Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 06:09 PM   #18601
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's Friday so I went in to the office and helped myself to a free lunch and used one of the firm's conference rooms for a non-work related meeting with some friends. This part time consulting thing is not bad.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2015, 11:06 PM   #18602
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ended up taking DW to an urgent care place. Her doc gave her a new script and this morning her hands seemed a little red and swollen. She had a few Benedryl and later took an Oatmeal bath. When she called me I knew by her voice it wasn't good. She was covered in what looked like a few thousand welts, poor thing. Off we went, an hour later she had a steroid injection on the way home. I guess she won't be taking that new med.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:13 AM   #18603
Full time employment: Posting here.

Up at 5:00 AM as usual, so I had time to wake up slowly with coffee before meeting my running partner at 7:00 AM for a five mile run. Returned for a quick breakfast and shower before heading off to a full day of activity at our Lifelong Learning program - Spanish class, a graduate student piano concerto, Learn to Read Music class, then a walk across campus to be the featured speakers at a breakout session for retiring university staff called "What I Wished I'd Known About Retirement Beforehand." (Our response, as I was joined by DH for this, was to advise that there is as much need to address the non-financial side of retirement as there is the financial side, even though the later gets the lion's share of attention.)

New recipe for dinner: One-Pot Pasta with Spinach and Tomatoes Recipe | MyRecipes.com, which turned out great.
Watched the pilot episode of The Grinder on Hulu (pretty funny!), then went upstairs to bed to read for the remainder of the evening. I lasted until 8 PM before falling fast asleep. Slept nine hours, so hoping I'll make it until 9 PM tonight. (Still resetting our internal clocks after a week of going to bed early/getting up early while backpacking in the Grand Canyon)
Old 11-06-2015, 11:25 AM   #18604
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Two loads of laundry.
Got flu shot and pneumonia shot.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 11-06-2015, 12:52 PM   #18605
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Ended up taking DW to an urgent care place. Her doc gave her a new script and this morning her hands seemed a little red and swollen. She had a few Benedryl and later took an Oatmeal bath. When she called me I knew by her voice it wasn't good. She was covered in what looked like a few thousand welts, poor thing. Off we went, an hour later she had a steroid injection on the way home. I guess she won't be taking that new med.
Sorry to hear...those steroids are amazing and used for a lot of ailments. DW has COPD and when she can't breathe (well), Dr. prescribes steroids.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:09 PM   #18606
Give me a forum ...

Last night, a molar cap fell off while I was flossing. Its face was so worn out that there was a huge hole in the middle. Arghhh! More expenses.

I went to my dentist early this morning. A new cap costs me $800. What do people do if they do not have the money? I guess I am fortunate.

On the way home, my wife wanted to stop by a shopping mall. My SIL had told her of a department store that was turned into a clearance center. An hour later, we left after my wife picked out 4 dresses among the dozen that she tried on. And I waited patiently, and even looked at the dresses that she tried on and gave comments. Honestly, I could not remember the last time I was so nice to her. She is now happy to have new clothes to wear on next week trip to Hawaii, then the cruise after that.

Life is good.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-06-2015, 02:13 PM   #18607
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Hope she's feeling better. Wasn't her doctors office open that you had to take her to an urgent care place for the steroid injection?
Old 11-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #18608
Give me a forum ...

Shopping trips to Staples, pet smart, BJ's, tax office. Staples - stand in line to find out my $5 coupon won't work with on sale flash drive. Pet smart - not a single problem. Bjs - screaming whiny kids as pylons, and somehow lost entire package of paper towels from my cart on way to car. Tax office - people sitting around until I show up at window, then incredible advanced state of faux busy. Two hour nap fixed all of that...
Old 11-06-2015, 02:21 PM   #18609
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Just got texts from Chase asking about two charges to my Amazon Visa today - one for $0.01 and one for $628. Nope, not me.

Chase denied both charges and thankfully that isn't the card where I have all my auto-pay accounts linked (utility bill, cell phone, etc.). At least I won't have to contact all those folks to change cards when Chase sends me a new one.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:22 PM   #18610
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Last night, a molar cap fell off while I was flossing. Its face was so worn out that there was a huge hole in the middle. Arghhh! More expenses.

I went to my dentist early this morning. A new cap costs me $800. What do people do if they do not have the money? I guess I am fortunate.
I'm in the midst of implant procedure. About six months ago #4 cap fell off, and root canal work below was all that's left. Tooth is now extracted, with graft in place. More to come.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:23 PM   #18611
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Hope she's feeling better. Wasn't her doctors office open that you had to take her to an urgent care place for the steroid injection?
You know they should have been a little more proactive. She called the nurse yesterday morning and got called back at COB. When she took the bath it was obviously much worse than either of us knew.

It hit me just a while ago, she's still having issues with itching, probably hives too. They had given her an antibiotic also for a sinus infection a few days before. They can cause a rash too, she's had reactions like that before. I don't think she'll be taking any more bactrim either. Really makes me question her DR. and her nurse.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:44 PM   #18612
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So sorry to hear about your wife, MRG. DH had something similar happen once and we never traced it to anything specific, like a medication change, and it has never happened again.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 11-06-2015, 02:47 PM   #18613
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I'm in the midst of implant procedure. About six months ago #4 cap fell off, and root canal work below was all that's left. Tooth is now extracted, with graft in place. More to come.
Yes, teeth that had root canal done on will get weakened and dissolved with time. My teeth all have intact root canal, hence still live. I needed a cap on a few of them because their face got all worn out. Dentists said it was bruxism, but I think my diet of fiber over the years was also a big factor.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-06-2015, 03:02 PM   #18614
Give me a forum ...

We took the train into the city last night to hear some 60s type music bands at a club in the Mission District called The Chapel, which is actually a converted mortuary but I guess Chapel has more marketing cache. One band had a belly dancer and an aerial silk act, too. The backdrop was some kind of flowing psychedelic forms that would have made Peter Max proud. It was a fun event - we'll probably go back even though we ended up getting home way past our normal bedtime.

Today will be more sedate - Costco run before the weekend crowds make it crazy busy, $5 Friday specials at Safeway and more errands and household chores.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 11-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #18615
Recycles dryer sheets

Taking pictures of the backyard critters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3820 - Copy.jpg (456.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 11-06-2015, 07:04 PM   #18616
Recycles dryer sheets

Told the boss that I'm quitting work at the end of April. She's jealous. She's 53 and has 6 years to go. I just turned 50. A big day for me.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:15 PM   #18617

Good for you, Davis!!! Start that countdown calendar! And put yourself in the Class of 2016 if you haven't already.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:15 PM   #18618
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis65 View Post
Told the boss that I'm quitting work at the end of April. She's jealous. She's 53 and has 6 years to go. I just turned 50. A big day for me.
Woo-hoo. That is exciting news!
Old 11-06-2015, 07:19 PM   #18619
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis65 View Post
Congratulations!
Old 11-06-2015, 08:09 PM   #18620
Give me a forum ...

Made it to our southern home a few days ago, been pulling everything together and trying to adjust from the mid-50s to the low 90s. May have gotten here a little too early. But just got our cable/internet set up earlier today, so no more slightly-faster-than-dialup mobile hotspot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
If I had one I'd show you a picture of our next door neighbor down here. Definitely the poster child of no money/no dental care. He's a great guy, but every time I hang out with him I come back home and immediately brush and floss.
Closed Thread