Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 06:59 PM   #18221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Went for my last sail of the year... it was so windy I decided that running both the jib and main were too much for me singlehanded so I took down the jib and ran only on the main. Had a nice sail then put the boat on the trailer for the season. Then I took out the boat lift with the tractor.... took the mast down on the cat and stored it for the winter... finished winterizing mom's inboard/outboard... etc. Was so pooped I took a nap.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2015, 07:04 PM   #18222
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Victory

Every few years our range freaks out, starts beeping, and then fixes itself. Yesterday it started beeping and then buzzing loudly. I pulled it out opened things up, and it stopped. I put it back and let Lena think I was a genius.

Then it starts buzzing again, and kept buzzing when I opened it up. I jiggled things and found the source of the problem. I blew some compressed air in there, and all the noises stopped.

So, I conclude that a spider or some dust was shorting things out.

Failure

At one point I had to switch off the range circuit at the circuit breaker. Years ago, I'd scribbled the list of plugs and lights that each circuit fed inside the cover to the box.

I thought, okay, I'm going to enter this in on the computer and print out a nice, legible sheet. I brought the grimy, rusty cover in, transcribed my scribbles, and then thought I'll print out a copy and tape it in the cover.

I looked down at the bottom of the cover, and there was a nice printout, just like the one I'd just typed in. Apparently I'd already done it.

I'd actually searched for a file with "circuit" in the title, but I'd searched in the wrong place.

The worst was that from the date on file, I had done this less than a year ago.

Memory is the second thing to go...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 09-19-2015, 07:10 PM   #18223
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Finally got around to reassembling my bookcases and started unpacking books. I am NEVER moving again.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:43 PM   #18224
Give me a forum ...

Khan, you ain't doing bad. You can allow yourself to be happy now. You're OK! (The truck pix were a riot!)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 09-20-2015, 12:47 AM   #18225
Give me a forum ...

I just came back from a niece's wedding. I have rarely stayed at a wedding to the end, but I felt good today and we are very close to our nieces.

It's good once in a while to dress up in a suit, and I put on my brand-new wingtip shoes. The theme they chose was Southwestern, and I requested some songs from the mariachi all-female band. And I even danced to the music by the lakeside courtyard (aided by a bit of Cognac).

Life is short, and we must enjoy and cherish the short time we have on earth with people we love.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 09-20-2015, 04:52 PM   #18226
Administrator

DW and I went to see "Black Mass" yesterday. Very entertaining, and good to see Johnny Depp as a bad guy.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:23 PM   #18227
Gone but not forgotten

Today I got to spend two and a half hours at a kids zone for anyone fortunate enough to not know what that is it is a large warehouse area that houses numerous bounce areas and climbing walls that encourages kids to scream continuously while they also pipe in loud music . It's like chucky cheese on steroids . I was there for a birthday party . Seriously folks do the grandparents a favor & do not invite them to birthday parties at these places or chucky cheese we will still give presents .
Old 09-20-2015, 06:26 PM   #18228
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Today I got to spend two and a half hours at a kids zone for anyone fortunate enough to not know what that is it is a large warehouse area that houses numerous bounce areas and climbing walls that encourages kids to scream continuously while they also pipe in loud music . It's like chucky cheese on steroids . I was there for a birthday party . Seriously folks do the grandparents a favor & do not invite them to birthday parties at these places or chucky cheese we will still give presents .
When my kids were small and we attended a few birthday parties at Chucky Cheese, I coined a joking phrase: Chucky Cheese birthday parties are God's way of punishing parents for having children!
Old 09-20-2015, 06:37 PM   #18229
Give me a forum ...

Breakfast at Bouldin Cafe.
BBQ at Salt Lick, near Austin.
Edge of Grace up next.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:07 PM   #18230
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
What is with the screaming? I've been to several kids birthday parties (at people's homes) recently and the screaming was nonstop. My parents would have killed me if I had behaved like that.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:23 PM   #18231
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
What is with the screaming? I've been to several kids birthday parties (at people's homes) recently and the screaming was nonstop. My parents would have killed me if I had behaved like that.
I am seriously considering throwing earplugs in my purse for these events . My parents would have never allowed us to scream non stop .
Old 09-21-2015, 01:43 PM   #18232

My parents made it clear they would not attend kiddy birthday parties - but would be happy to host a family meal with cake/gift exchange. We took the hint.

I was so old when I had the boys that I expect to be senile and deaf when it's my turn. LOL.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:58 PM   #18233
Give me a forum ...

Bi-annual physical today. All is well. Cholesterol is a little high, but in the range where he didn't feel compelled to insist that I start on statins but i could if I wanted to.... I decided not to do anything as my cholesterol has always been to the high end of the acceptable range and I don;t have any other risk factors. Weight was also higher... no surprise... but still in the ok range.

On the way home I hit a bad pothole and blew a tire.... luckily no big deal because the all seasons on the car were towards the end of their life and I was scheduled to put the almost new winters that I have on the car later this week so the blown tire will just cause me to do it tomorrow rather than Thursday as I had planned.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 09-21-2015, 03:27 PM   #18234
Give me a forum ...

Just came back from an errand run to get booze. Stopped by Ikea per my wife's request, and saw that they put out Christmas decorations already.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 09-21-2015, 03:48 PM   #18235

Today in the mail came a bit of junk mail that I almost threw out without opening. Out of idle curiosity and while standing over the trash can I opened it and found a $1 bill. Hmmm... so I read the letter. It seems Nielsen values my opinion enough to actually pay for it, although not much. They want to know what radio station I listen to. This will be a short survey - only one station, that in the truck or car, and only when there is program material on. I hit the mute button for commercials.

The letter says someone will call. My phone is unlisted, it is on the "do not call" list, so I wonder if they will.

So if you get a letter from Nielsen, open it. I know all here would feel terrible about throwing money in the trash.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:46 PM   #18236

I get surveys all the time with a fresh, crisp $1 bill in them. Occasionally even a $5 bill.

They assume you will be sufficiently impressed that you will actually answer them. And they're usually right.

I particularly like the wording in the ones I get from the WSJ. Something to the effect of "If you don't need the money, perhaps you can use it to brighten the day of a child you know." Now that, IMHO, is classy.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:52 PM   #18237
Moderator Emeritus

Dug a 140' trench for a downspout drain line. I used to have the downspout drain pop up about 20' from the house but it's kind of flat there and stays wet a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-22-2015, 04:00 PM   #18238

Dropped the boys off at the bus stop for school

Walked the dog on the beach.

Came home, took a shower in the outdoor shower.

Ran a quick estimate of taxes for 2015 using 2014 turbo tax to make sure I don't need to send in any estimated payments. (We haven't paid on rental income, but I had taxes taken out of my inherited IRA RMD and DH has fed tax taken out of his SS... so we're good.)

Baked banana bread with some VERY ripe bananas.

Picked up the boys from school.

Ate some banana bread with the boys.

Had a 'discussion' with Time Warner to figure out the cheapest option for me. Apparently my "starter tv" package was never billed. Now that they're going all digital, I need to get it added. (It had showed up on my statements as recently as the spring - but didn't show on the past few statements.) I ordered a cable card for my tivo ($2.50/month) and a digital adapter for the kitchen tv (which won't work with the old series 2 tivo we have so we'll mostly be over the air for the kitchen). The digital adapter is free till next December - so I'll return it at that point. My bill will increase $12.50 : $10 for the starter tv, $2.50 for the cable card. Not happy about that but it will still be under $60 for starter tv and standard internet... better than most folks. It will go up another $12 in a year and I'll probably cancel the video portion.

Now I'm going to start the cauliflower curry for dinner. My younger son requested it. Have to figure out what protein to put with it.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:16 PM   #18239

Still adjusting to my 0500 wake-up to put our new doggie out - he hasn't figured out that I really prefer to sleep until at least 6:30. At least I can go back to bed after he does his thing and comes back in.

After walk with said doggie and breakfast, caught up on e-mail and FB, made some phone calls to reschedule a meeting, and checked in with a friend recuperating from surgery. Paid bills and then realized I had the rest of the day to tackle a chore from my fall cleaning list. Decided to empty, clean and reorganize the pantry, as I recently spotted a few #$%^!@ pantry moths. (Had a really terrible infestation about 10 years ago - fortunately caught it much earlier this time.)

After emptying everything, I decided to go to the Container Store to get some new bins, etc. Stopped by Trader Joe's but they didn't have the 2 things I went in for (whole wheat fresh pizza dough and frozen sliced leeks).

Almost done putting everything back!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4470.jpg (114.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 09-22-2015, 05:07 PM   #18240

I'm impressed MBAustin. Our house didn't come with a pantry - but we put shelves in a nearby coat/utilty closet and it does the job - but it's not nearly as pretty and organized as yours. I have pantry envy.
Closed Thread