Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 11:47 PM   #18141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

MBAustin - what a darling dog. I hope the trial adoption works out.

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2015, 07:57 AM   #18142
Full time employment: Posting here.

In the past few days I've done two things that are often advised against on this forum. I bought a boat, and was elected to the Board of Directors of our HOA.

The boat is really not a big deal. I paid $300 for a ~20-year-old Sunfish here at the lake. It needs some work (for example the bow handle is missing) but the sail is in decent shape and it floats. I'll spend the off-season cleaning it up and repairing what I can, then next summer I will learn to sail.

The HOA thing will probably be a bigger deal, and I hope I don't regret volunteering. It's the HOA at our vacation home, a three-year term. If I start venting here in the forum, you all have permission to remind me that I volunteered for this.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:59 AM   #18143
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
MBAustin - what a darling dog. I hope the trial adoption works out.
+1
Dont know what he's mixed with, we've had 2 Maltese they are great dogs.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:02 AM   #18144
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
The HOA thing will probably be a bigger deal, and I hope I don't regret volunteering. It's the HOA at our vacation home, a three-year term. If I start venting here in the forum, you all have permission to remind me that I volunteered for this.
I have been an HOA president for ~6 years. One of the first tasks I did as president was to foreclose on someone not paying their assessments. He has a problem following the rules too, so it was a great decision to remove him.

Understand the declarations and bylaws. They will be your best friend. Enforce the rules, or the neighborhood will go to trash.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 09-06-2015, 01:03 PM   #18145

What did I do today? So far, not much.

However, this past week was exceptionally busy.

Last Saturday we sold my car, so we are now a one car family for the first time in 28 years. We'll evaluate this experiment in 6 months and see if it has been successful.

Last Sunday I played flute at church along with a wonderful soprano. If you are interested, you can listen to it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fkvdmcc7n8...erman.mp3?dl=0

Sunday afternoon I left for a golf trip to Bandon Dunes. 18 holes Monday and 36 holes Tuesday through Friday. Flew back yesterday.

Today I might mow the lawn. But I might not.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:10 PM   #18146
Recycles dryer sheets

Lazy day. I am working tomorrow so today I sat poolside with my feet up and read a romance novel.

HAPPY LABOR DAY TO ALL!!
Old 09-06-2015, 07:41 PM   #18147
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If it is labor day, how come management is not working?
Old 09-06-2015, 08:13 PM   #18148
Give me a forum ...

Happy belated birthday Khan !

Today was my 57th birthday. Mr B treated me to a dozen red roses, a certificate for therapeutic massage, a nice card and LOBSTER !

The local grocery store had it on sale for $5.99 per lb, so he boogied on down there yesterday and came home with 6 steamed lobsters. I ate 2 of them today. Oink !
He only ate 1 today. I put the claws and tails from the remaining 3 in the deep freeze. I pulled all the tiny pieces of tender meat from the legs and thorax for lobster bisque and/or salad.
Tomorrow we will both go and order 6 each, steamed to go. More for the freezer.

We watched the Red Sox play this afternoon. Nice and comfy inside in AC while it hit 90F outside.

All in all a fabulous day.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:28 PM   #18149
Recycles dryer sheets

Happy birthday, Freebird! Many prosperous and healthy more ��
Old 09-06-2015, 08:51 PM   #18150
Recycles dryer sheets

Drove out to local Big Lake. Neighbors took us out on their 30 foot sailboat. We had a great time sailing and chatting.

For years I have fantasized about spending time in an RV or cabin sailboat. Well, at least for the big sailboat, I can live by our pastor's mantra "I can admire you but not acquire you". Seems like lots of money & work to keep everything afloat. Plus I could never afford one big enough for my 55" flat screen TV and no place to play electric guitar. Oh well, ER life goes on... (DW breathes sigh of relief...)
Old 09-07-2015, 05:08 PM   #18151

On the way out of the gym I noticed a small nail in the left rear tire of DW's car. It's in the part between the tread and sidewall so probably cannot be repaired - too much flexing goes on there. This probably means two new tires because the ones on there have sufficient mileage (28K) that the difference in tread depth would make it handle funny in a skid. Oh well, at least I found it before it went flat when DW was out by herself somewhere.

I have a small compressor in the garage so I'll pump it back up again tomorrow morning and take the car to the shop.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:24 PM   #18152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
On the way out of the gym I noticed a small nail in the left rear tire of DW's car. It's in the part between the tread and sidewall so probably cannot be repaired - too much flexing goes on there. This probably means two new tires because the ones on there have sufficient mileage (28K) that the difference in tread depth would make it handle funny in a skid. Oh well, at least I found it before it went flat when DW was out by herself somewhere.

I have a small compressor in the garage so I'll pump it back up again tomorrow morning and take the car to the shop.
I got a nail in the side of the tread. Tire shop would not fix it, so I put a plug in it. It has been fine for a year plus now. I wouldn't plug a sidewall, but this seemed reasonable.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:35 AM   #18153

Relaxing Labor Day- son and girlfriend were here for the weekend and they headed for home after a late breakfast. Mostly hung around as it was well over 90 outside- watered the alpacas down to give them a nice break from the heat and DW found this in the barn. Must have been on the Hickory tree that is in the lot- she relocated him to another Hickory tree where he won't get trampled. Wikipedia says this is a Hickory Horned Devil caterpillar.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:44 AM   #18154
Give me a forum ...

Happy Birthday Freebird !
Old 09-08-2015, 08:59 AM   #18155

Did nothing of import on Labor Day.

Made sausage omelets topped with some home made Hatch NM green chile sauce for breakfast, piddled about, had to turn on the AC as it was hot, watched some tv, piddled about some more, and had a delicious dinner of fajitas.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:48 PM   #18156
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Relaxing Labor Day- son and girlfriend were here for the weekend and they headed for home after a late breakfast. Mostly hung around as it was well over 90 outside- watered the alpacas down to give them a nice break from the heat and DW found this in the barn. Must have been on the Hickory tree that is in the lot- she relocated him to another Hickory tree where he won't get trampled. Wikipedia says this is a Hickory Horned Devil caterpillar.

Beautiful caterpillar. They change into Regal Moths, which are also beautiful. I had a bunch of Parsley Worms this year and I was looking forward to seeing all the Black Swallowtails they become. But the suckers ate so much parsley they died off before they metamorphosized, so it was a lose/lose. No parsley, no butterlies.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:20 PM   #18157

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I got a nail in the side of the tread. Tire shop would not fix it, so I put a plug in it. It has been fine for a year plus now. I wouldn't plug a sidewall, but this seemed reasonable.
They wouldn't fix it, which I expected, and I'm not keen on DW driving around on an "iffy" tire so I bought a new one. At least it was only one. Thirty+ years ago I might have gone with the plug on my car only, but where we are now a new tire is an annoyance, not much of an expense.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:25 PM   #18158
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
They wouldn't fix it, which I expected, and I'm not keen on DW driving around on an "iffy" tire so I bought a new one. At least it was only one. Thirty+ years ago I might have gone with the plug on my car only, but where we are now a new tire is an annoyance, not much of an expense.
Good call. I'd have done the same for DW's car, but I'm a cheapskate at heart.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:42 PM   #18159

Got older son successfully launched for high school. Minor snafu with his schedule (no math) but that got resolved.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:00 AM   #18160

Morning chores, including towels and sheets - thought the washer developed a leak as water was on the floor, but couldn't find any leak with a 2nd smaller load (determined it was 'pilot error' in overloading the tub), researched bus schedules to downtown for jury duty next week, called Bicycle Warehouse in the hopes they had a record of our purchase of mountain bikes years ago (lent oldest DS at college my bike, it was stolen 2 days after he got there) - but no luck.

Tried to stay cool as it was beastly hot yesterday - broke down and turned on the AC.

Called some friends and planned out a bbq for this Sunday.

Went to my second free Jazz88 concert last night at San Diego City College Saville Theatre with DW. Had a great time, fantastic performance by Doug Webb (tenor sax)!

Tried to stay up for the first Stephen Colbert/Late Night show....nope...fell asleep.