Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 07:18 PM   #18241
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I thought I was the only one using a closet for a pantry. Ours is in our extra bedroom/office. It's not close to the kitchen but it was available space so that's what I use. It holds A LOT OF STUFF while our kitchen cabinets are small and it's very hard to reach things in back in the lower cabinets.

Nice job, MBAustin. Count me as another one with pantry envy.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2015, 09:11 PM   #18242
Administrator

We have two pantries. Neither is as organized as that one. Add another to the pantry envy list.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:14 PM   #18243

We just spent a few days painting and reorganizing our pantry and it's not even close to MBAustin's level of pantry organization.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-22-2015, 09:59 PM   #18244
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

More kitchen storage is good... Decided I didn't have enough kitchen storage in the house I am building. When I asked the architect to take 4 feet from the wood shop for a pantry, she went wild and suggested I should have a place for a kitchen table. (I just thought more shop space was higher priority. ) I wound up with 8 feet of shop gone, but I now have an 8 foot closet/pantry and a dining nook. I think the closet will work great and it is right off the kitchen. The view from the dining table where I will drink my morning coffee will be grand!
Old 09-22-2015, 10:59 PM   #18245
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
More kitchen storage is good... Decided I didn't have enough kitchen storage in the house I am building. When I asked the architect to take 4 feet from the wood shop for a pantry, she went wild and suggested I should have a place for a kitchen table. (I just thought more shop space was higher priority. ) I wound up with 8 feet of shop gone, but I now have an 8 foot closet/pantry and a dining nook. I think the closet will work great and it is right off the kitchen. The view from the dining table where I will drink my morning coffee will be grand!
If you really are a hermit living in the boonies, you will want to shop in bulk. A large pantry seems like a great idea!
Old 09-22-2015, 11:14 PM   #18246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
If you really are a hermit living in the boonies, you will want to shop in bulk. A large pantry seems like a great idea!

I agree, but the space would be better as workshop space IMO

Old 09-22-2015, 11:21 PM   #18247
Give me a forum ...

We've got a pretty nice pantry, about 6' x 6'. It's even pretty well organized right now, as we recently got rid of a lot of stuff we don't eat anymore. Not quite as well organized as MBAustin's but close. When we built the house we were thinking of putting in an elevator, since there was a possibility of my Mom moving in, but we decided to use that space as a pantry until we needed the elevator. She passed away, but we may still convert it someday if the stairs get too difficult. If so, we'll just use some garage space for food storage.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:10 PM   #18248
Give me a forum ...

Pantry envy...that's a new one.

MBAustin's looks fabulous. Nice j*b !

I have a ceiling to floor kitchen pantry with 4 roll out shelves, plus a smaller one for overflow, built in the tiny closet under the stairs. The smaller one is excellent for cans and glass jars, which are arranged on simple straight narrow shelves so I can read the damn labels immediately without having to lift them. The upper one is for frequent use items...dry goods, tea, rice, pasta, vinegar, etc. and a few small appliances.

It snows pretty heavily in these parts, so each fall I make sure I am well stocked on all fronts. Why battle the snow to go to the grocery store ?

There is hope...most cupboards can be retro-fitted with roll-out shelves.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:25 PM   #18249
Administrator

MBAustin, gorgeous pantry! It's enough to inspire pantry envy in any of us. I love the way you organized everything. Due to that, and due to its large size, you can instantly tell exactly what you have, with one glance.

My new-to-me dream house doesn't have a walk in pantry, but it has a large, deep two door cabinet that extends from about 2.5' off the floor to about 6' off the floor. Not only that, it has a huge amount of storage in the kitchen - - so many kitchen cabinets that 5-6 of the usual upper cabinets and several of the lower cabinets were empty even after I unpacked everything from the move. So, I am using those, plus the pantry cabinet for pantry items. They are only about half full so far, if that.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-23-2015, 03:11 PM   #18250

When I saw that pantry I almost posted a photo of ours, but DW would have had a fit since all the broom handles aren't perfectly aligned and labels forward and such. I guess it could be called walk in, but for a 5-year-old.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:20 PM   #18251
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
It snows pretty heavily in these parts, so each fall I make sure I am well stocked on all fronts. Why battle the snow to go to the grocery store ?
Just be careful as you get older, and possibly crazier. My mother, who lived in the boonies and could easily get snowed in, was always bragging about how well stocked her pantry was for emergencies. After she passed, DD got the job of emptying it, with the plan of giving any unexpired stuff to the local food pantry. Well, we didn't give them much. Most of it was well expired, and two of the cans exploded in DD's hand, covering it with black stinky goo. She's a good daughter, taking one for the team.

We found a few cans that had expired in 1998 (this was last fall).

I'm sure your pantry is well organized, with the stock being constantly rotated and all. It just blew me away when I saw hers. getting old cansuck, that's for sure.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:26 PM   #18252

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Most of it was well expired, and two of the cans exploded in DD's hand, covering it with black stinky goo. She's a good daughter, taking one for the team
That sounds like my Mom. She grew up in the Great Depression and had some hard times. They never had to stand in bread lines but there were times they were only a few days away from that. That had an effect on her for life.

The basement had cans and cans of food in it, almost enough to fill a car trunk. When she moved most of it was expired and a few were swelling but none exploded on us.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:44 PM   #18253

I truly was not intending to induce pantry envy among the nice folks here!

It was a nice pantry when we bought the house, but as part of the remodeling, we removed the big clunky fixed shelves and replaced them with adjustable bracket shelving, and also widened the door from 24" to 36". The door change was to accommodate DH's wheelchair, but it had the extra effect of making everything much more visible and accessible.

Today DH and I took Skittles (new dog) out for a practice walk since I'll be out of town next week for several days. Skittles isn't doing so well walking with the wheelchair so we have a call in for some dog training help. May need to get a dog walker to come in for a few days until we can get him trained.

Took Skittles over to see my friend who is recuperating from surgery and when we got home, realized he really needed a bath. Had no idea how he would react, but fortunately he was his normal calm self - sat in the kitchen sink while I lathered him up and rinsed him off. He's a great little dog!

Drove DH to the gym and worked on flight options for DD for Christmas. Off now to prayer group and choir practice.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:26 PM   #18254
Give me a forum ...

My pantry is smaller than MBAustin's, so I built more shelves in the utility room for more storage.

I won't count cans and jars to compare, but have a lot more than the amount of food shown in the above photo.

If one believes in reincarnation, he will say that perhaps we died of hunger in our past life, hence now hoard food. But I do go through it every so often to rotate and have not had a swollen can.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:48 PM   #18255
Recycles dryer sheets

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1443210436.778967.jpgwalked past this restaurant in Cleveland while visiting DM. Seemed appropriate for this group!

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:55 PM   #18256
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

A few minutes ago a passing thunderstorm blessed me with a lightning strike. Blew out my home alarm system, wireless internet radio and DirecTV receiver. Still looking for other damage. I'm posting this from my phone....

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 09-25-2015, 02:56 PM   #18257

Yikes, REWahoo! I hope that's the extent of your damage.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:09 PM   #18258
Give me a forum ...

We have a deep and narrow pantry (38" wide and ~6' deep that we access from a 30" swing door at one end) and we still don't quite know what to do with it. It was just a small space in the floor plan that we didn't want to see go to waste. Right now, it has 16" deep shelving along the back wall and we have hooks along the sides where we hang raincoats, brooms, etc.

The best alternative I can think of is re-doing the shelving to have deeper shelves that roll out to be able to access things on the back of the shelves or perhaps a 37" diameter floor to ceiling roundtable of shelves (like in some corner kitchen cabinets) that would improve the storage.

The problem is that the pantry is so narrow and deep.

We currently have our laundry downstairs but I do have in the back of my mind to convert the pantry to a laundry if we get to the point that we can no longer negotiate the stairs as there is a power room on the back side of the pantry wall so access to plumbing would be pretty easy.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:17 PM   #18259

Took the dog for his morning beach walk. Marveled at the surfers who were there participating in the International Adaptive Surfing Competition. (I don't have good enough balance to surf with 2 legs - I can't imagine doing it with a prosthetic leg - but these guys and gals were AMAZING.)

Came home cleaned the house. Found more ants. (We are seriously infested despite my extensive cleaning/putting out traps/etc.) I am so over them.

Had a former roommate call to pitch a company/service she's selling. Interesting concept but it's a monthly subscription and isn't in my budget. While on the phone with her, got a phonecall from the school nurse... (Cue dramatic music)... my younger son injured himself at lunch today. Possible sprain on the top of his foot. Nurse doesn't think it's broken since he could bear weight.

I am over these injuries from my boys. Over and done!
Old 09-25-2015, 04:02 PM   #18260
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
A few minutes ago a passing thunderstorm blessed me with a lightning strike. Blew out my home alarm system, wireless internet radio and DirecTV receiver. Still looking for other damage. I'm posting this from my phone....
Be glad it was only that.
I had a friend once who was using his amateur radio when his antenna got hit by lightning.
Knocked him through the back wall of his shack (just drywall, thankfully) but he got a concussion and a broken rib out of it.

Thunderstorms are far more dangerous than most people realize (although I'm sure you're well aware of it).