Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 09:26 PM   #18541
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Not at all! I'm glad, and you sound much happier than you did in your former life.

In my amateur cheesemaking hobby, I used to buy milk from a local woman who raised goats. Unfortunately, she quit selling the milk to people like me because she kept needing more of it for her own side business of making soap with it. So there is obviously considerable demand. Best of luck with it!
No wukkies.

I am working on perfecting at least one beer soap, which I am pretty sure will be a good seller.

- Will Rogers
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2015, 09:51 PM   #18542
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
The Hundred Foot Journey was a great movie. I also recommend Chef starring Jon Favreau.
I think I am the only person who just could not get into Chef. Maybe I should watch it again now that it is on Netflix, I believe someone mentioned.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:12 AM   #18543
Recycles dryer sheets

Drove 500 miles home from an utterly amazing week of backpacking in Grand Canyon National Park. We covered over 50 miles in addition to the 5,000 foot each descent and ascent. It was very, very challenging, but we were well prepared physically, so we were able to enjoy each and every moment. This adventure is something we will never, ever forget, particularly when we summited at the end of the trip and realized we were done(!).

Spent the afternoon putting stuff away, drying stuff out, washing dirty (oh so dirty!) clothes. Dinner was homemade pumpkin mushroom lasagne taken from the freezer. In bed and sound asleep before 8:00 PM.

Below is my favorite overnight spot from the trip - atop Yuma Point, at @5,200 feet, looking out over the canyon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grand Canyon-16.jpg (268.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 11-02-2015, 10:26 AM   #18544

Gumby - Thanks for the compliment on our choir. It's amazing what a great director can do with a bunch of mostly average singers - he's been with us 15 years and we are a completely different choir than when he started. Not looking forward to his retirement in the next few years (he's 70 - this was his 2nd career after being a choir director in public schools first).

Elizabeth - Glad you are back and had such a wonderful trip. Awesome photo!

Today we're having our handyman friend come by for a list of projects that have been piling up. I've got yoga at lunchtime and then I might take DH down to the adaptive gym. Taking care of some errands also. Choir practice with my 2nd choir this evening. A nice ER day.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:52 PM   #18545
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
We took a road trip to the closest Fresh and Easy store. They are all closing now so we stocked up on wine and some of the other closeout deals...
Last time they closed only some of the stores, we went to take a look at one nearest us, and got quite a few bricks of Kerrygold cheese, my favorite, at 40% off.

This time, going a few more miles to a further remaining store, we did not find much to buy. The cheese was all gone already at 10% off. There was plenty of wine left, but even at 30% off the price of a bottle I often drink was still higher compared to the price at Total Wine.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:27 PM   #18546
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Welcome back, Retire2013. So sorry for your loss. Sounds like you are doing very well with this next phase of your life after a lot of changes. Hope to see you around here more now that things have settled down a bit.

The dog didn't figure out the end of DST so we had our morning walk very early today. Took down the Halloween decorations and put up the "fall" wreaths. I only decorate from mid-October through Epiphany - a witch windsock and fake pumpkin for Halloween, wreaths with fake fall leaves, pumpkins, and pinecones through Thanksgiving, and a lighted tree plus a few wreaths for Christmas. The rest of the year our house is stark nekkid.

Off to church and then preparing for our choral evensong service tonight - always one of my favorites. This year it is almost all a capella as we are prepping music for our choir's performance tour to Vienna, Salzburg, and Prague next summer and we need to be prepared to perform without piano or organ. My favorite piece is a new one for us:

but we're also doing classics like Randall Thompson's Alleluia and John Rutter's A Gaelic Blessing.
Thank you MBAustin. Sounds like YOU are having a wonderful time in ER
Old 11-02-2015, 03:44 PM   #18547

Went to an outlet mall with DW. She needed some new shoes and has been bugging me to get new jeans, even though the holes are only little ones or wear that will someday be a hole. Fortunately I had looked online at prices and the outlet mall was more than the online prices. And there's no way nohow I am paying $40 for a pair of jeans!

We saw some others that were preworn and pretorn and they had bigger holes than the ones in my jeans so I told DW I'm just about to get in style. She didn't buy it.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:32 PM   #18548
Full time employment: Posting here.

Canned a batch of apple pie filling. I've been working on perfecting my pie crusts, and with the apples ready to pour into the crust I will be able to make an apple pie pretty quickly.

I went for a run at a local park this afternoon. It sure is nice to run when I want, not when I can fit it in around w*rk.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:33 PM   #18549
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Went off island to the DMV, and now have a Florida driver's license.

Have a contract on house in Ohio. Will be driving up next week to sign stuff and decide what to give away and what to bring back.

Any advice on setting up a smartphone as a wifi hotspot?
Old 11-02-2015, 05:35 PM   #18550

Did some morning bill paying and finance tracking, then an extended hike in the open space preserve for some cardio.

Back home for a light snack for lunch, then took down and boxed up the Halloween decorations.

Going to start prepping for dinner - spaghetti with some sourdough slices brushed with olive oil and garlic.

Then relax and watch the Monday night game.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:28 PM   #18551
Moderator Emeritus

Met three Forum members for lunch today (Alan, LOL, 2B) at Goose's Acre in The Woodlands, TX. We had a great time!

The Gooses Acre Bistro and Irish Pub - 21 Waterway, The Woodlands, Texas
Old 11-02-2015, 07:32 PM   #18552
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Finished a solar heating setup for my camp's bathroom. Typically the toilet drain line would freeze up by late December, thus I become outgoing for the freeze duration.

Rough calculation indicates a good chance of keeping it at least 15 to 20 F above freezing with heat storage in about 25 gallons of water for multiple cloudy days.

In theory it works, February being the worst month for insolation, will be the proof.

Don't really feel like messing with composting toilet, but will make one up as an experimental backup. Store bought types are hideously expensive. Also don't feel like running the generator for an incinerator type toilet. Besides they are bloody expensive.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:02 PM   #18553
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Last time they closed only some of the stores, we went to take a look at one nearest us, and got quite a few bricks of Kerrygold cheese, my favorite, at 40% off.

This time, going a few more miles to a further remaining store, we did not find much to buy. The cheese was all gone already at 10% off. There was plenty of wine left, but even at 30% off the price of a bottle I often drink was still higher compared to the price at Total Wine.
We didn't get as many bargains this time either. Last time the whole F&E store by us was 50% off everything, including wine and beer so we really stocked up. We don't have a Total Wine in our area, but many of the closeout prices at the F&E we went to last week were still more than Grocery Outlet's every day prices, so it wasn't as good of a bargain trip as last time.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 11-02-2015, 08:13 PM   #18554
Give me a forum ...

We drove into San Francisco last night for a show at a comedy club. The show wasn't the funniest we've ever been to but was a pretty drive into the city with the bridges and skyscrapers lit up and a nice date night. Today we saw The Martian in 3D.

When we got home we had to take in the Chinese lanterns and prepare the backyard for a rain storm. It is pretty exciting here getting rain these days.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 11-02-2015, 08:19 PM   #18555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post

Have a contract on house in Ohio. Will be driving up next week to sign stuff and decide what to give away and what to bring back.

On an iPhone, it's very easy. Under "Settings" select "Personal Hotspot". The first time in, you have to set a WiFi password. When activated, other devices will see "Khan's iPhone" as an available wifi network. Log in just like any other wifi.

If you don't have an iPhone, there's probably a similar method.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:39 PM   #18556
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Did you use the regular eye test machine, or the "special" one? When DW and I went in for ours, we took our eye tests and passed easily. Then a woman went after us and couldn't read the letters with 3 tries. So they took her to another machine, where she passed. I can only assume the letters in that one were about 3 feet tall. Ah, Florida drivers!

Quote:
Depends on the phone. On my Samsung Galaxy you go to Apps, then Settings, Wireless and Networking, Tethering and Portable Hotspot. Then go through the setup process. It's pretty easy.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:40 PM   #18557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Went to see Burnt, where Bradley Cooper plays a chef arising from the ashes of a meltdown to pursue three Michelin stars. Great actors, ridiculous story--maybe the good stuff got edited out. My favorite haute cuisine movie remains The Hundred-Foot Journey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
The Hundred Foot Journey was a great movie. I also recommend Chef starring Jon Favreau.
I liked Chef. But it was nothing compared to my two favorite cooking movies:
- Babette's Feast
- Big Night Out

Both inspired me to get more into cooking.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:43 PM   #18558

Walked on the beach, did some housework, coached FLL robotics (qualifying tournament is in less than 2 weeks - I'm in full panic mode trying to get these 12 year old boys to get stuff done!!!)

Now I'm relaxing before tomorrow - which is basically a repeat of today except the robotics team is going on a field trip to share their "solution". Oh - and have a tricky timing handoff of my other son to my husband for his dental appt... Hard to be 2 places at once.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:46 PM   #18559
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I liked Chef. But it was nothing compared to my two favorite cooking movies:
- Babette's Feast
- Big Night Out

Both inspired me to get more into cooking.
I had forgotten about Babette's Feast. It also was a great movie; one that made me very hungry. I've never seen Big Night Out.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:34 PM   #18560

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Met three Forum members for lunch today (Alan, LOL, 2B) at Goose's Acre in The Woodlands, TX. We had a great time!

The Gooses Acre Bistro and Irish Pub - 21 Waterway, The Woodlands, Texas
Yes, I really enjoy our ROMEO* lunches, excellent company in a nice setting.

* Retired Old Men Eating Out

Closed Thread