Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 12:45 PM   #17841
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just got back from my mini-vacation up north. Tomorrow is boating day , last chance this week to get out on the lake before the crazy weekenders converge.

I'm making Chinese style spare ribs and salt potatoes for dinner.
I have fresh cucumbers and pole beans to pick as side dishes.

Watching the Yankee and Orioles game in the comfort of our living room AC.

I love nice lazy summer days like this.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2015, 01:02 PM   #17842
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just piddled about the house in the morning before meeting up with a co-w*ker who also retired to go to the Padres game at Petco.

The drive into downtown SD was easy-peasy, got parking right across the street from Petco, went in, walked around, got some lunch before the game started then watched the Padres lose big time to the Giants...bailed out at the bottom of the 8th, and went back to the car.

Getting out of downtown was easy too! Zoom, zip, out, and back home.

Daytime games are definitely cool....just wish the Padres didn't suck.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:33 PM   #17843
Moderator Emeritus

DW is coming back from two weeks in Lima, Peru Saturday after visiting temporarily (work) assigned friend's wife. I have to get this house cleaned up so I can call in our house cleaner to finish it up.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:42 PM   #17844
Administrator

Yesterday the buyers of my old house had their inspections, and I was asked to attend in order to answer any questions. It went OK, I think? I'll know more when I get the laundry list of things the buyers want fixed.

Today I awakened thinking that this would be my first day with nothing going on, since the move. But then my handyman called and said he finally could squeeze in a job I wanted him to do. I wanted him to install the keypad deadbolts and matching doorknobs that I bought for all four exterior doors here at my new-to-me house!

I'm thrilled. He did it and did a very good job of it, too. I loved having a keypad deadbolt on the side door of my old house. That was my favorite feature of that house. Now I have identical keypad deadbolts, not just on the side door, but on every door. How terrific is that? (answer: VERY terrific).

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-23-2015, 03:12 PM   #17845
Moderator Emeritus

Just walked up to the post office to send a package to DS, and over to the library to pick up a couple of audiobooks for an upcoming road trip, just under 3000 fitbit steps. Think I'll do it again a couple of times....
Old 07-23-2015, 03:56 PM   #17846

Went on a photo hike at dawn, made a simple barn wood photo frame, and used gimp to superimpose one of this morning's photos into the frame to see what it will look like when printed.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 3.51.19 PM.png (1,002.2 KB, 24 views)
Old 07-23-2015, 04:09 PM   #17847
Recycles dryer sheets

This was yesterday. A 2.5 hour paddle in occasionally challenging conditions. A canoe would have been mincemeat.

Here's one of the beaches I stopped at on the way.

A year ago my day would have looked much different.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (1,019.3 KB, 36 views)
Old 07-23-2015, 04:33 PM   #17848

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You have to be descended from some sturdy stock to RV in Texas in the summertime.
Fortunately we have good A/C. We get out in the morning, hibernate in the afternoon (usually reading, sometimes TV depending on where we are), and then go back out in the evening. We find just breaking up the home routine for a couple of days is good for us.

That said, we will not be going out again until September. We're not completely nuts.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:49 PM   #17849
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I poured a new chimney crown. yesterday I removed the old one and built a custom mold for the crown. Today I also tuck pointed the worst of the brick on the chimney.

I'm FIRED... so I'm not working
Old 07-23-2015, 05:18 PM   #17850
Recycles dryer sheets

Yesterday was a fairly big bike ride since the weather was nice and cool for it. Today I have my first and only concert of the summer to go to. Will be meeting my buddy for a beer and dinner before hand. Was supposed to go at 6 but he can't get away from w**k until 6:30

Old 07-23-2015, 05:33 PM   #17851
Give me a forum ...

We should be up in our high-country hideout where it is 76F right now. But we have a yard improvement project going on in the low-elevation home, and need to be here. Yesterday, in removing two big pine tree root balls they cut through a water line, and now my wife has to water her garden by hand.

The tree root balls are massive. One is 5 feet in diameter. These trees are 30-year-old. The guy is probably regretting bidding too low for the job. I told my wife we will give him some extra money when he finishes. It is hard to complain about the heat when you stay in the air-conditioning air and see them laboring out there in the heat, hacking and hauling away huge chunks of wood.

The trees have to be removed because their roots destroyed the front patio and the block fence. The pine needles clogged up the tile roof valley, kept rain water from draining properly and already ruined my ceiling. But now with the trees gone, my house looks naked.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:42 PM   #17852
Give me a forum ...

Grandson (14) is in town from the Wet Coast and we took him go karting. I scored a Groupon for 4 rides each for 4 people plus pizza and pop, but when the three of us showed up, they told us we had forfeited the fourth person's ride privileges. This inspired a response from my inner Mr. Grumpy and in the end the manager slipped me 4 free ride passes to shut me up promote total customer satisfaction.

It was a lot of fun.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:09 PM   #17853
Give me a forum ...

I'm doing a wonderful "down day" today. Mr B left early this morning for a visit to NH to see his Mom.
I begged off on the trip because his Mom cannot tolerate AC in the car (not much body fat at age 87) and I cannot tolerate No AC in the car (hot flashes).
The best solution was for me to skip the trip versus trying to find an optimum temp for both ladies. It's all good for him to have mother-son time.

So I have the castle all to myself.

I'm watching the Smithsonian channel and surfing.

I just heard from Mr B...it took him 6.5 hours to make what is normally a 5 hour drive. Bumper-to-bumper on several sections as he traversed from Worcester (I-90) to I-495, to Nashua (Rt 3).
Note to himself...never travel on a Friday in the summer when people are leaving early to get to Cape Cod and other coastal destinations.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:20 PM   #17854

I also have the place to myself. DW is babysitting her grandnephew and will return tonight complaining of her sore back, but she wouldn't miss it for the world. He is ~14 months, just started walking a couple of months ago, and has two speeds: full throttle and asleep.

So I just went to the gym, grocery on the way home, read part of a book, and post here.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:11 PM   #17855
Moderator Emeritus

I'm giving up "the place to myself" (and the dog) after 12 days, as DW is back from Lima, Peru tomorrow. Cleaning ladies got the place ship shine yesterday and I got the grounds taken care of.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:21 PM   #17856
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I'm giving up "the place to myself" (and the dog) after 12 days, as DW is back from Lima, Peru tomorrow. Cleaning ladies got the place ship shine yesterday and I got the grounds taken care of.
Too bad you didn't take a set of BEFORE (bachelor mode) and AFTER (back to normal) photos.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:29 PM   #17857

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Too bad you didn't take a set of BEFORE (bachelor mode) and AFTER (back to normal) photos.
From the description I think it was something like these:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg messy-room.jpg (366.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg clean_bedroom.jpg (158.6 KB, 29 views)
Old 07-24-2015, 05:34 PM   #17858
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I could agree with that.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:03 PM   #17859
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I could agree with that.
Great photos !
Old 07-24-2015, 06:10 PM   #17860
Give me a forum ...

Looking at the photos would bring tears to male posters, who wish they had stayed celibate.