Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 08:48 AM   #18401
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yesterday did bills, cleaned up around the house, put up the Halloween decorations (our neighborhood still has a good number of little kids and lots of houses still band together to put up the decorations), made dinner, then went to a beginner animal tracking class so I can become a volunteer for surveys and work my way up to be certified.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2015, 09:25 AM   #18402
Administrator

I had the cataract removed from my right eye, so now they are both done. The surgery went well, and everything is good. I should have had this done years ago.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-15-2015, 10:51 AM   #18403
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I had the cataract removed from my right eye, so now they are both done. The surgery went well, and everything is good. I should have had this done years ago.
Great! Hope all went well with the second eye!
Old 10-15-2015, 04:26 PM   #18404

Finished another novel from the library, will have to stop by there and pick up some more tomorrow.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:38 PM   #18405
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Spent most of the day listening to a new audiobook of Vogon poetry readings.

You probably shouldn't look for me here tomorrow.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:46 PM   #18406
Moderator Emeritus

Activated my new replacement Fitbit (lost the first one).

Did some walking, cleaned workbench, walked the dog, balanced the checkbook, spent time here. Basically, just took it as it came.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:51 AM   #18407
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I are at the beach with two of my sons. We are about to go on a dolphin cruise then we will watch UM destroy their little brother (msu) @ 3:30! A seafood dinner then a walk on the beach with my family?

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-17-2015, 11:32 AM   #18408
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Went for a drive around the country side to see how harvest is going. It's just about finished; the last two crops (corn and sunflowers) are underway and will probably be finished by end of next week.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:43 PM   #18409
Administrator

Changed the oil and transmission fluid in my car and rotated the tires this morning. Then went to lunch with the young wife. Painted my newly installed porch step when I got home.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:56 PM   #18410
Recycles dryer sheets

Went new car shopping. Actually Jeep shopping - found the one I really liked at the 5th dealership visited over the last week, had been pre-approved through our credit union, credit score near the top. Salesman handed me the numbers and I just didn't want to part with my money bad enough. Walked away.

I feel better now! Like DW says, I got it out of my system.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:20 PM   #18411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
Went new car shopping. Actually Jeep shopping - found the one I really liked at the 5th dealership visited over the last week, had been pre-approved through our credit union, credit score near the top. Salesman handed me the numbers and I just didn't want to part with my money bad enough. Walked away.

I feel better now! Like DW says, I got it out of my system.
I bought a new Jeep in 2013. (Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon) It cost a lot of money, but I needed something that would be dependable in the mountain back country all year around. It has worked great for me.

Oh, and BTW, its a lot of fun on the 4WD trails. Sometimes, ya just gotta figure you can't take it with ya!
Old 10-17-2015, 07:54 PM   #18412
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman59 View Post
We are about to go on a dolphin cruise then we will watch UM destroy their little brother (msu)
How did that work out for you did you say something about karma
Old 10-18-2015, 05:29 AM   #18413
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Spent most of the day listening to a new audiobook of Vogon poetry readings.

You probably shouldn't look for me here tomorrow.
+1
Old 10-18-2015, 05:31 AM   #18414
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
plus tossed together semi-vegetarian sloppy joes for dinner

Semi-vegetarian?!?!
Old 10-18-2015, 10:10 AM   #18415
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucantes View Post

Semi-vegetarian?!?!
Half the meat was replaced with chickpea, so definitely an in-the-middle dish sure to annoy meat eaters and vegetarians alike.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:11 PM   #18416

Yesterday we went to a small zoo in Rising Sun, MD (I'd never heard of it either) with DW and assorted other family for her grandniece's 6th birthday party, delayed one week for weather. This involved a bit over two hours drive time each way for us, but we had a good time. I grossly underdressed for the 50 day with overcast and most of the time spent in the shade and by the end of the day was thoroughly chilled.

Today we just went to the gym and came back home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zoo_visit-14.jpg (255.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg zoo_visit-15.jpg (189.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg zoo_visit-12.jpg (202.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg zoo_visit-17.jpg (133.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 10-18-2015, 01:46 PM   #18417
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yesterday I went on a full day beginner animal tracking class taught by the San Diego Tracking Team.

We went to a section off near Poway under some overpass bridges bordering the Penasquitos Creek watershed where lots of critters roam.

We spent the day crouching looking at animal tracks: woodrat, possum, raccoon, squirrel, snake, rabbit, dear, bobcat and even some insects that the instructors threw at us to confuse us (but all in fun).

VERY interesting. Now that I've completed the beginner class I can now go on their 'transects' for actual data survey collection in different SD areas.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:31 PM   #18418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Yesterday we went to a small zoo in Rising Sun, MD (I'd never heard of it either) with DW and assorted other family for her grandniece's 6th birthday party, delayed one week for weather. This involved a bit over two hours drive time each way for us, but we had a good time. I grossly underdressed for the 50 day with overcast and most of the time spent in the shade and by the end of the day was thoroughly chilled.

Today we just went to the gym and came back home.
We have such changeable Spring/Fall weather here that I have a small bag in the trunk with socks/long sleeved shirts/old windbreakers for the 2 of us...in todays world just about everyone has a set of spare clothes. These outfits have saved me more then once!
Old 10-18-2015, 02:36 PM   #18419
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I bought a new Jeep in 2013. (Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon) It cost a lot of money, but I needed something that would be dependable in the mountain back country all year around. It has worked great for me.

Oh, and BTW, its a lot of fun on the 4WD trails. Sometimes, ya just gotta figure you can't take it with ya!
I was smitten by a Renegade Trailhawk, like the size, fuel mileage, and of course optioned up a bit to make it more suitable to our tastes. Decided to just keep tabs on incentives for now, and be prepared to deal if the stars align, but I don't think deals the likes of what I expect will ever become available. Under different circumstances it might be a better fit, but for now it just isn't far enough along on the want/need scale. Sweet little thing though, not sure if it is more Americanized Fiat, or Italianized Jeep?
Old 10-18-2015, 03:31 PM   #18420
Administrator

Today, my church choir performed Franz Biebl's Ave Maria/Angelus Domini. I sang all three solos, and was one of the antiphonal trio. Edit to add: This is not my choir, just an example of the music (and a darned good one).