Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 12:10 PM   #17721
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just shave off a few slivers of this into your blender when you make that juice. You'll be good to go.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2015, 12:13 PM   #17722
Give me a forum ...

Returned home a couple of days ago from a wonderful trip to the northeast. Today I'm getting back in the swing of things as apparently no maids or cooks will show up.

We enjoyed beautiful scenery, cool temps and everyone we came in contact with was welcoming and gracious.

...and we encountered raspberries soaked in moonshine, cherries soaked in moonshine and a moon from a turkey....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06509.jpg (601.0 KB, 15 views)

Old 07-06-2015, 01:20 PM   #17723
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Bought my Dream House.

Inside the levee on 'high' ground! Right?

heh heh heh - all my old New Orleans friends are in Covington, Bush, Carriere, Pearl River,Liberty Bayou, Picayune. . They got settled and never made it back to the city.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:30 PM   #17724
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Bought my Dream House.

How's the house and your head?
Old 07-06-2015, 04:14 PM   #17725

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Yesterday we went down to DW's uncle's place on the Patuxent River near Solomons (you can see the bridge from his back yard) for the annual July 4th family gathering and crabs caught from his dock.
Count me jealous, also. I miss summer crab feasts a lot - nothing like spreading out the week's newspapers on the table, cracking open a cold one (or two), and tackling a pile of freshly cooked crabs covered in Old Bay with a mallet and knife. Mmmmmmm....
Old 07-06-2015, 05:12 PM   #17726
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Inside the levee on 'high' ground! Right?

heh heh heh - all my old New Orleans friends are in Covington, Bush, Carriere, Pearl River,Liberty Bayou, Picayune. . They got settled and never made it back to the city.
Right! We're a mile west of the 17th St. Canal. First time in the past 19 years that I have lived north of I-10, although just a few blocks north. I'm at 2.9 feet below sea level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
How's the house and your head?
House is better than great, list of moving in tasks is exhausting and overwhelming, head is fine but hurts (as does everything else by now). So, I am trying not to push myself so hard. We'll see how that works out.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-06-2015, 05:30 PM   #17727

Quote:
House is better than great, list of moving in tasks is exhausting and overwhelming, head is fine but hurts (as does everything else by now). So, I am trying not to push myself so hard. We'll see how that works out.
It's good to hear the new home is working out. It is so easy to overdo it, make sure to pace yourself. You have plenty of time to make things right - in fact, you have the rest of your life.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:50 PM   #17728
Full time employment: Posting here.

My usual quiet morning interlude with some coffee and English muffin before doing some bill paying and tidying up the kitchen.

Then a 5 mile-ish hike around Torrey Pines to get out of the house and get in some cardio workout (trying to lower my blood pressure).

Back home I supervised oldest DS with some landscaping work I need done..ahhh youth!

I did make us a nice lunch of left over steak sandwich meat, but finely diced to put into a quesadilla oozing with sharp cheddar cheese. Made up a bowl of fresh guacamole and added in a single small orange Thai chile pepper from the plant on the back patio....whew...deliciously balanced with some cheek warming goodness. Dang those quesadillas were yummy!

I tackled the downstairs shower - the plastic water guard on the glass door was icky with mineral deposits. Took that off and CLR'd it to a nice new look along with the glass door. Since I was in the mood, did a top down cleaning as well.

Will be starting dinner soon....
Old 07-06-2015, 10:09 PM   #17729

Two new experiences for me today. First I went kayaking with a group of ladies at the lake house. The kayaking is part of my routine, going out with a group was new. The group went at a *very* leisurely pace so I didn't get quite the workout I wanted, but I met some new people.

Later in the day, I found my first geocache. I went looking for two others but couldn't find them. Tonight I figured out how to find some hints online, so I will try again tomorrow if it isn't raining. Both sites are within a mile of my house -- just a nice little bike ride to start the morning. According to the map there are quite a few geocaches nearby. This may turn into a fun little hobby.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:22 AM   #17730

I decided to start working on a body off restoration that I've put off for some time as I just wasn't into the remaining 300 hours left to get it back on the road.

Just a bit of history, I purchased the car new back in 1975 and it's been sitting in my garage for the past 26 years up on jack stands. The only reason I still have the car is due to it's history and the fact my father came with me to the dealership to purchase it. He's been asking me for the last couple years if I still have the car and "My Dream" is to take him for a ride while he's still with us (age 85) as I know it will put a smile on his face.

For the car fanatics I'll let you guess what car it is.

[/QUOTE]
Old 07-07-2015, 07:10 AM   #17731

I'll take a guess that it's a corvette
Old 07-07-2015, 09:50 AM   #17732
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

+1 for corvette. low floor, diff higher then floor frame. + the Photobucket description is a dead giveaway.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:04 AM   #17733
Moderator Emeritus

Corvette. What happened to the original valve covers?
Old 07-07-2015, 10:41 AM   #17734

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
+1 for corvette. low floor, diff higher then floor frame. + the Photobucket description is a dead giveaway.
Wasn't aware of the photobucket description, thanks for letting me know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Corvette. What happened to the original valve covers?
They rusted out about 30 years ago and have been replaced twice.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:48 AM   #17735
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
The V-8 was what led me to think 'Corvette'. Not many other cars of that shape with V8's is there? Plus independent rear suspension.

-ERD50
Old 07-07-2015, 11:05 AM   #17736

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
The V-8 was what led me to think 'Corvette'. Not many other cars of that shape with V8's is there? Plus independent rear suspension.

-ERD50
The body shape under the tarp gave it away for me.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #17737

Went out to find the two elusive geocaches. Found one but still cannot find the other. I saw this guy while riding between locations. ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1436286444.704973.jpg
Old 07-07-2015, 02:43 PM   #17738

Wow, Philliefan - that's a big buck!

Baked cookies this morning for a Kairos prison ministry weekend (KPMI Foundation | Changing Hearts, Transforming Lives, Impacting the World). It's amazing that 36,000 homemade cookies go to this particular prison each time there is a Kairos weekend - every single inmate and correctional officer gets a bag of a dozen cookies.

Went to the grocery store, had a quick lunch and now catching up with things while DH exercises at the adaptive gym downtown. Didn't get much of anything done yesterday after DSIL and her family left at 0400 and I had trouble getting back to sleep!

Taking dinner tonight to a friend going through chemo/radiation. I never realized how hard it is to find a recipe for shrimp (her favorite) without garlic, onion, tomatoes, or spices (which aren't agreeing with her now). Finally found one with a lemon basil sauce that sounds pretty good.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:08 PM   #17739
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
Two new experiences for me today. First I went kayaking with a group of ladies at the lake house. The kayaking is part of my routine, going out with a group was new. The group went at a *very* leisurely pace so I didn't get quite the workout I wanted, but I met some new people.

Later in the day, I found my first geocache. I went looking for two others but couldn't find them. Tonight I figured out how to find some hints online, so I will try again tomorrow if it isn't raining. Both sites are within a mile of my house -- just a nice little bike ride to start the morning. According to the map there are quite a few geocaches nearby. This may turn into a fun little hobby.
I love Geocaching! Planning a road trip that will include stops to find some.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:10 PM   #17740
Recycles dryer sheets

Got up early for an ice hockey scrimmage, went home and ran with the dogs for about one hour. We "hunt" which means chase squirrels, etc. Its a pretty good workout!
Did errands, tossed in some things into the slow cooker.