Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

what did you do today?
Old 07-19-2015, 12:22 PM   #17821
Full time employment: Posting here.

what did you do today?

I finally purchased my tickets for 2 weeks in Scotland.

I haven't flown there since 1997. The days of $350 R/T are long gone,aren't they? From the West Coast of the US, anyway.

Oh, well, in for a penny, in for a few more pounds: I splurged on a seat upgrade over and back. :-)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2015, 12:45 PM   #17822

We went to an outdoor concert yesterday. It was sold out so SiL and I went ahead hours early to get a decent spot and set up. The first two times it rained we managed to stay dry ourselves and keep all the things dry as well (chairs, table, food). The third time it stormed and it was just too much, everything was drenched except the food - especially us. Then the sun came out to warm us up and help dry us out, the rest of the family drove over and we had a mostly enjoyable but somewhat damp evening.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:10 PM   #17823
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I met the canvas guy to go over exactly what I wanted for a new main cover for my boat. I've known him for decades. What a relief to have a known person doing this j*b versus getting ripped off by a stranger. Plus...he is also a retired engineer so the w*rk will be done meticulously. Anything custom or boat related is triple the price. I already have the fabric and thread, he will order the rest of the stuff and start the j*b once it arrives next week. From there it will be straight labor hours, and a cash discount deal.

Once again it is too damn hot out for me. My hot flashes are cramping my outdoor in summer style. So....I am heading to the foothills of the Adirondacks tomorrow for some relief from the heat. My friend and I compared temperatures today. Her place is always 5 degrees cooler than down here. Amazing what a little elevation change can do.

Fried ham steak and pineapple, and fresh homegrown bush beans sauteed in olive oil is planned for dinner. Yummy !
Old 07-20-2015, 03:22 PM   #17824
Give me a forum ...

Framed the ramp to attach to the stairs at my Mom's down the road this morning. made myself a lunch and watched the end of the British Open. While I was hoping for Jordan Speith to win once he was out of the running i was glad to see Zach Johnson take the Championship. Took a jet ski ride around the pond with some friends and am relaxing a bit before a late afternoon cocktail pontoon cruise with a friend who returns to Hawaii later this week.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:41 PM   #17825
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Finally located all 12 devices that make up my stereo system and all the associated cables and got everything hooked up and working. The only unpacking left to do is books and that may wait until the snow flies.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:37 PM   #17826
Administrator

Like Nodak, I just moved. It's a lot of work.

Today I unpacked nine boxes, up to and including the very last box used for the move into my dream house. So, no more unpacking! That doesn't mean that I am done moving in, though. I still need to hang pictures/paintings, put down some area rugs and mats under my home gym equipment, hook up my electronics and video game equipment, and complete various other smaller chores. Tomorrow I will take every last one of those boxes to recycling, and I am happy about that.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-20-2015, 05:49 PM   #17827
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I received the wonderful news that we have been waiting for. Grandchild #1 is on the way, should be here in late Feb.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:00 PM   #17828

Can't compete with a grandchild on the way! Congrats....

My paltry happenings for the day -my much beloved quiet morning in the kitchen with the backyard view while nibbling on some fruit and E. muffin.

Then some morning chores and email (blech - I dislike email even in FIRE).

Off to Lake Miramar to hike the paved road in a 5 mile loop....whew - it feels like southern Maryland where I used to live - was totally soaked when I got back to my truck.

Back home I fixed a fresh garden salad from my garden and left over potato salad from dinner.

Cleaned off the patio table and deck after the weekend storm and all the debris and dirt splattered all over everything.

Still feeling drippy/damp from the humidity...going to cool off before starting dinner.

I may just indulge today and open a chilled wine to enjoy w/ dinner and sip the rest on the back patio after it cools down a bit.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:20 PM   #17829

Today I am writing about what I did yesterday. I had a busy day as I went to Staples to return three empty ink cartridges, to Home Depot to buy a filter for the HVAC and to Barnes and Noble to buy a calendar. Nothing out of the ordinary at Staples and Home Depot. However, in front of the Barnes and Noble there were about 15-20 really scruffy guys just milling around. All of them had cameras. Anyhow, I get through the blockade, go into the store, walk around and see a very attractive woman in a black suit. I kind of look at her for a while, wondering if I know who she is. She takes off her sunglasses so I can see her face--it's Angelina Jolie. She smiles. I figure she is mistaking me for the late James Garner. Anyhow, I smile, she puts her glasses back on. I sort of wave good-bye. She sort of waves good-bye. I leave the store, forgetting to look for a calendar. The paparazzi are still in front of the store milling around. They don't give me a second thought. I guess they never heard of the late James Garner.
Prepping for Garage Sale #3
Old 07-20-2015, 10:44 PM   #17830

Prepping for Garage Sale #3

The three-year purge continues, so I'm hoping this is the last garage sale before putting the house on the market and DOWNSIZING. I thought last year's would be the final one; but, with the passing of DH, there is all of his good stuff that has real value. So it would be nice to make some cash on it before shipping the rest off to Salvation Army.

He would want me to do this.......so I am. He probably knows the cash will go with me on my next trip (3 weeks in the British Isles, come August). He would laugh to think that his old golf clubs will help to pay for hikes in the moors or evenings in the pubs with my girlfriends. Or that some of his old tools will help to pay for my cream teas in Bath.

He loved to laugh. And the ironies of the future keep me smiling too. His life seems to have permanently innoculated me with humor.

He was such a "hoot." And helped to make my life one as well!
Old 07-21-2015, 12:02 AM   #17831
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGal View Post
He was such a "hoot." And helped to make my life one as well!
I'm glad you have such good memories! The best way to honor such a good humoured person is to enjoy life's experiences and toast him with good friends once in a while.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:59 AM   #17832

Sorry for your loss, LitGal, but pleased you had time with someone who could make such a profound and positive impact on your life.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-21-2015, 06:07 AM   #17833

Haven't been on the forum for a bit; life has been rather full. Spending a lot of time getting ready for a trip out West next week; going to meander around Glacier National Park, Gran Tetons, Yellowstone - a bit more touristy than we normally get, but we'll be traveling with family who don't do the boondocking as do we. Their Class A can't get to some of the spots our truck camper can.

Picked up a new sidearm yesterday that will be making the trek with us, so today will be spent at the range drilling in procedures, making sure the firearm functions well, and just having fun in general. Haven't carried a 1911 style firearm since the Marine Corps, but old habits should be quickly retrieved.

A teaser for the gun nuts out there:

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1437476840.236487.jpg

Old 07-21-2015, 12:45 PM   #17834

what did you do today?

We're out in our RV for a few days at a very nice state park. Only a handful of folks here so very quiet as well. We discovered a nice new morning routine for these stinkin' hot Texas summer days. Get up early and head out for a walk, then have breakfast outside and play cards until it gets too hot. Very nice, even though DH beat me every game.

I went back out (with an icy water bottle) and hiked a couple more trails that weren't suited for DHs wheelchair. Think I'll stay in the AC until it's time to cook dinner - I'm grilling chicken and veggie kebabs. Yum.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-21-2015, 12:56 PM   #17835
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
We're out in our RV for a few days at a very nice state park. Only a handful of folks here so very quiet as well. We discovered a nice new morning routine for these stinkin' hot Texas summer days.
You have to be descended from some sturdy stock to RV in Texas in the summertime.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 07-21-2015, 01:18 PM   #17836
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You have to be descended from some sturdy stock to RV go outdoors in Texas in the summertime.
FIFY

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 07-21-2015, 06:54 PM   #17837

Cooked dinner from my garden. At 4PM I pulled an onion, picked a bell pepper, a jalapeņo, parsley and basil. Used two of my garlic cloves that I harvested 2 weeks ago. Stir- fried with shrimp, salt, crushed red pepper, lime juice, a splash of tequila, and added Sobe noodles at the end. A side of salad with my garden lettuce, basil and parsley.

Went swimming this afternoon too.

I could never do this if I had stayed in my condo in Silicon Valley. Well--maybe the swimming part.

I also picked about 10 Roma tomatoes. Will let them ripen a bit more away from the critters-bugs, birds and rodents, then it's salsa time! My little fence around the raised bed is working. We have many bunnies.ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1437522881.614616.jpg

Old 07-21-2015, 07:42 PM   #17838
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
... We have many bunnies.
Lapin au vin?
Old 07-21-2015, 08:20 PM   #17839

Typical day - mess around online, water the flowers, 14 mile bike ride, Subway for lunch, cut the grass, boat ride, dinner, and more online while watching TV.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:11 PM   #17840
Moderator Emeritus

Worked on emptying out the living room, dining room, and kitchen in preparation for the first remodel in 28 years. Demolition starts in 7 days.

I think I'll run a Flickr album on the project.