit for the cycle against the Atlanta Braves at Fenway Park. He doubled, singled, and homered off of Julio Teheran, and completed it with a triple in the 8th off of Sugar Ray Marimon. In doing so he became the first Red Sox player to accomplish the feat in 19 years, since John Valentin in 1996.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:44 PM   #17654
Give me a forum ...

Installed a new toilet!

Actually not a big deal. Costco has a dual flush unit for $85 that comes with everything you need including a wax ring, braided supply line and mounting bolts. So far I'm impressed with how water efficient it is - even has a slow close lid and it sits a little higher than the old unit.

My old American Standard toilets (three) were all original from 1966 and have never required a repair in the 25 years that I've lived here. I just decided that it was time to replace them with their 5 gallon flushes.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:54 PM   #17655
Give me a forum ...

A few hours of kayaking then stop for coffee.

Went to the mancave, admired the scenery and watched a momma bird launch two fully grown chcicks out of the nest for their first flight. The chicks made lots of protestations and a lot of flapping of wings to land on my deck. After a few minutes they flew away following momma, to park themselves in a tree a few hundred feet away.

Their nest was under my awning. I was maybe five feet away in my lawn chair, nursing a glass of vino during the show. They were pretty well used to my presence.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:18 AM   #17656
Give me a forum ...

Today's mission is to watch it rain and thunderstorm. Indoor projects are the order of the day.
I never run out of those.

Sometimes I get antsy and perhaps a tad bored when stuck inside...but then I consider the alternative. 8 years ago I would have been returning from lunch and entering my w*rkplace dreading the proverbial 2 PM meeting from hell. The type of meeting where slides are presented in a semi darkened room and the audience struggles to stay awake.

FIRE is good stuff.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:32 AM   #17657
Give me a forum ...

Made my first purchase from Jet, an Amazon alternative start up.

Item was dog toothpaste. Amazon price - $11.65, Jet $7.59. Both with free shipping for over $35. I bought 5 boxes, I hope the dog lives long enough to use it all.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:45 AM   #17658
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Made my first purchase from Jet, an Amazon alternative start up.

Item was dog toothpaste. Amazon price - $11.65, Jet $7.59. Both with free shipping for over $35. I bought 5 boxes, I hope the dog lives long enough to use it all.
I'm impressed. Tough enough to teach our dog to sit, much less to brush his teeth...
Old 07-01-2015, 12:34 PM   #17659
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm impressed. Tough enough to teach our dog to sit, much less to brush his teeth...
Yes, but does he floss?
Old 07-01-2015, 12:38 PM   #17660
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Not as often as he should.