Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 07:16 PM   #18361

Michael - that doesn't sound like fun.

Started my day with a walk on the beach. We're in the middle of a Santa Ana - but it was still cool at sunrise. I've attached a picture of the sunrise over Scripps Institute.

That put me in a good enough mood to spend a few hours cleaning. Then I got the kids and had a meeting of my son's robotic team. They completed one of the missions - so we won't be tooooo embarrassed at the competition. (It would stink to have no points at all in the robotics game.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151009_063832_resized.jpg (351.7 KB, 24 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2015, 10:32 PM   #18362
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Most of the day was just the usual walk the dog, errands and household chores. We had to stop by Fidelity for some business and found out it was customer appreciation week so we got to collect some free snacks and swag.

For dinner we went to a Japanese hibachi steakhouse - the kind where the chef prepares and cooks the food at the table.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 10-10-2015, 07:29 AM   #18363
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Why the need to calm down....realtor??
Sort of. Not because of the profession, more because this was a "hard sale" individual that wasn't going to leave without my signing on. Nothing against that, just a little tiring, as that's not really my style.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:34 AM   #18364
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Michael - that doesn't sound like fun.

Started my day with a walk on the beach. We're in the middle of a Santa Ana - but it was still cool at sunrise. I've attached a picture of the sunrise over Scripps Institute.

That put me in a good enough mood to spend a few hours cleaning. Then I got the kids and had a meeting of my son's robotic team. They completed one of the missions - so we won't be tooooo embarrassed at the competition. (It would stink to have no points at all in the robotics game.)
Very nice pic! The sunrises here in SD have been quite spectacular.

I caught this one just the other morning
Old 10-10-2015, 09:00 AM   #18365

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Sort of. Not because of the profession, more because this was a "hard sale" individual that wasn't going to leave without my signing on. Nothing against that, just a little tiring, as that's not really my style.
I had to laugh at this because it reminded me of a similar situation from a number of years ago. DW and I were interviewing realtors to sell our house, and we had one guy who thought he walked on water because he was the top seller at his agency.

After listening to him brag about himself for about 15 minutes (he never even looked at the house, just came in, sat down, and started talking), we looked at each other and started easing him out.

After several false starts, he said "You realize that if you don't hire me now you won't have another opportunity?" I replied "True, but neither will you. Have a nice evening."

We laughed about that for a long time.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:38 AM   #18366
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yesterday..got up and swam for the 4th day in a row in my swim spa. Yay. I love it. When to an appointment, and got inspired to clean the kitchen. I ended up wiping down every shelf and the lazy Susan, threw away some very old food, reorganized everything, etc. stepped outside periodically to shock the swim spa, adjust pH and the like. Brought the deck furniture inside since we were supposed to get a thunderstorm. It was still partly sunny when I covered the spa, having finished the chemical adjustments.

2 minutes later, DH comes running downstairs to tell me to get the spa covered and I look out the window...thousands of yellow leaves blowing sideways and rain coming down in sheets. The next thing was a 5 minute hailstorm. Talk about timing!

A very productive day around the house indeed!ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1444495005.160535.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-10-2015, 01:10 PM   #18367

Had to run errands today in the new 3500 dually pickup. It won't fit in a normal parking spot so I was polite and parked on the outer edge of every parking lot so that my taking up two spaces wouldn't inconvenience anyone.

Just got home and some @ss keyed my tailgate! I am so over this town (Vegas). The drivers are dangerous, many people are rude... I'm ready to move on.

DH is out of town at a pickleball tournament. Not going to tell him until he gets home. No point upsetting him.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:55 PM   #18368

Must be kitchen cleaning day in ER land! After walking the dog and going to farmers' market (with dog!), I decided to tackle one of my fall cleaning projects while watching the Texas-Oklahoma game - clean out all of the kitchen drawers, wash the dividers, etc. Was expecting a really sad game, but Texas surprised everyone - especially the Oklahoma team!

We're going to the wedding of two church friends later - they are both widowed (relatively young - probably in their 50's) and their romance developed after he joined the choir a few years ago. Very sweet story, and they asked the choir to sing in the service, which will be lots of fun.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:25 PM   #18369

Finally got up the nerve to try my first brisket on the BGE. Forgive me for bragging, but it was excellent! Probably among the top ten I've ever had, and that was just my first. Now I'm prepared to include it in my regular barbecue repertoire and I can't wait to try my next one, with some variations on what I did today.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:43 PM   #18370

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Finally got up the nerve to try my first brisket on the BGE. Forgive me for bragging, but it was excellent! Probably among the top ten I've ever had, and that was just my first. Now I'm prepared to include it in my regular barbecue repertoire and I can't wait to try my next one, with some variations on what I did today.
Congrats! Brisket is one of the 'toughest' to do right.

Whole, point, or flat?

Any pics or is it all gone already?
Old 10-10-2015, 04:59 PM   #18371
Give me a forum ...

Played chauffeur.

Drove DW and her sis into the nearby town for fort days. In English it means there is an old fort in town (mostly fake, as the original parts have long ago rotted away) where they do battle re-enactments, but for PC reasons those shot in the mock battles are not allowed to fall down, nor display any fake blood, let alone mock scalpings, as that my upset the sensitivities some folks. Along with the requisite parades through Main street, of any organization that can muster a flag and some marchers. There was about thirty of these outfits.

The real story is many vendors selling stuff to tourists, who arrive in the itty bitty town by the thousands. Immediately after dropping them off I got out of town post haste for coffee to a town about 15 miles away.

On the return the three mile standing traffic backup required me to exercise my local knowledge and take the back roads to get home.

Around 3 PM DW called for my chauffeuring services, I went and picked her and her sis up. Tomorrow the two of them are off for a few days to get pampered at some SPA, my gift to DW, her sis is on her own dime.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:15 PM   #18372

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
Congrats! Brisket is one of the 'toughest' to do right.

Whole, point, or flat?

Any pics or is it all gone already?
Just a small (2.5 lb) flat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0974.jpg (616.6 KB, 25 views)
what did you do today?
Old 10-10-2015, 05:27 PM   #18373
Moderator Emeritus

what did you do today?

Spent most of the afternoon working with CVS to persuade BCBS that it really wasn't too soon for me to get more prescription eyedrops, these being for my second cataract surgery.

Then when paying for my eyedrops, somehow I lost my wallet for the first time in 47 years. Argh. I cancelled what needs to be cancelled and ordered new health insurance cards. Monday I plan to get a new driver's license.

I needed a new driver's license anyway, that says I don't need glasses to drive.

So, that is what I did today.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 10-10-2015, 05:32 PM   #18374

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Just a small (2.5 lb) flat.
Nice!
Old 10-10-2015, 06:19 PM   #18375
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Had to run errands today in the new 3500 dually pickup. It won't fit in a normal parking spot so I was polite and parked on the outer edge of every parking lot so that my taking up two spaces wouldn't inconvenience anyone.

Just got home and some @ss keyed my tailgate! I am so over this town (Vegas). The drivers are dangerous, many people are rude... I'm ready to move on...
Sadly, there are psychopaths like this all over the world, who do this to people who do not cause them any harm. The worst ones become serial murderers, or looters like Bernie Madoff. There is no reason to think that there are more of them in Vegas than elsewhere.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-10-2015, 06:26 PM   #18376
Give me a forum ...

Busy day here too. Did trash and recycling in the morning, took out the rest of the dock and got it put away for the winter.

Also ordered a new car... 2016 Subaru Outback Limited. Ended up at $730 below dealer invoice which I thought was pretty good. I could have saved a little by going with a dealer 2 1/2 hours away but decided to spend the extra $250 to go local. Close enough. Even though I am retired my time is worth something.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 10-10-2015, 06:49 PM   #18377
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Sadly, there are psychopaths like this all over the world, who do this to people who do not cause them any harm. The worst ones become serial murderers, or looters like Bernie Madoff. There is no reason to think that there are more of them in Vegas than elsewhere.
I've never had my car keyed even once here, though! I don't drive a whole lot, true; maybe about 3000-3500 miles per year. Even so, 19 years without being keyed is not bad.

I wonder if keying is more common in some parts of the country than other regions.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 10-10-2015, 07:42 PM   #18378
Give me a forum ...

I have never had my cars scratched once (and I did buy new cars ), but all it takes is for you to cross path with a psychopath once.

I wonder if car-keying risks in an area correlate with other petty property crimes, of which there may be statistics available.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-11-2015, 08:03 AM   #18379

Took some household hazardous waste to the recycling center (very old pesticides, variety of aerosol cans, batteries, ancient anti-freeze) by appointment and proof of city residency, so that freed up a lot of space and worry. Then tried to keep cool during this horrid heat wave of 96F with the AC on. Watched some college football games and then prepped and ate a nice dinner w DW (grilled pork chops, scalloped potatoes and steamed veggies).
Old 10-11-2015, 08:56 AM   #18380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Just got home and some @ss keyed my tailgate! I am so over this town (Vegas). The drivers are dangerous, many people are rude... I'm ready to move on.
DH is out of town at a pickleball tournament. Not going to tell him until he gets home. No point upsetting him.
I'm so sorry this happened to your new vehicle. I wonder why people do this. A group of corvette friends went to an amusement park, parked in a lot where no one else was parked and furthest away from entrance and someone keyed the entire side of 2 of the vettes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Played chauffeur. Drove DW and her sis into the nearby town for fort days. In English it means there is an old fort in town (mostly fake, as the original parts have long ago rotted away) where they do battle re-enactments, but for PC reasons those shot in the mock battles are not allowed to fall down, nor display any fake blood, let alone mock scalpings, as that my upset the sensitivities some folks. Along with the requisite parades through Main street, of any organization that can muster a flag and some marchers.
You gave me a laugh, I mistook fort for fart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
These people are every where. I sometimes wonder if they are jealous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Also ordered a new car... 2016 Subaru Outback Limited. Ended up at $730 below dealer invoice which I thought was pretty good. I could have saved a little by going with a dealer 2 1/2 hours away but decided to spend the extra $250 to go local. Close enough. Even though I am retired my time is worth something.
That is a cool looking vehicle. I looked at it online and like a lot of the options that are offered especially the "Eyesight". Was on the Pennsylvania Turnpike yesterday and saw so many inattentive drivers that could use that feature. We went out to dinner with friends that took their new Ford F150 Platinum that has blind spot detection and it was amazing how well it worked too. Best of luck with your new vehicle.
Closed Thread