Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 04:16 PM   #18021
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I worked online for about 30 minutes. Then I went off to diagnose a computer problem. Had to bring home 2 problem pc's. Spoke with the business manager and he also handed me payment for previous work. Got the ok to purchase a power supply and other minor things.

Hit the shore traffic at noon on my way back.

Blew out an incredible amount of dust from a dell 3000. Maybe that caused some of the problems? Lol. Replaced the mb battery and had to flash a new bios since the settings would not stick. Threw in a memory upgrade cause I am a nice guy.

Installed free Avast and running that now. This pc has been passed between several offices.

Ordered a power supply for the other pc so we can have a spare.

Tonight I'll have to catch up on some other work that I had to bypass so I could fetch these pc's.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2015, 04:28 PM   #18022

My grandson turns 4 and we are celebrating his birthday at our house. I put this together for him (though it stays in our basement).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Track.jpg (510.1 KB, 21 views)

Old 08-14-2015, 05:05 PM   #18023

Nice layout, Michael! He (and you as well) will have a blast playing with that.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:22 PM   #18024
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I want one! I remember as a young boy being keenly interested in slot cars. I had a small layout at home and a nearby shopping center had a huge slot car track with 8 or so lanes and was perhaps 30' x 10' and laid out somewhat similar to the picture that we would bring our own cars to and rent time.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:34 PM   #18025
Full time employment: Posting here.

Did some morning chores before setting out on a walk (slacking lately) to Torrey Pines St Beach.

Man - it is brutally hot in San Diego - even on the coast with nary a breeze.

Walked the bridge up towards Del Mar, then back along the beach to Flat Rock and then up the Beach Trail to the top of Torrey Pines and down the road back to my truck.

Totally drenched.

Back home I watered the wilting plants in the garden.
Did a nasty job - found a dead rat in one of the backyard bushes - smelled a 'not right' odor and found the carcass..blech. Disposed of right away.

Now just 'chillin' before DW comes home with some Chinese takeout - too hot to cook.

Will just plop down in front of the tv later to share a show or movie.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:39 PM   #18026

Spent my 60th birthday bike riding, and testing out my new gopro chest mount. Now getting ready to go to a bridal shower after party,
Attached Files
Old 08-14-2015, 06:15 PM   #18027
Recycles dryer sheets

I put this Carrera GO (1/32) layout together for the grandkids when they were here visiting a couple months ago!
Attached Images
Old 08-14-2015, 06:48 PM   #18028
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Spent my 60th birthday bike riding, and testing out my new gopro chest mount. Now getting ready to go to a bridal shower after party,
Happy Birthday!

I spent most of the day in Real Estate H***. Honestly real estate drives me nuts! But that's OK. Soon my old house will be sold, and I can forget about real estate transactions for a long, long time. I don't ever plan to move again.

Love my new house, though. Got a garage door opener installed this week.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-14-2015, 07:00 PM   #18029

Thanks W2R! And you're in the last mile of your real estate marathon. You bought your dream house, moved in, and sold (almost) your old house. It's time to kick back and relax!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-15-2015, 05:23 AM   #18030

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
My grandson turns 4 and we are celebrating his birthday at our house. I put this together for him (though it stays in our basement).

I wish I had a grandfather like you. Your grandson is one fortunate kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-15-2015, 05:35 AM   #18031

For the past 2 days I have been at the National flute convention in Washington D.C. I woke up from dreaming in flute music the past two mornings (including today). Yesterday I heard Emma Respini play--oh my. (Check her out on YouTube), she's a child prodigy, now is 15. Today James Galway will be here.

I've played in the flute orchestra (200 flutes) and a flute choir, played duets with my friend in the hotel room. Everywhere you walk you hear amazing flute players. It's been a magical week so far. A leap forward in my playing too.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:15 AM   #18032
Give me a forum ...

SIL plays flute in her church choir.... I'm sure she would enjoy that convention.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:05 AM   #18033
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
For the past 2 days I have been at the National flute convention in Washington D.C. I woke up from dreaming in flute music the past two mornings (including today). Yesterday I heard Emma Respini play--oh my. (Check her out on YouTube), she's a child prodigy, now is 15. Today James Galway will be here.

I've played in the flute orchestra (200 flutes) and a flute choir, played duets with my friend in the hotel room. Everywhere you walk you hear amazing flute players. It's been a magical week so far. A leap forward in my playing too.

This is so weird to me (in a good way! Not being at all musical, I never considered that there could be a whole orchestra of just one instrument) and yet it sounds so beautiful. You must feel like you are in heaven. Post pictures!
Old 08-15-2015, 06:12 PM   #18034
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Donated blood this morning.

Helped capture some wild bees, but they were unhappy and left.

Harvested some okra and beans.

Managed a load of laundry before rain.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:18 PM   #18035
Administrator

I spent several more hours working on my staircase. It's getting close to done. Then the young wife and I took the roadster out for lunch outside at a nice little restaurant overlooking the Housatonic River. We followed that with a trip to Rich Farm Ice Cream in Oxford. Caramel swirl -- mmmmmm!
Old 08-15-2015, 06:24 PM   #18036

Made a stand for the autographed football that DW won at Bears training camp. Took the corvette out for a lunch ride on old US 66. Put some photos on poster boards for a photo contest.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:54 PM   #18037

Drove down to Virginia Beach, VA with DW. SIL rented a beach house and lots of family is here. I simply cannot believe I forgot my camera tripod, the charger for the camera, and the charger for the off-camera flashes. I'm not too concerned about the batteries as I have plenty of spares but the tripod is an irritation. I had specifically packed a neutral density filter to get some "soft water" images of the ocean.

It's all DW's fault of course, she distracted me when I was going back inside to get them and wanted me to pack something else.

Photos are from the top deck of the two-level deck.
Attached Images
Old 08-16-2015, 08:22 PM   #18038
Recycles dryer sheets

Worked for one hour this morning, walked the dog early to beat the heat and all day I've been sitting in front of a fan. The SF Bay Area's summer climate has changed so much from when I was a kid - we never had hot, hot summers like this. Looking for a cooler climate to move to to!!
Old 08-16-2015, 09:40 PM   #18039
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinCella View Post
Worked for one hour this morning, walked the dog early to beat the heat and all day I've been sitting in front of a fan. The SF Bay Area's summer climate has changed so much from when I was a kid - we never had hot, hot summers like this. Looking for a cooler climate to move to to!!

Sounds like my day. It is 83F in my living room right now. And the air quality is terrible too, with all that smoke from the wildfires up north. I hope the fog comes back soon...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-16-2015, 10:10 PM   #18040
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinCella View Post
We had a squirrel stretched out under a lawn chair on the cement patio most of the afternoon trying to keep cool.

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Closed Thread