Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 01:45 PM   #18481
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
Finished putting my garden to bed for the season before I am Baja-bound...which meant gathering fallen leaves (mostly maple) and covering all my vegetable beds with about a 6 inch layer of them. Also planted some garlic and covered them with leaves too. The idea is that over winter the leaves will prevent the PNW rains from robbing the soil of nutrients and the decomposing leaves will in turn provide the soil with lots of organic matter come Spring.

I do the same with my garlic and leaves.

Carved pumpkins Tuesday night and toasted pumpkin seeds.This AM I went shopping and then started crock pot chili. Also took the pumpkin pulp, cooked it, made curried pumpkin white bean peanut butter soup. Goofing off online now, then swimming.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2015, 05:55 PM   #18482
Full time employment: Posting here.

San Diego has been getting some high tidal surges along with high surf.

So, I went down to La Jolla Cove to check it out today.

Pretty impressive - when the big waves hit the cliffs, you could feel the 'thump' and it sounded like canon fire.

Got some decent shots

Old 10-29-2015, 08:24 PM   #18483
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
Threw away about 75 pounds of old magazines. Mostly sports illustrated from the 70's & early 80's
I hope that you at least kept the annual swimsuit issues.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:57 PM   #18484

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
San Diego has been getting some high tidal surges along with high surf.

So, I went down to La Jolla Cove to check it out today.

Pretty impressive - when the big waves hit the cliffs, you could feel the 'thump' and it sounded like canon fire.

Got some decent shots

The seals seem to be saying "meh" to the big waves. FWIW - I was married about a 1/4 mile south from the childrens pool (aka seal beach). I love that stretch of coast.

... My day. Busier than I prefer. Up early, but DH took the kids to the bus stop so I took the dog on a local walk (vs beach) and then worked out on the elliptical. After a shower I headed to Costco for gas and groceries... got home and stowed the groceries then it was off to lunch with a former coworker. Got home just in time to head out to get the boys from school. Dropped younger son off then took older son to the dentist to get some fillings. Thank goodness DH made dinner.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:09 PM   #18485
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
A bowtie is not just dressier, but a necktie ruins the whole thing in my view.
Plus,

Old 10-29-2015, 09:51 PM   #18486
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Sunday, I found one of our cats had died. He was 12 years old and we thought that he was our healthiest cat.
We lost 3 cats in our years together. We only had one cat at a time. The first one was an orange tabby outdoor cat. One day, he never came back, and we never knew what happened to him. So, we pledged to keep our future cats indoors.

Our 2nd cat was a sweet white cat with blue eyes. She was not deaf as many white cats are, and always came when called. She suffered from kidney failure at a young age of 12, and it broke our heart having to end her misery.

Our 3rd and latest cat, a calico, suffered from an unknown disease, and we were still working with a vet to diagnose when she died of a violent death. And we happened to be home to witness the seizure right before death. Again, it was heart breaking.

My wife says she will not have any more pet. It's too sad to see them go.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:13 PM   #18487
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Bow ties are definitely cool. I discovered this late in life, but better late than never.

Now, look at the photos below. I prefer a smaller tie to the big one. What is the preference of the gentlemen (and ladies) of this forum?
I prefer the big bow tie because it looks like an authentic piece of fabric. The small bow tie looks too perfectly shaped to have been tied by hand, and has dots which I think make it look too "twee".

The shirts are different too. The top one has a wingtip collar, which I think some men might feel awkward wearing. But if the wearers are comfortable wearing it, why not?
Old 10-30-2015, 01:19 AM   #18488
Give me a forum ...

Tonight went to see a performance of Opus by Cira - a contemporary circus with 14 acrobats and a string quartet:

https://vimeo.com/69438521
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 10-30-2015, 09:56 AM   #18489
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I prefer the big bow tie because it looks like an authentic piece of fabric. The small bow tie looks too perfectly shaped to have been tied by hand, and has dots which I think make it look too "twee".

The shirts are different too. The top one has a wingtip collar, which I think some men might feel awkward wearing. But if the wearers are comfortable wearing it, why not?
I deleted my post with the photos because I realized that I was getting carried away on this subject, still excited about my daughter's wedding. But with my post gone, your response was left hanging there. Hence, this post now.

I was asking for opinions on the preference of a smaller tie vs a larger one. I like the smaller size myself, as the larger one looks dominant on the wearer's throat. And I should have used better photos to ask for a comparison, because I agree with you that the design with dots is certainly not appropriate for a formal attire.

Well, enough about bow ties for now.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:00 AM   #18490
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I deleted my post with the photos because I realized that I was getting carried away on this subject, still excited about my daughter's wedding. But with my post gone, your response was left hanging there. Hence, this post now.

I was asking for opinions on the preference of a smaller tie vs a larger one. I like the smaller one myself. And I should have used better photos to ask for a comparison, because I agree with you that the design with dots is certainly not appropriate for a formal attire.

Well, enough about bow ties for now.
We had a fashion discussion. Perfectly legitimate use of ER time!
Old 10-30-2015, 11:38 AM   #18491
Give me a forum ...

Now that my daughter's wedding is a week past and all that remains is just memory, I am fading back into the normal life. It's back to shorts and T-shirts for me.

But there's some residual effect. This morning, going for a walk around the block with my wife, I checked to make sure that the T-shirt I put on was relatively new and not too faded or got holes (but the older thin T-shirts are so comfy!). Perhaps I will even start to wear my polo shirts more often.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:49 AM   #18492
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
We had a fashion discussion. Perfectly legitimate use of ER time!
Some days being in a fashion discussion on e-r.org might be my most productive activity of the day.

Share away the details of your daughter's wedding NW-bound. It is a big life event. We're excited for you.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 10-30-2015, 03:49 PM   #18493

Finally finished unpacking CDs, DVDs, and books.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg books.jpg (57.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 10-30-2015, 03:55 PM   #18494

Dropped off a return package at UPS for DW. A jacket she'd ordered had a non-functional zipper.

Gym, hour and 15 minute workout.

Returned some books to the library, checked out four more.

Light grocery run.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:47 PM   #18495
Administrator

So much rain is predicted for tomorrow night here, that local officials are urging families to do their trick-or-treating tonight instead of tomorrow. So, I updated my avatar to a scary one for Hallowe'en.

Having been a kid myself at one time, I predict that instead of obediantly going out tonight instead of tomorrow night, at least some local kids will be out trick-or-treating BOTH nights. ("Let's have Hallowe'en twice and get twice the candy!! Oh goodie!" ). We'll see.

Other than that, went to another post-operative checkup with my ophthalmologist. All is well.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-30-2015, 06:16 PM   #18496
Full time employment: Posting here.

Usual morning routine (fix lunch for DS, coffee, some internet time), but then dashed off to meet the San Diego Tracking Team for my first volunteer tracking survey at Iron Mountain.

Watched the sun come up over the mountain in the pleasant crisp cool morning air.

Spent 4 hrs on the survey looking, analyzing, and documenting tracks for rabbit, woodrat, coyote, bobcat, kangaroo rat, squirrel, deer, and various bird. I'm logging more 'dirt time' in identifying tracks and what they mean.

We also did see some Coopers hawk, some rabbit, bird, and a large roadrunner.

I met some new people and look forward to more such surveys!

Did some errands on the way home, picked up some groceries for the weekend.

Now just chilling before DW comes home with some pizza - got the wine cooling now.

DS is off to the high school football game after work -so we have the evening to ourselves.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:46 PM   #18497
Give me a forum ...

We took a road trip to the closest Fresh and Easy store. They are all closing now so we stocked up on wine and some of the other closeout deals.

Later on we took the dog for a walk at a park with some pretty mountain views, gardens, fountains and a small lake. We like to just sit in the garden near a stream with a little waterfall and enjoy the views.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:00 AM   #18498
Give me a forum ...

When I weighed this morning the scale said I have made my goal! Six months and fifty+ pounds are gone. Obese to having a normal BMI in that time frame. I was taking medicine for tachycardia, hypertension, triglycerides, GERD, insomnia; now I take nothing and all symptoms are gone, all my numbers are great. BP runs right at 110/70, in May my average resting heartrate was 96 BPM, this October it's 71! Oh I don't snore anymore, neither does DW.

I feel amazing, things I couldn't do or struggled to do are now easy. My mood is better, I have more energy than I've had in 31 years! What a great adventure this is.

Food tastes so much better and we're both enjoying trying new foods all the time. My DW who hated all vegetables now thinks Brussels sprouts are wonderful.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:24 AM   #18499

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
When I weighed this morning the scale said I have made my goal! Six months and fifty+ pounds are gone. Obese to having a normal BMI in that time frame. I was taking medicine for tachycardia, hypertension, triglycerides, GERD, insomnia; now I take nothing and all symptoms are gone, all my numbers are great. BP runs right at 110/70, in May my average resting heartrate was 96 BPM, this October it's 71! Oh I don't snore anymore, neither does DW.

I feel amazing, things I couldn't do or struggled to do are now easy. My mood is better, I have more energy than I've had in 31 years! What a great adventure this is.

Food tastes so much better and we're both enjoying trying new foods all the time. My DW who hated all vegetables now thinks Brussels sprouts are wonderful.
Congratulations! You are doing great and imagine how wonderful retirement will be now.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:44 AM   #18500
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post

And even more congrats!

I've found that shedding weight in ER doesn't seem to take as much effort, no longer dealing with the demonic stress levels (insert workplace images of Halloween monsters here) helps quite a bit. Have a ways to go yet, but have already noticed much improved BP and heart rate as well although doc hasn't yet given me a reprieve on the meds. Maybe at my next checkup. Same goes for enjoyment of food, flavors are now much more appreciated over quantities. Last time we went out to eat, DW ordered a 9oz tenderloin and I got a 16 oz ribeye. Brought the leftovers home and we had enough for 3 more satisfying meals each!