Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 06:48 PM   #18281

Headed home after another great week in Denver. I've been one of the judges at the Great American Beer Festival since 2002, and I keep coming back because I enjoy the camaraderie so much. This year the number of judges exploded to over 240 in order to judge the equally exploded number of beers entered in the competition (over 6,800).

But what really got me is the fact that there were twice as many breweries entering beers this year (over 1,500) as there were just two years ago.

You many have noticed that there seem to be many more microbreweries and brewpubs opening up lately. It's not just your imagination!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2015, 09:19 PM   #18282
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Headed home after another great week in Denver. I've been one of the judges at the Great American Beer Festival since 2002, and I keep coming back because I enjoy the camaraderie so much. This year the number of judges exploded to over 240 in order to judge the equally exploded number of beers entered in the competition (over 6,800).

But what really got me is the fact that there were twice as many breweries entering beers this year (over 1,500) as there were just two years ago.

You many have noticed that there seem to be many more microbreweries and brewpubs opening up lately. It's not just your imagination!
Sounds like my idea of a great time! The microbrewery explosion is one of the reasons I quit brewing my own beer. No need to brew my own - It's so easy to get high quality beers commercially.
Truck accessories
Old 09-28-2015, 12:36 PM   #18283
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Truck accessories

Accessories for small people added to truck.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:28 PM   #18284
Moderator Emeritus

Great accessory, Khan! You look so happy too, and that is best of all.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 09-28-2015, 03:35 PM   #18285
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Harvest is in full swing so I went for a drive around the countryside. Most grains are done but beans, sugar beets, potatos, and corn are being harvested now. It's fun to see some of the richest farm land on earth. When I was a child I assumed all dirt was black.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.jpg (449.6 KB, 22 views)
Old 09-28-2015, 04:28 PM   #18286
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Accessories for small people added to truck.

You look waaaaay toooo happy!
Old 09-30-2015, 03:23 PM   #18287
Administrator

I was over at Lowes this afternoon picking up a few things and saw this. It's still September.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lowes.jpg (114.6 KB, 164 views)
Old 09-30-2015, 03:27 PM   #18288
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I was over at Lowes this afternoon picking up a few things and saw this. It's still September.
That's insane! I was aghast just to see Hallowe'en decorations out in residential areas this past weekend.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 09-30-2015, 03:29 PM   #18289

Quote:
It (Christmas displays in stores) seems to creep up a few days or weeks every year.

Got our flu shots. I had a regularly scheduled doctor appointment and DW tagged along for the shot.

It seems the doctor's practice is now owned by the local hospital. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I suspect the latter. All the staff from the doc on down were struggling with learning the new software they have to use.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:32 PM   #18290

As I posted here previously, the Halloween decorations started going up where I live back in early August.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:28 PM   #18291
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

It seems the doctor's practice is now owned by the local hospital. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I suspect the latter.
I don't know your health care arrangement, but it is generally a bad thing for payors when this happens. First, the rates charged will now be the ones negotiated by the hospital, which are generally higher than those that can be negotiated by an independent small physician practice. Second, this means that there may now be a "facility fee" charged, which is sort of a general allocation of hospital overhead that gets charged to everyone who goes to a hospital "facility", which need not be anywhere near the actual hospital. All in all, the same service from the same person in the same office will likely now cost substantially more.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:33 PM   #18292
Recycles dryer sheets

Took the pontoon out of the lake. Earliest ever due to a wedding this weekend. Last night was down into the 40's and seeming like Halloween. Summers keep getting shorter
Old 09-30-2015, 04:38 PM   #18293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
All in all, the same service from the same person in the same office will likely now cost substantially more.
I suspected as much simply because of diminished competition. The same entity owns all but one of the hospitals in the tri-county area and now they're buying the physician's practices. Not good.

We are fortunate to have very good insurance coverage (secondary to Medicare for me) so hopefully the effect on us will be slight if noticeable at all.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:40 PM   #18294
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
As I posted here previously, the Halloween decorations started going up where I live back in early August.
Amazing. Who really is getting ready for Christmas?

I get the feeling this is similar to what we called busy work. No one expected it to produce anything useful, but a manager somewhere could say with confidence that a retail strategy was underway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I don't know your health care arrangement, but it is generally a bad thing for payors when this happens. First, the rates charged will now be the ones negotiated by the hospital, which are generally higher than those that can be negotiated by an independent small physician practice. Second, this means that there may now be a "facility fee" charged, which is sort of a general allocation of hospital overhead that gets charged to everyone who goes to a hospital "facility", which need not be anywhere near the actual hospital. All in all, the same service from the same person in the same office will likely now cost substantially more.
My insurance doesn't include facility fees, and it doesn't count toward deductible of out of pocket, and I think the same applies to Medicare. Health care..
Old 09-30-2015, 05:39 PM   #18295
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was in Costco last night and noticed a display of holiday wrappings and ribbons. Yuk.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 09-30-2015, 05:40 PM   #18296
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idnar7 View Post
Took the pontoon out of the lake. Earliest ever due to a wedding this weekend. Last night was down into the 40's and seeming like Halloween. Summers keep getting shorter
Mine is still in. I'm hoping to have another trip ro two in the next few weeks and then will take it out.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 09-30-2015, 06:00 PM   #18297
Administrator

Quote:
My insurance doesn't include facility fees, and it doesn't count toward deductible of out of pocket.
You might not pay more, but your insurance company probably will, and that eventually gets reflected in premiums.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:02 PM   #18298

Khan, You do look so happy in that picture. It looks like marriage and living in FL agree with you.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:07 PM   #18299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

Got our flu shots. I had a regularly scheduled doctor appointment and DW tagged along for the shot.

It seems the doctor's practice is now owned by the local hospital. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I suspect the latter. All the staff from the doc on down were struggling with learning the new software they have to use.
I had a regularly scheduled doctor appointment today also. They did not mention flu shots and I did not think to ask about them. I usually get mine toward the end of October.

My doctor's office is now owned by the local hospital also. It will be interesting to see what is charged and paid by insurance, when I get my explanation of benefits from them.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:19 AM   #18300
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That's insane! I was aghast just to see Hallowe'en decorations out in residential areas this past weekend.
Relax, and have a pumpkin spice latte...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Closed Thread