Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2015, 10:09 AM   #17681
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Yonder
Posts: 302
I went hiking this week near the Palisades reservoir by Yellowstone. It's beautiful country, even though the "carry bear spray!" and "warning! Grizzly country!" signs were spooky. We didn't see any bears, but after 8 miles of hiking, the trail broke loose under my left foot, and found myself traveling head-first downhill on my back. I could tell I was speeding up- the slope was very steep. My head bounced off a few rocks, but fortunately stopped after ~25 feet, upside down, just a couple feet before the river. The CAT scan said I was OK, and I have some staples in my head and road rash on my back. It was interesting how fast the whole thing happened, and how little control I had.
__________________

__________________
tfudtuckerpucker is offline  
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2015, 10:16 AM   #17682
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfudtuckerpucker View Post
I went hiking this week near the Palisades reservoir by Yellowstone. It's beautiful country, even though the "carry bear spray!" and "warning! Grizzly country!" signs were spooky. We didn't see any bears, but after 8 miles of hiking, the trail broke loose under my left foot, and found myself traveling head-first downhill on my back. I could tell I was speeding up- the slope was very steep. My head bounced off a few rocks, but fortunately stopped after ~25 feet, upside down, just a couple feet before the river. The CAT scan said I was OK, and I have some staples in my head and road rash on my back. It was interesting how fast the whole thing happened, and how little control I had.
Dang! You are lucky!

Still - coulda been worse - you could have slid down the river next to a bear fishing in the river and it turned its attention to you.

We were hiking in Sedona a couple of years back when we met some folks on the trail coming back the other way - said they heard a bear. We turned around too - don't like bears.
__________________

__________________
BBQ-Nut is offline  
Old 07-02-2015, 10:22 AM   #17683
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,438
Oh man! That was scary. At least you are OK, and only have some scars to show for it.

I am heading up to my high-country hideout later today to escape the heat. I should have spent more time up there, but there's always something to keep me in town. Maybe my wife is a bit reluctant to leave her veggie garden unattended.

The cell phone data is very limited up there, because ATT network is not present, and they limit out-of-network data to a stinkin' 400MB per billing cycle. So, maybe y'all will not see me here much until I am back in town.
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline  
Old 07-02-2015, 10:46 AM   #17684
Moderator
Ronstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: A little ways southwest of Chicago
Posts: 9,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfudtuckerpucker View Post
I went hiking this week near the Palisades reservoir by Yellowstone. It's beautiful country, even though the "carry bear spray!" and "warning! Grizzly country!" signs were spooky. We didn't see any bears, but after 8 miles of hiking, the trail broke loose under my left foot, and found myself traveling head-first downhill on my back. I could tell I was speeding up- the slope was very steep. My head bounced off a few rocks, but fortunately stopped after ~25 feet, upside down, just a couple feet before the river. The CAT scan said I was OK, and I have some staples in my head and road rash on my back. It was interesting how fast the whole thing happened, and how little control I had.
Whoa! Take care of yourself and best wishes for a speedy recovery!
__________________
Ronstar is offline  
Old 07-02-2015, 11:50 AM   #17685
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post

We were hiking in Sedona a couple of years back when we met some folks on the trail coming back the other way - said they heard a bear. We turned around too - don't like bears.
Last weekend we turned around because of something much smaller, bees.

We were hiking in a remote corner of a local park when we found a women stripped to her underwear. She had been stung all over her legs a bit further down the trail. We tried to call the park rangers but we had no cell phone signal. She did not seem to have an allergic reaction to the stings so we attended to her ourselves because I always carry a well-stocked emergency kit. While doing so, a trail runner passed us. We warned her about the bees but she did not listen. Five minutes later, she came running back, screaming. Some people always have to know better. Anyway, we decided to turn around and find an alternate trail.

I wish you a prompt recovery, tfudtuckerpucker.
__________________
FIREd is offline  
Old 07-02-2015, 12:50 PM   #17686
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Manhattan Beach
Posts: 194
Test-driving RE today ... actually have been more or less doing that all week and really can't figure out how I had time to hold down a full-time demanding job.

So today has been a day of logistics and errands for the most part. Driving DS to class, then helping DW move around some furniture in the ongoing effort to convert the guest room into my office ... made a few trades closing out or rolling my positions for the week ahead of the long weekend ... setting up my new home trade station ... prepping the house for the inlaws' arrival later today ...

On the + side, I did get in a nice 5-ish mi run with DW and I'm going to go surfing after lunch if it's not too windy; the swell is poor but it's turning into a nice beach day and not nearly as much of a crowd as there will be tomorrow and through the weekend.

Dinner out with friends this evening planned. So far so good!
__________________
TallTim is offline  
Old 07-02-2015, 02:31 PM   #17687
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 16,571
Drove all over town, or it seemed that way. First stop the hospital to get some stuff for DW to swallow for an upcoming CT scan. She's had a recurring but intermittent pain in her side that the docs say is a pulled muscle but it keeps returning so this is an effort to figure out what it is, or confirm what it is. She even went to the emergency room once for it because the pain was so intense.

Then to the gym nearby, opticians to pick up some contact lenses, grocery store for grapes and blueberries (great summertime snack) then the library to return books and pick up new ones. Came home for a late lunch.
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline  
Old 07-02-2015, 03:11 PM   #17688
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,555
I started participating in a healthy coaching research study at the Healthy Aging Lab in the Department of Psychology at our local college. I met with my health coach and we came up with 3 goals for the next 3 weeks and then my ultimate goal by Halloween. I had to answer several questions, had my height and weight taken and my waist circumference measured. Then had to wear a heart monitor and do some aging tests on a computer. She gave me a watch to wear that shows steps taken, calories burned, heart rate, how long I have walked and that will measure my sleep and how long I am in the different stages of sleep. I will be meeting with her once per week for 3 weeks and they will download the information from the watch and to see how my goals are coming along. Later on, don't remember when, I will complete information on my computer regarding how things are going. This watch and knowing that they will be looking at it, was great encouragement to go for a long walk today.
__________________
Dreamer is offline  
Old 07-02-2015, 03:17 PM   #17689
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
freebird5825's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Nowhere, 43N Latitude, NY
Posts: 9,017
I went for my physical and female tune-up (pelvic/pap/breast exam) today. I blew it off last year, just because. I got a small medical nag for that.

My blood pressure is 118/67.
I am 10 lbs lighter than I was 2 years ago
I wrote up a list of symptoms (mostly menopausal) and non-serious but annoying stuff that has been bothering me. The doc loved the pre-written list because it gave her something to review quickly instead of spending time with time consuming Q&A.
Her blood work Rx was based on my symptom report plus the usual stuff.
I also wrote up a list of activities I had been doing to overcome the menopausal stuff, diet changes, and reading a variety of self-help books written by MDs. The doctor's comment was that in all her years of medicine, she had never seen a patient do so many proactive things for herself.

Once I get a few tests run, I go back in 3 weeks to go over the results. Nothing serious going on, but chronic enough issues that I needed to report them.

I'm glad I went.
__________________
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
freebird5825 is offline  
Old 07-02-2015, 03:22 PM   #17690
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,555
Great job Freebird! Good bp, lost weight and being proactive. You go girl!
__________________
Dreamer is offline  
Old 07-02-2015, 03:40 PM   #17691
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
freebird5825's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Nowhere, 43N Latitude, NY
Posts: 9,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Great job Freebird! Good bp, lost weight and being proactive. You go girl!
Thanks

Most of my major symptoms are sleep disruption, low energy, and general crabbiness. When these become chronic, it lowers quality of life.

The book that helped me the most was The Wisdom of Menopause by Christiane North. Other ones were the Mayo Clinic Guide to Stress Free Living by Amit Sood and The Positive Thinking Secret by Brad Collins. I have others, but these were the best.

I know most of the forum members are guys, but for you ladies and the guys who have ladies in their lives, trust me...menopausal symptoms are real.
I have been struggling with physical and psychological issues brought on by hormonal changes for several months. The books really helped me understand that I'm not going crazy (-ier ) and there are positive things I can do to help with that.

Knowledge is power !
__________________
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
freebird5825 is offline  
Old 07-02-2015, 03:54 PM   #17692
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I started participating in a healthy coaching research study at the Healthy Aging Lab in the Department of Psychology at our local college. I met with my health coach and we came up with 3 goals for the next 3 weeks and then my ultimate goal by Halloween. I had to answer several questions, had my height and weight taken and my waist circumference measured. Then had to wear a heart monitor and do some aging tests on a computer. She gave me a watch to wear that shows steps taken, calories burned, heart rate, how long I have walked and that will measure my sleep and how long I am in the different stages of sleep. I will be meeting with her once per week for 3 weeks and they will download the information from the watch and to see how my goals are coming along. Later on, don't remember when, I will complete information on my computer regarding how things are going. This watch and knowing that they will be looking at it, was great encouragement to go for a long walk today.
I'm glad you are motivated to improve your health, but the thought that "they" are monitoring your watch....ugghhhh...rubs me the wrong way...just me.
__________________
BBQ-Nut is offline  
Old 07-02-2015, 04:41 PM   #17693
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 8,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Most of my major symptoms are sleep disruption, low energy, and general crabbiness.
DW was complaining about exactly this set of symptoms, and I suggested she join me in taking daily supplements of CoQ10 and magnesium. That was about 5-6 weeks ago, and just the other day she commented that the symptoms were greatly diminished.

For magnesium, around 300-400 mg per day is a good amount. You want the chelated form, so look for magnesium citrate or magnesium aspartate, or magnesium citrimate.

For CoQ10, around 100 mg per day is a good amount, unless you have been taking statins, in which case you would want to double or triple that amount.

As always, don't just take my word for it, and do your own research, but these are pretty useful supplements IMHO.
__________________
braumeister is offline  
Old 07-02-2015, 05:25 PM   #17694
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado Mountains
Posts: 2,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfudtuckerpucker View Post
I went hiking this week near the Palisades reservoir by Yellowstone. It's beautiful country, even though the "carry bear spray!" and "warning! Grizzly country!" signs were spooky. We didn't see any bears, but after 8 miles of hiking, the trail broke loose under my left foot, and found myself traveling head-first downhill on my back. I could tell I was speeding up- the slope was very steep. My head bounced off a few rocks, but fortunately stopped after ~25 feet, upside down, just a couple feet before the river. The CAT scan said I was OK, and I have some staples in my head and road rash on my back. It was interesting how fast the whole thing happened, and how little control I had.
Glad you are ok, but I am tired of this hospital stuff already. Spent the day at the hospital. My friend's brain surgery went like a textbook operation. He was doing great and then unthinkingly blew his nose. That is how they did the operation so he might have set himself back. I'll check in on him in a little while before heading back across the city.
__________________
Hermit is offline  
Old 07-02-2015, 05:33 PM   #17695
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 60
No hospital visits for me (thank God). Just work and food store. Maybe going to see fireworks with a few friends tonight.

Have not slept well the last three nights. I just might stay home and pack it in early.
__________________
I find this early retirement topic sooo very overwhelming.
lampshade is offline  
Old 07-02-2015, 07:25 PM   #17696
Recycles dryer sheets
Taxman59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 484
Slept in, did some shopping for our trip, took a nap then went to dinner with DW and 2 DS. Total bill $310!! Had gift cards which covered first $250, leaving a $60 tip on a net $50 bill seemed strange, but the food and service were worth it! Now back to the LBYM hat we have lived for the past 5+ years!


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
Taxman59 is offline  
Old 07-02-2015, 07:53 PM   #17697
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I wrote up a list of symptoms (mostly menopausal) and non-serious but annoying stuff that has been bothering me. The doc loved the pre-written list because it gave her something to review quickly instead of spending time with time consuming Q&A.

Great job on losing weight . Menopause is awful but it does eventually end .
__________________
Moemg is offline  
Old 07-02-2015, 07:59 PM   #17698
Recycles dryer sheets
Taxman59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Menopause is awful but it does eventually end .

As the spouse of a menopausal woman, I hope it ends soon!


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
Taxman59 is offline  
Old 07-02-2015, 08:43 PM   #17699
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 421
Finished our 4 day leisurely drive to our rental cabin in FairPlay, CO for the month.
__________________
folivier is offline  
Old 07-03-2015, 07:04 AM   #17700
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
freebird5825's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Nowhere, 43N Latitude, NY
Posts: 9,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
DW was complaining about exactly this set of symptoms, and I suggested she join me in taking daily supplements of CoQ10 and magnesium. That was about 5-6 weeks ago, and just the other day she commented that the symptoms were greatly diminished.

For magnesium, around 300-400 mg per day is a good amount. You want the chelated form, so look for magnesium citrate or magnesium aspartate, or magnesium citrimate.

For CoQ10, around 100 mg per day is a good amount, unless you have been taking statins, in which case you would want to double or triple that amount.

As always, don't just take my word for it, and do your own research, but these are pretty useful supplements IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Great job on losing weight . Menopause is awful but it does eventually end .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman59 View Post
As the spouse of a menopausal woman, I hope it ends soon!
I'll check with my doc to see if those supplements are ok to take with the medicine I am currently on for the symptoms. I've heard of them but not in the context of helping with menopausal symptoms.

Eventually ends ? I've heard that rumor. Exercise seems to be the best antidote for the crabbiness...it takes my mind off it. The Mayo Clinic Guide book has some great ideas for improving mental outlook in the face of stress. The stressing part of these symptoms is I wish they would go away, but they persist, day after day after day. The hot flashes keep me indoors
in AC on nice warm summer days, and interrupt my sleep at night. The frustration of dealing with that takes a toll after a while.

In spite of all that, I shall prevail !
__________________

__________________
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
freebird5825 is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did 2008-09 Results Help You Now? Idnar7 FIRE and Money 42 10-27-2015 10:10 AM
California Munis Closed End Funds tanked today, why? Disappointed FIRE and Money 10 01-20-2008 07:15 PM
Did you retire or Did you quit GTM Life after FIRE 19 03-09-2006 02:06 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:22 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.