Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 02:24 PM   #17761
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Went through some of Rocky Mountain National Park. For some reason my fingers hurt now! I'm not a photo person but here's some of the view from the upper parts of Trail Ridge Rd. Pretty cool up there today, temperature was 49F and the wind was probably about 49 also. When we came down to Estes Park the truck said it was 90F with a light wind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1436559776302.jpg (90.9 KB, 33 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2015, 06:57 PM   #17762

DW got her new couch delivered today, she'd been moving furniture around downstairs most of the day. She has to move stuff, look at it, move stuff... that can and does take all day. On request the delivery guys took the old couch and a love seat out to the curb for pickup and I gave them each a $20 bill for the extra effort. It took them an extra ten minutes if that. Our heavy furniture moving days are over.

Oh, and mowed the strip on the hill out back that has to be done with the 21" walk-behind and not the 33" walk-behind.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:35 AM   #17763
Recycles dryer sheets

Went on a 1-day river rafting trip down the middle fork of the American River with my teenaged daughter. We had a great time. We went a few years ago and I fell out of the boat twice in the rapids. This time I stayed onboard the whole time but another guy in the boat was not as lucky. He went overboard in one of the rapids but we were able to yank him back into the boat before the next set of rapids. Good times!
Old 07-11-2015, 09:43 AM   #17764
Give me a forum ...

Today is sewing day...I need to stitch 3 strips of Velcro hooks to the bow cover, which match up to the loops on the main boat cover. The elements completely destroyed the hooks strip I installed last year. I haven't fired up my sewing machine in ages, so I have the manual open to wind the bobbin and thread the machine with heavy duty thread. I even remembered the change the needle for the heavier thread.

I found out, through the boat club grapevine, that a former co-w*rker has decided to do canvas w*rk for boats as a part time venture in retirement. He is an engineer, so I know he does good w*rk by default. He was really good friends with my late husband growing up, so I am comfy knowing I will not ripped off by a stranger. I have the fabric, I know what I want done, and as long as he has an industrial sewing machine and the space to spread out the 14 foot cover...one less thing for me to mess with.

Things are going smoothly for once.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:59 PM   #17765
Recycles dryer sheets

Spent today finishing our guest room conversion to my new home office. Took delivery of a sleeper sofa, a new standup desk and ergo chair. Lots of lifting and assembly - except we let the furniture store guys haul the couch up the 2 flights 😉

Heading to Dodger game tonight with DS and DD -- DW is out of town and hates baseball, so it's our 1-2x year pilgrimage and overspend at the stadium. 2 teens plus one friend each can eat a lot!!

Got my final $$ bonus distribution and accrued PTO/sick checks yesterday so feeling pretty good

One week into RE and really enjoying it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-11-2015, 05:19 PM   #17766
Full time employment: Posting here.

Got up 'early' to have a quick breakfast, then oldest DS and I went to a free tracking class at the Los Penasquitos Ranch House sponsored by the SD Tracking group.

We learned the differences in tracks, scat and browse signs for different 'critters' in the PQ canyon. Very interesting - and did I mention free?

Back home for some chores, cleanup, and gardening. Then relaxing on the back patio - gorgeous weather about now, something cold to drink and good music playing before dinner.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:25 PM   #17767

Finished moving the last few items from the old house to the new condo.
This will be our last home ever, except for the eventual CCRC move when we get to that point, so we're pretty pleased with ourselves for finding a good one.

There are only 17 homes in the community, and everyone we've met so far has been very friendly. My next door neighbor is moderately famous, but I'll protect his privacy by not mentioning his field. I think it's pretty cool that someone with a huge income would live in a relatively modest place like this. He'd probably fit in nicely in this forum!
Old 07-11-2015, 09:50 PM   #17768
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just got back from seeing The Cleveland Orchestra perform Beethoven's Ninth at their summer outdoor concert venue. It was spectacular!

I have mentioned before that I'm an usher at this venue, Blossom Music Center, in Cuyahoga Falls, OH. When we aren't working a concert we can use our employee pass to get in for free and sit on the lawn. I rented a chair for $5 and found myself a great spot and had a wonderful time.

This year Blossom Music Center is extra special for me. My 28 year old son is a freelance audio engineer and this summer he is working for the Cleveland Orchestra. His job is to mix the audio for the lawn. The audio in the pavilion is not usually amplified but the sound for the lawn is. He sets up a wireless router from the sound board and uses his iPad and mixing software to adjust the mix while he is out on the lawn. He can move to different locations and make adjustments. He also set up the mics on the stage for the chorus.

This was an excellent concert and a very proud Mom moment.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:15 AM   #17769

Sue: I grew up in Cleveland and loved going to Blossom for the orchestra and other concerts. I saw James Taylor there in the 70's before I went to college and the start of my career, and I will see him again in NC at the end of my first month of RE! A fitting set of bookends!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-12-2015, 06:34 AM   #17770
Give me a forum ...

I am going to the foothills of the Adirondacks for a few days. Nothing fancy, just visiting a lady veteran friend who lives alone. Her brother passed in early June and it's been a bit rough for her. We will shoot the breeze, watch movies, and eat lots of ice cream.
I am slowly converting her into becoming a container gardener. I had some extra plants and she had some empty buckets. I'll start her off with cucumbers, pole beans, and a single tomato.
I gave her my Brinkman bullet smoker because I rarely use it. She loves to do smoked beef jerky, learned from her days of living in Idaho. Last time I was up there she made this unbelievably delicious bourbon/brown sugar jerky.
I love taking little mini-vacations like this. No planes, no trains, only my automobile and my own time schedule.
Maybe we'll go up to one of the Adirondack lakes on a day trip - perhaps Otter Lake or the Fulton Chain of Lakes in Old Forge.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:50 AM   #17771
Give me a forum ...

Walked out the front door yesterday to see this Elk walking by. I'm more concerned than he is. He's a regular, getting a snack of bird food. His shoulders are about 5' tall, antlers still in velvet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1436708847925.jpg (110.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 1436708872902.jpg (86.6 KB, 29 views)
Old 07-12-2015, 10:12 AM   #17772
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Poking around Vancouver, WA this week in anticipation of moving here next year. Took a hike at the Ridgefield wildlife refuge as part of the tour. So far, I like what I see.

Travelover,

Vancouver, WA is on my short list as a base. I would love to hear how you decided on the town, and what your experiences are as you transition.

Lagniappe
Old 07-12-2015, 10:40 AM   #17773
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
For magnesium, around 300-400 mg per day is a good amount. You want the chelated form, so look for magnesium citrate or magnesium aspartate, or magnesium citrimate.
Mg is the one supplement I can be sure makes a difference. I would get heart palpitations almost every day. I started Mg. After one day, they were less. After four days they were gone.

I started and stopped the Mg a few times to test, and confirmed that it wiped out the palps.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:29 PM   #17774
Give me a forum ...

Al, will you share what brand and what kind of Mg and how much you take?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-12-2015, 05:21 PM   #17775

Had the house to myself as DW took both DS's to visit the grandparents.

Quiet breakfast while watching the bird show feeding menagerie and sipping coffee.

Then off to the market for the Sunday shopping.

A nice hike in the open space preserve - I stopped at a vista of meadows with no sounds at all except the wind, the grasses, and some birds....centering feeling.

Then back home for some gardening, watering, weeding, and prepping for dinner.

The pork loin is smoking now, the twice baked potatoes are cooling, the grilled corn ready to go and a nice cabernet is breathing for later, and the music is playing now out the back patio door.

It's a good Sunday.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:48 PM   #17776

We unexpectedly had DS as a house guest last night - had an enjoyable evening playing 3-handed cribbage (he's usually out with his friends if he's here for the weekend). Fixed blueberry waffles for breakfast - it's been years since I've done that, and the first batch out of the waffle iron was evidence . Fortunately the rest turned out fine. He is taking a week's vacation from his engineering job to volunteer at a summer camp where he was a counselor for several years and headed out soon after breakfast.

Sang in an ensemble in church this morning, then headed to Petco for a rescue meet-and-greet - we are looking for a dog after having had a sweet poodle as a two-week house guest recently while her people were away. No candidates but met nice people and really like this rescue organization.

Afternoon nap, then cooked softshell crabs that I picked up at the farmers market yesterday (one guy brings gulf seafood in each weekend). Yum!
Old 07-12-2015, 11:19 PM   #17777

Long day. It was a warm, humid and sunny day in PA. I spent the morning putting together our programs for our concert this evening. Did a car juggling act. DH needed the van this morning to haul his keyboard equipment to the theater for the next musical he's doing which opens this upcoming weekend. DS and I needed the same van to pick up our band's timpani for a concert tonight. Drove out to son's work, then to the theater, switched my car for the now empty van. Drove van to the church where we practice and loaded it up (hauling timpani upstairs is not for the faint of heart!). Came home, showered, finished compiling our concert programs. Then drove to the concert in the park, unloaded the timpani and set myself up and warmed up (DS is the drummer, I play flute.) Weplayed from 7 to 8:30. Drove back to the church and unloaded the timpani (this time we had help). Stopped for fast food, which we rarely do. Came home and was thinking about going to bed at 10:30 when DH called. A mile from our house on the dark freeway offramp he struck a large piece of truck tire tread which damaged the bottom and made it undrivable. I drove my son's care out to get him and we arranged a tow truck. The tow truck arrives at 11:30 and I discovered I can't find my car keys. We look both cars, on the road and in the tall grass beside the road. So I call DS and ask him to start walking out to where we are with his set of keys. I walk toward him at the same time. DH makes arrangements with the tow truck driver in the meantime. DS and I meet in the middle and walk back to the car together. It's a dark road for the most part, with a cornfield on one side and farm house and large lawn on the other. A gorgeous night, no traffic or worries for a walk. So we get back home and figure out how to handle the car situation tomorrow morning.

The damage isn't too bad but we all need cars in separate places at the end of the week, so I'll probably need a rental.

What a day! Tomorrow morning I'll walk back to look for my keys in daylight. Then I'll walk back home--right past the open farmer's market, so I'll stop for some veggies. I'll make lemonade out of this yet!
Old 07-13-2015, 07:20 AM   #17778

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Long day. It was a warm, humid and sunny day in PA. I spent the morning putting together our programs for our concert this evening. Did a car juggling act. DH needed the van this morning to haul his keyboard equipment to the theater for the next musical he's doing which opens this upcoming weekend. DS and I needed the same van to pick up our band's timpani for a concert tonight. Drove out to son's work, then to the theater, switched my car for the now empty van. Drove van to the church where we practice and loaded it up (hauling timpani upstairs is not for the faint of heart!). Came home, showered, finished compiling our concert programs. Then drove to the concert in the park, unloaded the timpani and set myself up and warmed up (DS is the drummer, I play flute.) Weplayed from 7 to 8:30. Drove back to the church and unloaded the timpani (this time we had help). Stopped for fast food, which we rarely do. Came home and was thinking about going to bed at 10:30 when DH called. A mile from our house on the dark freeway offramp he struck a large piece of truck tire tread which damaged the bottom and made it undrivable. I drove my son's care out to get him and we arranged a tow truck. The tow truck arrives at 11:30 and I discovered I can't find my car keys. We look both cars, on the road and in the tall grass beside the road. So I call DS and ask him to start walking out to where we are with his set of keys. I walk toward him at the same time. DH makes arrangements with the tow truck driver in the meantime. DS and I meet in the middle and walk back to the car together. It's a dark road for the most part, with a cornfield on one side and farm house and large lawn on the other. A gorgeous night, no traffic or worries for a walk. So we get back home and figure out how to handle the car situation tomorrow morning.

The damage isn't too bad but we all need cars in separate places at the end of the week, so I'll probably need a rental.

What a day! Tomorrow morning I'll walk back to look for my keys in daylight. Then I'll walk back home--right past the open farmer's market, so I'll stop for some veggies. I'll make lemonade out of this yet!

I woke up this morning and walked to the accident site to look for my keys--no keys. Walked back, started cleaning out DS's car to search for the keys and found a flat tire.

So today-change tire and get tire fixed or replaced, arrange for body work on the other car.

I'm too busy to w**k!

Old 07-13-2015, 08:35 AM   #17779

Last, the same guy through AAA who towed the car at midnight showed up today to deal with the tire. He stared at us and we said: yep! It's us again.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:28 AM   #17780
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagniappe View Post
Travelover,

Vancouver, WA is on my short list as a base. I would love to hear how you decided on the town, and what your experiences are as you transition.

Lagniappe
PM sent
Closed Thread