Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 10:49 AM   #17941
Full time employment: Posting here.

This morning I streamed doo-wop music while I canned a batch of tomatoes from the garden. Since I was stuck in the kitchen while the tomatoes processed I baked oatmeal raisin cookies. After I clean up I'm going to work on finishing the borders of one of my quilt projects so I can send it to the long-arm quilter.

Sh*t. I think I turned into my grandmother today. I better go outside and do something bad*ss.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2015, 04:59 PM   #17942

First day ex-Megacorp. Had leisurely breakfast with wife-- I cooked.
Welded the trailer, fixed the mister over the AC unit, tiny bit of gardening.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:09 PM   #17943
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
This morning I streamed doo-wop music while I canned a batch of tomatoes from the garden. Since I was stuck in the kitchen while the tomatoes processed I baked oatmeal raisin cookies. After I clean up I'm going to work on finishing the borders of one of my quilt projects so I can send it to the long-arm quilter.

Sh*t. I think I turned into my grandmother today. I better go outside and do something bad*ss.
LOL! I'll bet grandma was bad*ss in her day!
Old 08-05-2015, 06:05 PM   #17944
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Wooooo girl ! So what did you end up doing ?
Old 08-05-2015, 07:34 PM   #17945
Give me a forum ...

I completed my 3rd pre-scheduled day in a row. Damn I'm tired.

Now it's back to the usual routine...sleep in, play with plants, goof off.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:06 PM   #17946
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sent the title to my son's car to him. Time for him to be on his own insurance.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:29 PM   #17947

A few hours of kayaking. Then went to my camp. Performed emergency repair.... on my swing by the stream. One hanger was broken. Hey, some things are important.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:23 AM   #17948

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Wooooo girl ! So what did you end up doing ?

Nothing too radical. I rode my bike to a local food larder to make a $ donation, and asked if they accept home-grown produce (they do, so when I have too many tomatoes I know where to share them). Then made another quick stop and back home for a total distance of seven miles. Cooled down with 30 minutes of yoga. Certainly more than grandma would've done at age 50 but not outrageous for me.

Today is yard work and bill paying before heading to the mountain house for a few days or more. DH just left for a week-long, out-of-town contracting gig so I'm a lone wolf, doing what I please.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:39 AM   #17949

Quote:
Nothing too radical. I rode my bike to a local food larder to make a $ donation, and asked if they accept home-grown produce (they do, so when I have too many tomatoes I know where to share them). Then made another quick stop and back home for a total distance of seven miles. Cooled down with 30 minutes of yoga. Certainly more than grandma would've done at age 50 but not outrageous for me.

Today is yard work and bill paying before heading to the mountain house for a few days or more. DH just left for a week-long, out-of-town contracting gig so I'm a lone wolf, doing what I please.
Was the foodbank part of Philabundance? I thought that was one of the best run foodbanks when I lived in metro Philadelphia. Run very lean/mean - and willing to take home grown veggies, leftover food from restaurants, etc. I wish the foodbanks here in San Diego worked as well.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:06 AM   #17950
Give me a forum ...

This is hanging out in the neighborhood recently. It drives the loons crazy and we're keeping close track of small dogs but it is still pretty cool to have it hanging around. A neighbor took the picture and I have yet to see it.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:17 AM   #17951

Nice neighbor, Pb! We had one for one day last winter. I've been trying to get closeup photos of one, but they're elusive.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-07-2015, 09:55 AM   #17952
Recycles dryer sheets

A neighbor came over at 8:30 and we spent an hour doing exercises in the pool. Then hot oatmeal for breakfast, an hour or so of work (I still do some work for my company on an hourly basis), homemade chicken rice soup for lunch, a few chores, then out to dinner for DH's birthday tomorrow.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:16 PM   #17953
Give me a forum ...

Now that I have restored the sprinkler and drip to keep my wife's beloved plants alive, we can now head up to our high-country place to escape the heat for a while. No internet up there, so will be absent for a few days. See y'all later.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:07 PM   #17954
Recycles dryer sheets

Umm, I downloaded a show off the internets where many men spoke ill of one another; I think some of them believed 'some' of what they were saying!

Oh, and I finally figured out how to preserve my 'saved' stations on my Pi MusicBox!
Old 08-07-2015, 11:14 PM   #17955
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
This is hanging out in the neighborhood recently. It drives the loons crazy and we're keeping close track of small dogs but it is still pretty cool to have it hanging around. A neighbor took the picture and I have yet to see it.
We had one too, last fall. It was on the roof of the house next door. I had to use my phone so the picture's not great. We get lots of ospreys, but only the occasional eagle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0077.JPG (320.7 KB, 24 views)
Old 08-08-2015, 07:31 AM   #17956
Give me a forum ...

We have a wall of windows that look over the lake and last fall one flew slowly right across them out over the lake about 200 feet out and 30 feet over the water so I got a real good look at it. Pretty cool.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:36 PM   #17957

Family breakfast - oldest DS made a donut run to go with bacon, hashbrowns and eggs.

Drove DW to her Zumba class, then off to do a propane tank exchange for the grill, grocery store run for the weekend 'q fest.

Got a jumbo pack of drumsticks at 99c/lb for tonight to go with homemade mac & cheese, and grilled corn.

For tomorrow, trimmed down and rubbed a big 'ol 8.5 lb pork butt for smoking - another 99c/lb deal!

Old 08-08-2015, 03:35 PM   #17958
Recycles dryer sheets

DH's birthday - made him breakfast, then baked him a cake. We went to the library, then I made a giant salad for lunch, then a swim in the pool, and now we are getting ready to go to Longhorn for dinner, where we have a coupon.
Old 08-08-2015, 04:16 PM   #17959

Went to the Chicago farmer's market this morning. DW joined us for the first time and really enjoyed it. She'll be back for sure. Then we went to Xoco for breakfast - chilaquiles and this espresso / hot dark chocolate drink, both of which are amazing.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:27 PM   #17960

Just finishing up my dishwasher install on my rental... There was no dishwasher, and a incomming tenant requested it.

Lathe and plaster walls are a real pain to work with. I am not sure how the oldtimers ever had the paitence to do it.

Replaced the counter tops, sink, faucet, added some outlets, and a light over the sink. I split the plumbing so the dishwasher had a separate shutoff. I had to build a dishwasher end panel and take out a cabinet. The new counter top is about 5" longer than the old one.

I replaced the flooring with allure from Home Depot.

I have about 16 hours into it now, probably another four more to go. The original

The start. I already tore off the back splash.

Yuck

Looking better

Ready for cabinets

Almost finished. I still need the dishwater and some trim.

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Closed Thread