Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 04:35 PM   #17741
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poking around Vancouver, WA this week in anticipation of moving here next year. Took a hike at the Ridgefield wildlife refuge as part of the tour. So far, I like what I see.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2015, 07:14 PM   #17742
Give me a forum ...

Today was my Tuesday golf group. I had my best score ever at my home course. I wasn't really paying attention to the score but I knew I was having a good day and I was better than average at the turn despite the heat and humidity. Usually the back nine eats me up and spits me out, but I ended up scoring the same as the front.

Lunch with some golf friends at the club. Looked at some new vehicles on the way home.

Had Mom over for dinner tonight. Good day of retirement.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:18 PM   #17743
Give me a forum ...

Drove 695 miles from KC area to Estes Park. Not too bad of drive, the two dogs traveled very well. They were not planned to go on the trip, the gal at the groomers was a no show when I went to drop them off last night. She called today to apologize, she was afraid of a tornado warning and didn't have our number with her to call. Didn't have the heart to tell her that warning was for a different area, oh well the dogs are having a blast.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:07 PM   #17744
Recycles dryer sheets

Grilled up a 18 ears of sweet corn... mmmmm! Ate a few (too many), tasted delicious. Tomorrow we will clean the rest of the corn off the cobs and put some in the freezer to use with some wintertime meals.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:47 AM   #17745
Give me a forum ...

I spent yesterday entirely indoors except for a few short ventures outside into 91F temp and very high humidity. I overheated very quickly.
My gardening buddy showed up to pick up some Biera Tronchuda kale seedlings I grew for him to plant in his ground garden. He helped himself to some compost tea from my compost tumbler and bat guano from underneath my bat houses.
We ate monster salads using leaf lettuce I grew. He tried to go out to my ground garden to beat down some weeds with a double edged weed cutter, but quickly gave it up due to the heat. I cranked up the AC in the living room and we sat in a nice cool room drinking Sangria on ice with fresh squeezed juice/pulp from oranges added to it.
I reseeded 3 lettuce window boxes over the kitchen sink. Too hot to be out in the enclosed porch where I normally do my plant play.

Mr B took his first test for the IRS certified representative - he passed. He has been in "finals week mode" for the past month or so, taking every practice test available online. He is now planning on taking 4 days off and getting back into it for test number 2.

Today has a forecast for rain. Gee what a surprise. The lawn mowing will have to wait.

A friend gave me a non-working Kundo carriage style anniversary clock that belonged to her late brother. I cleaned the corrosion off the C battery contacts and got the 4 ball circular pendulum swinging, but the clock face hands won't budge. Lots of articles online about these types of clocks and how to start/fix them. I have taken this on as a challenge to figure out how to get it going again.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:49 AM   #17746
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Drove 695 miles from KC area to Estes Park. Not too bad of drive, the two dogs traveled very well. They were not planned to go on the trip, the gal at the groomers was a no show when I went to drop them off last night. She called today to apologize, she was afraid of a tornado warning and didn't have our number with her to call. Didn't have the heart to tell her that warning was for a different area, oh well the dogs are having a blast.
Rocky Mountain National Park is a wonderful place. The dogs should love it. We rented a large cabin with friends at the YMCA of the Rockies several times while the kids were growing up. Always had a great time.

One of the first dates with the future Mrs. Hermit was a hike to Mirror Lake. It is a wonderful hike. She was surprised when I had packed a bottle of wine and two wine glasses along with lunch. Obviously must have impressed her.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:57 AM   #17747
Give me a forum ...

Woke up early today...6:30 AM and actually got up instead of being a bed slug. It's only 65F with low humidity, so I'm going to get some outside stuff done before it heats up.

I have a few pepper plants to transplant to 1 gallon containers, so that's up first. I need to reseed peas for the second crop. Then I might re-organize the enclosed porch, which is full of plant playing stuff.

Mr B is in full vacation from study mode. He got a bit burnt out from prepping for that test Tuesday. Study for the next test resumes Saturday. His goal is to have all tests done by end of August. It's doable.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday are forecast for good sunny weather in the low 80s. Even though my boat won't start, I can still enjoy it at the dock. My engine repair manual arrived. I took a quick look at the remote control chapter and realized I am way out of my league if it is something more than a blown fuse, corroded or loose connector, or main breaker issue. Once I do the basic troubleshooting, it will be time to call in the experts. With luck, they can diagnose it right at the dock (located 2/10 mile from the shop) and get me back up and running again. No need to tow it off the lake unless it is a major repair, in which case I will leave it right where it is until the parts come in. I might be able to convince the guys to fix it right at the dock. Less time involved all around because they are my towing source, i.e. their truck pulls my boat trailer.

This is my little boat club. Nothing fancy, no dress code, all beautiful. The foothills of the Adirondack Mountains are the distant horizon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8-2-08 Clam Bake 023.jpg (41.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 07-09-2015, 09:18 AM   #17748

Off w@rk today for knee surgery. It should be pretty straightforward since it's arthroscopic to repair a torn meniscus and do some ligament stitching to keep my knee cap from popping out of place. Will be off the pickleball courts for 3 months but this knee has been giving me trouble for >20 years so fixing it before I retire is the right way to go.

Doc gave me a note that says I can be off work for up to 4 weeks. When I asked him why he said it was for people that work on their feet all day; thankfully I don't qualify so I expect to be back at the desk on Monday.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:31 AM   #17749
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Off w@rk today for knee surgery. It should be pretty straightforward since it's arthroscopic to repair a torn meniscus and do some ligament stitching to keep my knee cap from popping out of place. Will be off the pickleball courts for 3 months but this knee has been giving me trouble for >20 years so fixing it before I retire is the right way to go.

Doc gave me a note that says I can be off work for up to 4 weeks. When I asked him why he said it was for people that work on their feet all day; thankfully I don't qualify so I expect to be back at the desk on Monday.
Sorry you need to have surgery Lisa.. My DH will be going thru something similar later this year. I guess we need to check out crutches and CTUs.

Hope you heal quickly.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:46 PM   #17750

Thanks Bam. I'm already out of surgery and don't have crutches. Do have a huge brace but doc wants me walking on it as much as I can tolerate to get the blood flowing to my knee.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:45 PM   #17751

Glad to hear your surgery went smoothly, Lisa.

Went to prayer shawl knitting group this morning, then got my hair cut. Headed up to the water garden shop to get supplies for the pond and sprung for a night-blooming lily. It's supposed to bloom from sunset to around 9am or longer on a cloudy day, which is nice because the regular lilies close up around 5pm and open late morning, or not at all on cloudy days.

After lunch (leftovers) I cleaned the pond, fertilized the lilies, and rearranged things to make room for the new one. Looks much better! Also transplanted a couple of the basil plants out of the giant pot I got at Trader Joe's for $2.99 - have already used it in several dishes and since it's going strong, thought I'd put a few of the plants into the ground and see if they'll grow. Nothing to lose!
Old 07-09-2015, 04:03 PM   #17752
Recycles dryer sheets

Changed the oil, rotated the tires and reset the (electronic) service reminders on both cars today. Now good for another 6-10 months on one (our travel) car, and 1-2 years on the other (wife's DD).
Old 07-09-2015, 04:21 PM   #17753
Moderator Emeritus

Good luck, Lisa and hope the repair heals up soon!

My DW is appears to be in denial with her aching knee. She has had several injections and was told by Doc No. 1 it's time for a NEW KNEE!

Now she is on Doc No. 2 and he just ordered an MRI earlier this week to look at soft tissue issues. Guess he is in her camp (maybe you really don't need a NEW KNEE). She is hobbling everywhere we go.

I don't think she realizes that while we are in good shape at our ages (late 60's), joints just wear out!
Old 07-09-2015, 08:07 PM   #17754

Lisa, My younger sister just had this surgery on Monday. She had 3 incisions for 4 tears. On crutches from the hospital. Has to sleep downstairs cause steps are too painful. Suppose to walk but not too much. Stopped taking the Vicodin on Tuesday because of the side effects. Knee is swollen off and on. She's taking aspirin and icing the knee. Doesn't see the surgeon for 2 weeks. Driving her crazy being cooped up in the house all week. Hoping yours is speedy recovery.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:48 PM   #17755
Give me a forum ...

I had to do an update...I went to my boat slip armed with my multimeter and the MerCruiser engine repair manual, along with my gardening buddy as safety check pointer and meter monitor.
I tested the ignition circuit in-line fuse under the dash - good continuity.
I tested the ignition hot lead with key on - 12 V - good.
I traced the ignition circuit wires to every connector I could find (key off of course ) to make sure they were properly seated and not corroded - all good.

Hmmm...

Next I tried to press in the master circuit breaker red button on top of the engine. My hands tend to be weak, so I had my gardening buddy do that. I could not see how far in he was able to press it, so I leaned down and peered through the engine components to see. I noticed two right angled miniature wires with caps (like you see on a lawnmower spark plug but much smaller) that led to something cylindrical right next to the circuit breaker. One wire cap was sitting just slightly higher than the other. Odd....

So I pressed down on it and heard the distinctive click of it locking securely onto the post.
Eureka...it must have vibrated off just enough to lose contact.

Back to the blower ON, wait, turn ignition key ON sequence.

VROOM VROOM....

I called my boat repair guy to tell him what I had found, and no need for his guy to come to the dock Friday to see what the problem is (was).

I'm so damn proud of myself it's disgusting.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:29 PM   #17756

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I had to do an update...I went to my boat slip armed with my multimeter and the MerCruiser engine repair manual, along with my gardening buddy as safety check pointer and meter monitor.
I tested the ignition circuit in-line fuse under the dash - good continuity.
I tested the ignition hot lead with key on - 12 V - good.
I traced the ignition circuit wires to every connector I could find (key off of course ) to make sure they were properly seated and not corroded - all good.

Hmmm...

Next I tried to press in the master circuit breaker red button on top of the engine. My hands tend to be weak, so I had my gardening buddy do that. I could not see how far in he was able to press it, so I leaned down and peered through the engine components to see. I noticed two right angled miniature wires with caps (like you see on a lawnmower spark plug but much smaller) that led to something cylindrical right next to the circuit breaker. One wire cap was sitting just slightly higher than the other. Odd....

So I pressed down on it and heard the distinctive click of it locking securely onto the post.

VROOM VROOM....

I called my boat repair guy to tell him what I had found, and no need for his guy to come to the dock Friday to see what the problem is (was).

Congratulations! Have fun boating!
Old 07-09-2015, 10:19 PM   #17757
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post

VROOM VROOM....

Dontcha love it when that happens?
Old 07-10-2015, 06:32 AM   #17758
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Congratulations! Have fun boating!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Dontcha love it when that happens?
I don't know which feeling I enjoy better...the triumph of "I figured it out" OR the fact that I didn't have to pay someone else to figure it out .

Credit also goes to my gardening buddy for causing me to look that closely at where he was pressing the circuit breaker. Saved me a lot of time by finding it right away. He is very mechanically inclined (got my chainsaw tension bar problem fixed) but not so good with DC circuit troubleshooting. I gave him a quick lesson in DC circuit analysis and multimeter operation. I'll follow up if he wants to learn more.

Today has a much better weather forecast, so we are going for a spin later. I need to sew on some more Velcro to hold the bow cover to the main cover and clean/wax the interior fiberglas surfaces. He earns his rides by helping me with whatever I need to do and bringing yummy healthy stuff to eat. WIN WIN.

Mr B is not into boating at all but doesn't mind when I disappear all day to be a boat bum. He really likes the idea that I am not out there alone, just in case. Even the most experienced boaters can get into trouble by themselves. Safety FIRST !!!
Old 07-10-2015, 11:09 AM   #17759

Very impressive, freebird! Enjoy your day on the water!
Old 07-10-2015, 01:22 PM   #17760
Full time employment: Posting here.

The weather is gorgeous here today, so I went for a bike ride along a nearby rail-to-trail. At one point I dropped the bike to explore a hidden walking trail, and was rewarded with finding this beautiful spot to eat my lunch. ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1436552494.229991.jpg