Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 08:41 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I got a big hug...
BFL.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2008, 10:45 PM   #162
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Any chance you'd be willing to share Mom's secret? I sure would like the recipe.

Audrey
Sure....If I can get her to give it to me!
Old 09-02-2008, 09:08 AM   #163
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpid lizard View Post
corn meal not lead. One square of toilet paper and 1/8 teaspoon of corn meal.
I'll bet you have a hell of a polenta recipe.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:25 AM   #164
Give me a forum ...

I'll tell ya what I haven't done the last 4 days. Play golf! I actually had one of my golf buddies call and tell me the group was playing today. I quickly showered and got dressed, but decided to look at the weather channel. Tornado watch was in effect for my area. Nasty looking radar. Oh well, I didn't waste taking my shower. Drove over to the butcher and got a haircut. This one should last me a couple of months.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:33 AM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Hey Dawg...ever tried Wii Golf for those crappy weather days? My son really likes it and my avid golfer dad was also quite taken with it.

Unfortunately we dont have enough bad weather around here to push him to buy one.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:00 AM   #166
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
. Drove over to the butcher and got a haircut. This one should last me a couple of months.

Your butcher cut your hair ? Boy you really do live in a small town !
Old 09-02-2008, 01:00 PM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Hey Dawg...ever tried Wii Golf for those crappy weather days? My son really likes it and my avid golfer dad was also quite taken with it.

Unfortunately we dont have enough bad weather around here to push him to buy one.
Might look into it. Right now, time for a nap. Got a few James Patterson books to read. Wonder what I should tackle first. Cross, Lifeguard, Beach Road, or Honeymoon? My sis-in-law loaned me a few. I was saving them for winter, but might as well get started while it's crappy outside.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:29 PM   #168
Full time employment: Posting here.

Gave blood (as I always do, every 8 weeks).

I'm "required" to "take it easy" the rest of the day ....

(as I need an excuse ...)

- Ron
Old 09-02-2008, 01:54 PM   #169
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Dogs woke me up at 5 AM. Drank coffee, futzed around online, read the paper, ate breakfast then decided to do a little yard work. Doused myself liberally with Deet (damn chiggers) and grabbed my loppers to cut some brush around the large oaks near the front of my property. Made good progress for about 45 minutes and was working my way around the trunk of the third oak tree when I noticed a rattlesnake six inches from my right foot. Moved smartly out of the way. Returned to dispatch said rattlesnake. Decided to call it a day.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:04 PM   #170
Give me a forum ...

That REW sure is a one-man Chamber of Commerce for Texas, ain't he!

Old 09-02-2008, 02:20 PM   #171
Recycles dryer sheets

Blued today. For those of you who might know what I am talking about. One was an old school Springfield sporter I found in a pawn shop. It has a nice piece of wood on it that is salvageable. Two was a Mauser rebarreled to '06 with a Shilen barrel, and the third was the Siamese Mauser I mentioned earlier. It is a 25 AKI with a PacNor barrel. The two Mausers are stocked in Claro. My hobbies are almost work.

I'll be off visiting for the rest of the afternoon. If I am lucky, I might even score a free meal.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:09 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Made good progress for about 45 minutes and was working my way around the trunk of the third oak tree when I noticed a rattlesnake six inches from my right foot. Moved smartly out of the way. Returned to dispatch said rattlesnake. Decided to call it a day.
Uh huh.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:12 PM   #173
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Uh huh.
Yeah huh...
Old 09-02-2008, 03:16 PM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs0460a View Post
Gave blood (as I always do, every 8 weeks).

I'm "required" to "take it easy" the rest of the day ....

(as I need an excuse ...)

- Ron
Hey, Ron---just wanted to say "Attaboy---and thanks" for giving blood. The technicians don't always think donors (they seem to see it just as a j*b and not as a link in the blood donation system that saves lives), so I'll be the one to do it! And yeah, take it easy for the rest of today---you deserve it.

I try to give blood every two months too---but was unable to do so last time due to very slight anemia. Will try again soon. Supposedly supplies are very low in some parts of the country due to the storms.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:36 PM   #175
Recycles dryer sheets

Today I went to the dentist - after procrastinating a bit. Then I came home and set up my next several appointments for a root canal and crown.

Now that the appointments are made... I sure hope my ER doesn't get in the way of following through
Old 09-02-2008, 04:08 PM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
Supposedly supplies are very low in some parts of the country due to the storms.
That may be true. While I was "in the chair", the local staff were notified that they were going on double shifts for the next few days. However, I suspect it was due to a local shortage since they were looking for specific types.

- Ron
Old 09-02-2008, 05:59 PM   #177
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs0460a View Post
That may be true. While I was "in the chair", the local staff were notified that they were going on double shifts for the next few days. However, I suspect it was due to a local shortage since they were looking for specific types.

- Ron
The folks at the blood center know me by sight. They (new and old) always speak in admiration of my veins.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:54 PM   #178

Happy Birthday Khan.....(belated)
Was woken up with a few kisses and coffee in bed.
Came home, got ready, and worked my last full day in mega-corp.
Packed, shredded, and gave away desk items.
Went to lunch with a co-worker.
Went to work at the spa from 5-9.
Talked on the phone with a couple of people.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:37 PM   #179
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Alarm went off at 5am, outta bed at 5:15, outta the house at 5:40 to take DD to her early morning class. Parked car at office at 6:10, checked emails, out for brief walk at 6:30, gym down the street from office opens at 7:00 am, treadmill for 70min, too exhausted so can't run today (been running a couple miles a day, plus a few more walking), 8:15 shower & dress, 8:40 back in the saddle Aeron office chair at work, check the markets and brokerage accounts, 9am more emails, 9:30-11:30 exec meeting, 11:30-12 read snail mail and sign some authorizations, 12:00-13:00 lunch and my favorite part of the day (on this board). That takes me up to about now, more meetings this afternoon, but not too heavy today.

Everyday is getting to be pretty much the same, gym, meetings, decisions, email. Economy is bad in this country, our industry is suffering a little but not so much as the markets have factored into our stock price. I sit here, have meetings, make decisions (sometimes tough ones including having to RIF about 200 positions - all by natural attrition, no lay-offs...but no fun and no back-fills either), do the best I can under the circumstances, but I am trying to limit the stress that has been associated with my j*b for the last 10 years or so...I want to make it to RE. Golden handcuffs come off in a few months, so I gotta stick it out till then. The new pair of handcuffs megacorp is offering aren't very shiny, so even though I will not resign just yet, Megacorps new handcuffs won't entice me to stay any longer than the day that I am ready to go.

Bottom line - I'm a bit bored...the former excitement and glory of what I do is largely gone. I see that some of you who are FIREd are a bit bored...it happens I guess, but I have a lot of things I want to do once I am FIREd...hope I don't get bored.

R
Old 09-03-2008, 07:31 AM   #180

A belated happy birthday to Khan. I hope the squirrels threw you a great party!