Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 03:38 PM   #18421

Just... Wow.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2015, 03:47 PM   #18422
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Just... Wow.
Amazing music! Gumby, what an experience that must have been.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-18-2015, 03:53 PM   #18423
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Amazing music! Gumby, what an experience that must have been.
Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-18-2015, 05:29 PM   #18424
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Amazing! Great job. I'd kill to be able to sing that well.

Edit: hmmm...that wasn't your choir, was it? If it was recorded, maybe you can post it. Still an beautiful piece of music.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:02 PM   #18425
Administrator

No, not my choir. It is just the video I used to perfect the solo parts. But it is beautiful music no matter who sings it.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:40 PM   #18426
Give me a forum ...

Our weekend events were going out for Mexican food, seeing a Dickens play one evening and a modern dance performance another. We'd never been to the theater the dance performance was in before. It's a movie palace type theater from 1927 that has been restored to modern day standards so it an attractive venue.

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 10-18-2015, 10:46 PM   #18427
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
an in-the-middle dish sure to annoy meat eaters and vegetarians alike.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:06 AM   #18428
Administrator

Today I got my first Louisiana driver's license with no vision restriction, thanks to my recent cataract surgery. The vision test was a snap.

Then I came home to find both my chip-and-pin debit MasterCard and my replacement BCBS card in my mailbox. That's nearly all the cards I needed to replace those in the wallet I lost last Sunday.

Tomorrow, Amazon will deliver a new wallet, too.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-20-2015, 07:57 AM   #18429
Recycles dryer sheets

Our last training hike, hooray, for our upcoming Grand Canyon backpack. We've been quite diligent in our training, with the hope we'll be conditioned enough to enjoy the scenery as we go, rather than simply suffering from the weight of our packs.

A late afternoon photography class after that, followed by dinner at home. I plan to spend the evening reading in bed, though after our morning hike I'll likely be so tired I won't get through more than a few pages before falling asleep.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:44 AM   #18430
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
Our last training hike, hooray, for our upcoming Grand Canyon backpack. We've been quite diligent in our training, with the hope we'll be conditioned enough to enjoy the scenery as we go, rather than simply suffering from the weight of our packs.

A late afternoon photography class after that, followed by dinner at home. I plan to spend the evening reading in bed, though after our morning hike I'll likely be so tired I won't get through more than a few pages before falling asleep.
You are going to be blown away by the GC - esp since you will be packing in for an up close experience.

I hope your conditioning included uphill hikes.

The hike into and along the bottom are not so bad, the hike out and up is what tests a lot of folks.

Be sure to snap a couple of pictures to share when you get back!
Old 10-20-2015, 08:48 AM   #18431
Give me a forum ...

Yes, that is the bear of the GC compared to conventional day hikes.... the toughest part (uphill) is at the end of the day when you are worn out.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:55 AM   #18432
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Yes, that is the bear of the GC compared to conventional day hikes.... the toughest part (uphill) is at the end of the day when you are worn out.
Our hike out occurs on Days 6 and 7, so it will be spread out. Additionally, we'll be down considerably in backpack weight, having eaten through the food for days 1 -5. We should also be feeling pretty strong by then, with five days of backpacking under out belts.

That's the plan anyway!

(I should mention we spent 10 days hiking over 100 miles in the Swiss Alps a couple of years ago, which involved daily elevation gains of many thousands of feet at high altitude. In that we stay lower than 5000 feet in the Grand Canyon, we're feeling pretty good at this point.)
Old 10-20-2015, 10:08 AM   #18433

Gumby - amazing music, that's one I haven't heard before. Also neat that it's a virtual choir - not easy to pull that off! The college choral group I sing with started rehearsals of Bach's Christmas Oratorio last night - very happy that I learned German when we lived there in the 90's.

Elizabeth - have a wonderful hike and post some pictures. DH and I did the GC hike back in the 80s. I actually found the hike down harder than back up - it got hotter as we went down and my knees didn't like the slope. Going up, the trick for me was to walk slower than usual and take frequent breaks. Enjoy!

I'm headed out to get my flu shot and shingles shot (friend recently had shingles and highly recommends the shot) then grocery shopping. Dentist this afternoon (cleaning and checkup) and a church endowment meeting this evening. Hope to fit in a few fall house chores as well.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:39 AM   #18434

Drove down to the Knoxville area for a wedding. Very nice area, we'd driven through but never explored. The wedding and reception were in the Smokie Mountains, just outside Knoxville, an absolutely beautiful area. Someone looking to "get away from it all" would be happy there.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:19 PM   #18435
Recycles dryer sheets

Gym day...as most of my FIRE days are.

In a few days I embark on my most extended "snowbird" stint...a month a half on the southern tip of the Baja. Skies have become grey, the weather drizzly, as it is want to do here in the PNW and I am ready for some warmth.

Extended warm weather Fall/Winter escapes were always a motivating factor which helped keep me on the FIRE path. I am so excited to start reaping what I worked so damn hard to sow.

It will be interesting to see the reactions of my Mexican contingent of friends to the 50 pounds-lighter version of me at the beach or pool.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:22 PM   #18436

After 2 weeks of solid house maintenance tasks - I spent today hiking in the woods. A perfect day.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:43 PM   #18437

After walking the dog on the beach (I know - that's something I mention almost every time) I sat down and looked at all things money.

- I paid our property taxes.
- I did our monthly transfer to the kids 529s.
- I transferred money to/from various accounts to make sure all bills would be covered.
- I got sucked into the updated Fidelity RIP tool after reading a thread here... that was several hours of tweaking/playing around with it to get changing expenses (kid dependent) modeled correctly.
- Had a talk with DH about our finances... he's mostly abdicated all things money to me... but I like to apprise him of our spending & expenses plus the values of our accounts periodically.

Oh - and I did some laundry in there and schlepped the kids to/fro...
Old 10-21-2015, 06:50 PM   #18438
Give me a forum ...

Since the doc told me a couple of weeks ago that I was heading toward a hip replacement, I called an old friend who had that done a few years ago. It was almost comical, since I opened the conversation by asking how he was, and he replied "Well, not bad except I'm getting ready to have my other hip replaced."

My response was "Exactly what I'm calling about."

Anyway, he gave me some good perspectives and filled in some missing information for me. One thing he said, which I've heard from others as well, is "Don't wait too long. I wish I had made the decision sooner."

Still not sure when I'll do it, but almost certainly within the next 12 months. The more I learn about it, the less I worry.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:12 PM   #18439
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Since the doc told me a couple of weeks ago that I was heading toward a hip replacement, I called an old friend who had that done a few years ago. It was almost comical, since I opened the conversation by asking how he was, and he replied "Well, not bad except I'm getting ready to have my other hip replaced."

My response was "Exactly what I'm calling about."

Anyway, he gave me some good perspectives and filled in some missing information for me. One thing he said, which I've heard from others as well, is "Don't wait too long. I wish I had made the decision sooner."

Still not sure when I'll do it, but almost certainly within the next 12 months. The more I learn about it, the less I worry.
Mike (HaHa) and I each had a hip replacement done within the last few years. May I suggest you look into the "anterior procedure" as a way to have the surgery. It's minimally invasive with a very short recovery time.

I used this surgeon and procedure:

Anterior Total Hip Replacement Video - Minimally Invasive Hip Arthritis Surgery, Houston Texas
Old 10-21-2015, 07:31 PM   #18440
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
Gym day...as most of my FIRE days are.

In a few days I embark on my most extended "snowbird" stint...a month a half on the southern tip of the Baja. Skies have become grey, the weather drizzly, as it is want to do here in the PNW and I am ready for some warmth.

Extended warm weather Fall/Winter escapes were always a motivating factor which helped keep me on the FIRE path. I am so excited to start reaping what I worked so damn hard to sow.

It will be interesting to see the reactions of my Mexican contingent of friends to the 50 pounds-lighter version of me at the beach or pool.
Congratulations, I'm guessing they will notice!