Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 08:37 AM   #18621
Recycles dryer sheets

Under 'Keeping it Real' - Spent the entire day in front of my computer researching and booking hotels and activities for a couple of upcoming trips. In my pajamas.

Finally pulled myself away around 4 PM to shower and get ready to meet my DD for dinner and furniture shopping at IKEA. This necessitated going out in the midst of Friday night rush hour traffic, which was a bit of a forgotten shock to the system. IKEA at least was quiet. Interesting place, though my senses were totally on overload by the time we came out. Although I'm not their target market, I can see the appeal for those that are - my daughter got a large sofa, coffee table, end table and three lamps for under $800.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2015, 09:08 AM   #18622
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DH decided to give me the bad respiratory virus he just had. I felt fine yesterday, did my daily swim and everything. We got our flu shots yesterday. By evening I was wheezing a little but slept well. Today the combo of the flu vaccine yesterday has me wheezing worse and I have the body aches from my immune response to the flu shot (That happened last year). So I will sleep as much as I can and baby myself since I have to play a concert tonight. Bed, water, ibuprofen and albuterol, you are my friends today.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Old 11-07-2015, 09:31 AM   #18623
Full time employment: Posting here.

Almost perfect weather here - finally cooled off so did a long hike out at Torrey Pines up the cliffs and along the beach.

Then a grocery run on the way back to pick up a steak, fresh green beans, potato, and salad works for dinner. Grilled up the steak and green beans and enjoyed a nice wine and quiet dinner with DW.

A beautiful cool sunset and some snuggle time watching TV before heading up to bed.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:42 PM   #18624
Recycles dryer sheets

This morning I loaded up a backpack with some food and water and decided to go on a bit of an epic beach trek. My best "guesstimate" is that I logged about 8 miles total. In all my years of visiting this place I've always felt I never had the TIME to explore like I did today. The beaches go on for miles here (Baja) with nary a soul to be seen - I only encountered people when near a resort and even then the beaches were hardly busy. I saw footprints in the sand that were not mine - but the creators of these sandy dimples were long gone. All sorts of fish were jumping beyond the surf zone with birds dive bombing in an attempt to catch them - I never truly appreciated how masterful pelicans were in the air, despite their rather comic bearing on land. Also saw frigate birds, ospreys, and some that I didn't know. A little dissapointed I didn't find any more baby sea turtles...the cuteness of the one I rescued a few days ago still haunts me. My improved post-ER fitness had me feeling invigorated at the end of this...in previous years this would have WRECKED me. All in all a magical day.

Tomorrow will not be so ambitious...I am not budging from the poolside. I have a backlog on my Kindle I need to dig into.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (413.3 KB, 27 views)
Old 11-08-2015, 06:44 AM   #18625

We have the grandkids for the weekend, yesterday we took them to the circus.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:13 AM   #18626
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
Taking pictures of the backyard critters.
Looks like some good eating to me. Grilled up backstrap (tenderloin). Venison stew. Yum!
Old 11-08-2015, 10:30 AM   #18627
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
This morning I loaded up a backpack with some food and water and decided to go on a bit of an epic beach trek. My best "guesstimate" is that I logged about 8 miles total. In all my years of visiting this place I've always felt I never had the TIME to explore like I did today. The beaches go on for miles here (Baja) with nary a soul to be seen - I only encountered people when near a resort and even then the beaches were hardly busy. I saw footprints in the sand that were not mine - but the creators of these sandy dimples were long gone. All sorts of fish were jumping beyond the surf zone with birds dive bombing in an attempt to catch them - I never truly appreciated how masterful pelicans were in the air, despite their rather comic bearing on land. Also saw frigate birds, ospreys, and some that I didn't know. A little dissapointed I didn't find any more baby sea turtles...the cuteness of the one I rescued a few days ago still haunts me. My improved post-ER fitness had me feeling invigorated at the end of this...in previous years this would have WRECKED me. All in all a magical day.

Tomorrow will not be so ambitious...I am not budging from the poolside. I have a backlog on my Kindle I need to dig into.
That sounds like a magical day to me too. I hope you had enough sunscreen and a big hat!
Old 11-08-2015, 06:07 PM   #18628
Recycles dryer sheets

You might consider Cartersville, GA just a short drive north of Atlanta, with some good restaurants, parks, lakes, and land is less expensive.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:29 AM   #18629
Give me a forum ...

Got up at 4:00 AM for cataract surgery. Back now, very simple process. Right eyes a little sore, feels like there's something in there. Still very dilated too. I'm hoping by tomorrow it's un-dilated and I'll figure out how I'll see for the next 3 weeks. So far it's fair without glasses but probably not OK to drive yet. When I removed one lens from my glasses it's pretty nauseating and I'm not sure how long my brain might take to get used to that. I may be a little unique in this area as my uncorrected vision is something like 20/750.

I have had a couple of times when I could see a glimpse of what may be coming and holy cow, what a difference that will be.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:33 AM   #18630
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Got up at 4:00 AM for cataract surgery. Back now, very simple process. Right eyes a little sore, feels like there's something in there. Still very dilated too. I'm hoping by tomorrow it's un-dilated and I'll figure out how I'll see for the next 3 weeks. So far it's fair without glasses but probably not OK to drive yet. When I removed one lens from my glasses it's pretty nauseating and I'm not sure how long my brain might take to get used to that. I may be a little unique in this area as my uncorrected vision is something like 20/750.

I have had a couple of times when I could see a glimpse of what may be coming and holy cow, what a difference that will be.
Glad to hear that all went well! That feeling that something is in your eye, will go away in a few days. I had the same thing. It took my eyes 2-3 days to fully un-dilate, but that differs for different people.

I didn't drive until 5 days after my second eye was done (12 days after my first, dominant eye was done). But then, I had Frank waiting on me hand and foot driving me around wherever I wanted to go. Don't forget to get a new driver's license that says you don't need glasses, if you don't.

I couldn't get the lens out of my glasses, so I went that week between surgeries with no glasses. Not ideal, but hey, it's just a week.

Anyway, congratulations for getting that surgery over and done with in that eye! And thanks for reminding me - - it's time for my drops.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-09-2015, 01:33 PM   #18631

Yesterday we went to visit DW's family, watched a football game, and ate chili that DW had made. Got back home then went to the ER because I was in afib again with a high heart rate. They got it stabilized in a couple of hours and sent me home. Today I made appointments with the regular doc and cardiologist for later this week. It looks like a cardiac ablation procedure might be in my future. Whoever said that "getting old isn't for the faint of heart" was right.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:36 PM   #18632
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Walt, you sure it wasn't the chili know how to screw up a Sunday, don't you?

Seriously, hope your docs can get you squared away, and soon!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 11-09-2015, 01:56 PM   #18633

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Walt, you sure it wasn't the chili know how to screw up a Sunday, don't you?

Seriously, hope your docs can get you squared away, and soon!
DW said the same thing about the chili - but it's her chili and the same thing she's been making for 20+ years. So I doubt the connection.

I'm hoping so on getting this squared away. I went to the gym today (ER doc said that with a BPM rate of 166 I'd passed my stress test) and everything's back to normal now. These trips to the ER are wearing thin.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:08 PM   #18634

Walt- hopefully the docs find a quick fix for your afib. Maybe they'll recommend "lifestyle modifications" - no more chili or football games. I know a guy whose cardiologist said "no more white sox games". Good luck with your tests!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-09-2015, 03:26 PM   #18635
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Took 3 mile sunrise walk.

Packed and arranged stuff for drive to Ohio tomorrow.
Will sign off on the Ohio house and all the expenses thereof on Friday.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:58 PM   #18636

Safe travels, Khan!
Old 11-09-2015, 06:33 PM   #18637
Administrator

Pretty scary, Walt. I hope it doesn't repeat and that your doctors come up with something less scary sounding than cardiac ablation. You're braver than I would have been, going to the gym right after something like that. I agree, as good as that chili must have been it's probably not the chili.

Khan, drive safely and have a nice trip! So glad that you you are closing on that house. For a while, when the market was bad, I remember you were wondering if you could ever sell it. Now it is out of your hair forever, and you can continue making a happy life for yourself in Florida.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-09-2015, 07:03 PM   #18638
Give me a forum ...

Wow Walt 166, no fun at all. I had the tachycardia issue back in May, it was pretty scary and I was only doing ~110. Ablation doesn't like anything to take lightly but if that fixes it I'd sign up.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:40 PM   #18639
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post

Wishing you a speedy recovery from your surgery, MRG.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 11-09-2015, 07:50 PM   #18640
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
DW said the same thing about the chili - but it's her chili and the same thing she's been making for 20+ years. So I doubt the connection.
In Ayurveda (traditional Indian medicine), chili peppers actually are one of the foods thought to increase metabolism (pitta dosha). There was even a Seinfeld show on this only it was spicy Kung Pao chicken making George break out in a sweat and look guilty when he was asked about missing equipment at work by his boss.

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Closed Thread