Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 07:35 AM   #1821
Dryer sheet aficionado

Yesterday was my first Monday after FIRE. Had this uneasy feeling all day that I should be "doing" something. A retired friend laughed and said she felt that way for a while but the uneasy feeling soon passed.

Practiced piano in the morning, read the paper. Went for a swim in the afternoon (gotta get started on that 15 pounds I need to lose). Picked up some more plants for a few hanging planters. Went to the cheese factory near our house for yummy cheddar. Stopped at the vet's for heartworm medication for the dogs. Booked the Honda for servicing at the dealership next week. Picked up one of the dogs from our friend's place - she was away being shown last weekend. She bounced off the furniture when she got home - Stella is an excitable girl. Made dinner. Quiet evening.

Busy day. Today will be much quieter.

Rob

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2009, 10:05 AM   #1822
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just got out of bed as I woke up from a bad dream.... I was still living with my parents and I kept saying..."I need to get a place of my own."

Old 06-30-2009, 03:07 PM   #1823

DW and I went over to FIL's house to meet with a real estate agent. DW and her sister painted the master bedroom last week. (I was at work.) The house still needs some things done, redo the master bath, replace some siding with holes in it, a couple of areas need caulking and the sagging kitchen counter, although otherwise in good appearance, needs to be propped up. All in all, about 4-5 days of work and $2.5k in expenses. I'm glad to see a light at the end of this tunnel, I'm burned out on working on this guy's house. The things you do for family....

She said a realistic asking price is $289k and expect to sell ~$280. Looking at the comps I agree. In her opinion the market hasn't bottomed out yet because there are a bunch of ARMs that are about to reset and the marginal ones will fold when that happens. So after paying off the small loan on the house, commission, etc. FIL will net ~$240k. That gets him into the retirement community with $100k to spare... assuming there's a buyer out there....

The good news is that houses ARE being bought and sold. Just not at the frenzied rate they were.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:07 PM   #1824
Give me a forum ...

Watched it rain all AM and a pretty serious thunderstorm cell just barely avoid my house. Still raining.
Surfed.
Did 2 loads of laundry.
Yawned.

Winding down the afternoon...almost time to log off.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:43 PM   #1825
Full time employment: Posting here.

Went for hypnosis.
Deposited money at the credit union.
Bought some summer clothes and had lunch with a friend.
Napped.
Meeting.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:44 PM   #1826
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
Went for hypnosis.
Napped.
Hey, it worked!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 06-30-2009, 08:13 PM   #1827
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Went for hypnosis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Hey, it worked!
What worked? And why am I getting veeeerrrrry sleepy?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:29 PM   #1828
Moderator Emeritus

Why am I howling at the moon?
Old 07-01-2009, 11:38 AM   #1829
Full time employment: Posting here.

No howling at the moon!
I am going to quit smoking.....quit day is July 4th.....I am excited.
Doing laundry.
Have two clients for massage.
Then off to do clinics at school.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:39 AM   #1830
Give me a forum ...

Well, so far....

On call overnight till 0800h. Called at 0020, 0100, 0210, 0400......finally, slept till 0930h when the phone rang with an invite to a Canada Day party at the lake. Woo Hoo! Time to celebrate!

Next task: iron red Tshirt and white pants!

Old 07-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #1831
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
No howling at the moon!
I am going to quit smoking.....quit day is July 4th.....I am excited.
Quitting on smoking and you are excited......? IŽm sure youŽll quit but donŽt expect too much excitement
Old 07-01-2009, 12:10 PM   #1832
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Well, so far....

On call overnight till 0800h. Called at 0020, 0100, 0210, 0400......finally, slept till 0930h when the phone rang with an invite to a Canada Day party at the lake. Woo Hoo! Time to celebrate!

Next task: iron red Tshirt and white pants!

Boy , do I remember those days . I'd be so tired I'd start seeing things on the drive home . What I find amusing is after all the hours and sleepless nights we medical people put in we do not find our jobs as distasteful as most of the cubicle workers on the board .
Old 07-01-2009, 03:35 PM   #1833
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Boy , do I remember those days . I'd be so tired I'd start seeing things on the drive home . What I find amusing is after all the hours and sleepless nights we medical people put in we do not find our jobs as distasteful as most of the cubicle workers on the board .
Adrenaline rush? I loved one of my j*bs which had massive overtime but interesting w*rk. I still look back fondly on that j*b.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:39 PM   #1834

Today I took the echography. Tomorrow the blood test. Fun Fun Fun!
Old 07-01-2009, 03:52 PM   #1835

Rebuilt potable water pump of my Argosy trailer, which just happened to croak 5 mintes after I set up camp last Monday.

Goofed off the rest of the day. Going out to dinner with DW and her daughter. Darn I'll be outnumbered.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:52 PM   #1836
Recycles dryer sheets

My first day of retirement. At this point, frankly, it just feels like a vacation day. I know that will pass.

I spent most of yesterday wiping the disk drive on my laptop and sending all my tools and test equipment in to the mother ship. We had a very nice celebratory dinner followed by champagne and Marillenlikor.

I woke up at 5 AM and read the forums until my DW woke up. Read the paper, did 2 crossword puzzles, and surfed the net for a bit. Went for a bike ride, cooled off and washed both cars.

DW and I went to the local farm and ranch store so I could pick up some leather cleaner and conditioner and she could look for cowboys in Lee Jeans. I found what I was looking for. There were slim pickings for DW.

Several years ago, I found 2 dollars in a parking lot. I threw it in the console of my company van and planned to blow it on 2 lottery tickets. Today, after finding the money again, we finally bought our tickets. Woohoo! our retirement is about to be adequately funded!

Came home and nodded off reading the forums. I woke up with my DW standing next to me laughing her a*s off.

Definitely more information than you wanted, but it is my first day.

I love the concept of not having to accede to someone else's schedule.

Larry
Old 07-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #1837
Give me a forum ...

Chinese buffet day with former co-w*rkers. A woman who got transferred involuntarily downstate served us her completely shoddy attitude for dessert. Listening to her made me really appreciate FIRE to the nth degree.
Watched more ugly thunderheads develop, but it all went north of me again.
Watching "How It's Made" featuring cold cuts, deli meats, and whole turkey breast. A new product called "Tofurky" is being explained now.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:22 PM   #1838
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Hunting and gathering at the local Farmers Market, ~$43.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:02 PM   #1839

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoftyNotions View Post
My first day of retirement. At this point, frankly, it just feels like a vacation day. I know that will pass.

I spent most of yesterday wiping the disk drive on my laptop and sending all my tools and test equipment in to the mother ship. We had a very nice celebratory dinner followed by champagne and Marillenlikor.

I woke up at 5 AM and read the forums until my DW woke up. Read the paper, did 2 crossword puzzles, and surfed the net for a bit. Went for a bike ride, cooled off and washed both cars.

DW and I went to the local farm and ranch store so I could pick up some leather cleaner and conditioner and she could look for cowboys in Lee Jeans. I found what I was looking for. There were slim pickings for DW.

Several years ago, I found 2 dollars in a parking lot. I threw it in the console of my company van and planned to blow it on 2 lottery tickets. Today, after finding the money again, we finally bought our tickets. Woohoo! our retirement is about to be adequately funded!

Came home and nodded off reading the forums. I woke up with my DW standing next to me laughing her a*s off.

Definitely more information than you wanted, but it is my first day.

I love the concept of not having to accede to someone else's schedule.

Larry
I used to say it feels more like a three-day weekend than a vacation. That's because we usually scheduled something for vactions, but not for three day weekends.

I can still recall doing some yard work in the afternoon a few days after I retired and automatically hurrying so I could get to the "yard waste disposal site" before calling it a day. When I realized what I was doing, I told myself that anything that didn't get done today could be done tomorrow. And, if I didn't finish tomorrow, I still had another free day after that, and after that ....

Then I exhaled.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:47 PM   #1840
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoftyNotions View Post

Larry

Congratulations but dump the 5 AM wake up .