Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 08:05 PM   #18641
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
DW said the same thing about the chili - but it's her chili and the same thing she's been making for 20+ years. So I doubt the connection.

I'm hoping so on getting this squared away. I went to the gym today (ER doc said that with a BPM rate of 166 I'd passed my stress test) and everything's back to normal now. These trips to the ER are wearing thin.
Walt, It could be the chili. Doesn't matter how long you've been eating it. Some foods can cause arrhythmia. Think about people and salt and high blood pressure. My uncle thinks he can still have salt because he always had salt so the salt can't be a problem.
My aunt had that ablation procedure and it cleared up all her problems. It took them a while to figure out what was going on because it wasn't showing up in tests or the monitor she had to wear. It was kind of funny. One of the problems she had was feeling faint while out walking around town or at the park. You couldn't stop her from walking. The doctor told her to lay down until the faintness passed. I'd come upon her laying on the side of the trail in the woods at the park or laying on a bench in town.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2015, 08:43 PM   #18642

Wow... Lots to catch up on here.

Walt - my bff had ablation about 10 years ago. She'd had some a-fib but her biggest issue was racing heart beat when she'd get stressed. It's 100% resolved since the procedure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
Taking pictures of the backyard critters.
Theseus - your picture reminds me of the really cool movie I saw this weekend at the San Diego Asian Film Festival. It as a documentary about Tyrus Wong - he did much of the animation for Bambi. An amazing artist and really interesting guy. He was in the audience for the showing - at age 105!!! If the movie goes into wider screening - definitely worth a watch.. (Apparently it might get picked up for showing on American Masters on PBS). Here's a picture from Bambi

Old 11-09-2015, 08:48 PM   #18643

Oh - and I had a full day today.
Walked on the beach - high tide, low waves, but good form and great clouds at sunrise. The surfers seemed to be having fun.

Came home did chores -then headed off to get the kids, dropped older son off, then picked up my robotics team at their school (my son goes to a different middle school). They then presented their project skit to about 25 seniors at a local Continuing Care community. Herding 12 year olds is always a challenge. But they did well - which is good because the First Lego League competition is this Saturday.

I'm exhausted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151109_062858.jpg (475.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20151109_062902.jpg (282.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 11-09-2015, 09:38 PM   #18644

Went to the new Orlando VA Medical Center (VAMC) at Lake Nona to meet my new doctor at the facility. No health issues but I have to see a doc every once in awhile to stay in the system since I receive all my healthcare from the VA.

All I could keep saying was "Wow, wow, wow!" It's the most modern, beautiful, welcoming, comfortable, sunlit building I think I've ever been in. The staff was pretty great, too! I love that the VA creates Women's Clinics within the large facility which serve women and are staffed by women. It's an hour each way but well worth the drive.
The new Orlando VA Medical Center at Lake Nona is located on a 65-acre campus in southeast Orange County. The 1.2 million square foot facility cost $600 million to construct. The medical center will have a large multispecialty outpatient clinic, 134-inpatient beds, 120-community living center beds, a 60-bed domiciliary and administrative and support services. The VA Lake Nona Campus is co-located with the University of Central Florida College of Medicine, the Burnham Institute, the University of Florida Academic and Research Center, and Nemours Children’s Hospital in the area known as the "Medical City".
Old 11-10-2015, 04:47 PM   #18645
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Drove from Cape Coral to Macon. Getting too old for 10 hours of driving; this was about 8.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:25 PM   #18646
Full time employment: Posting here.

Morning chores, then a walk searching out the steepest neighborhood streets for a good cardio.

Back home, I mounted up an old Shure turntable cartridge that I found in the back shelf I forgot I had. Took some time to get it all aligned and adjusted, then had a fantastic afternoon spinning LPs and grinning at the amazingly great sound.

Then set about making calzones: prepped the red sauce, browned up the Italian sausage, combined and simmered/reduced everything. Rolled out the dough - ready to go into the oven to time dinner when DW and DS get home.

After that - guilty pleasure: Agents of Shield.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:57 PM   #18647
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I drove!

Had my day 1 exam at 11:30. I can see, and it's getting better. Just as WR2 suggested the little both some feeling in my right eye are gone. Doc checked implant and it's perfect. My vision uncorrected was 20/30 from both eyes. With just my right I'm hitting 20/25. There's a big difference in today from yesterday and from early morning to evening. He said I was good to drive if needed. Interesting when I asked about my licence restrictions he said to wait till my second eye was done, in the interm just carry my glasses. I mentioned I can't use them lens in or out as my brain isn't buying the image, he repeated just carry. Well he probably won't be out much if I get a ticket.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:04 PM   #18648

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Well he probably won't be out much if I get a ticket.
Perhaps in addition to the glasses carry with you some supporting documentation about the cataract surgery that has dates on it.

I'm a retired police officer. If I stopped someone with a glasses restriction w/o glasses they got a ticket for it. It never happened to me, but if they'd had supporting documentation from doctor/hospital showing a dramatic and recent change to better vision I'd have believed the story.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:21 PM   #18649
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Perhaps in addition to the glasses carry with you some supporting documentation about the cataract surgery that has dates on it.

I'm a retired police officer. If I stopped someone with a glasses restriction w/o glasses they got a ticket for it. It never happened to me, but if they'd had supporting documentation from doctor/hospital showing a dramatic and recent change to better vision I'd have believed the story.
Thank you, brilliant idea really. I'll have my glasses with no right lens, forms with dates and a copy of the implants script.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:45 PM   #18650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Yes, I really enjoy our ROMEO* lunches, excellent company in a nice setting.

* Retired Old Men Eating Out
Cute!
Old 11-11-2015, 01:12 PM   #18651
Administrator

Currently in the middle of hickory smoking a couple racks of ribs for dinner.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:26 PM   #18652

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
What time is dinner??
Old 11-11-2015, 01:52 PM   #18653
Administrator

Quote:
Thank you, brilliant idea really. I'll have my glasses with no right lens, forms with dates and a copy of the implants script.
In my post-op care package, after each of my surgeries, they included a very official looking implant card with the implant number and date. They told me to carry that with me but I'm not sure why. Maybe that was why.

Now that my driver's license says I don't need glasses, I'm thinking of leaving them safely locked away at home. I suppose I might want them if my implant was recalled. Or not.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-11-2015, 02:27 PM   #18654
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
In my post-op care package, after each of my surgeries, they included a very official looking implant card with the implant number and date. They told me to carry that with me but I'm not sure why. Maybe that was why.

Now that my driver's license says I don't need glasses, I'm thinking of leaving them safely locked away at home. I suppose I might want them if my implant was recalled. Or not.
Thanks, great minds think alike. That's what I was thinking of bringing.

As I'm sure you experienced the blue sky is amazing! Fifty some hours post-op and it keeps getting crisper.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:32 PM   #18655
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks, great minds think alike. That's what I was thinking of bringing.

As I'm sure you experienced the blue sky is amazing! Fifty some hours post-op and it keeps getting crisper.
The color of the blue sky is so vivid, too. I love looking at the antenna arrays on top of skyscrapers in the distance, with the blue sky as their backdrop! They are so clear and intricate. Not only that, I love reading far-off signs that those with me cannot read even with their glasses on. Just being a passenger in a car and looking at everything is like an amusement park for me since my surgeries.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-11-2015, 03:47 PM   #18656
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Just curious how long you smoke them
Old 11-11-2015, 03:52 PM   #18657
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Just curious how long you smoke them
5 hours at 225F in a propane fired vertical smoker.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:19 PM   #18658
Give me a forum ...

That works well, and is exactly how I always used to do them.

I did three racks Monday on the BGE with a new technique that seems to work better for me.

Three hours at 225°F with plenty of rub and plenty of fruitwood smoke.
Then wrap in foil with a few spoonfuls of a liquid mixture (I use a dark beer/Worcestershire mix) and back on (in the foil with meat side down) at same temp for another hour or so.
Finally, out of the foil and back on for 15-20 minutes. Then brush on your preferred sauce/glaze (I use a commercial BBQ sauce with a little maple syrup added) and leave on for another hour or so, letting the temperature gradually rise to 350°F to caramelize and set the glaze.

The result is much juicier ribs, which DW appreciates.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:24 PM   #18659
Recycles dryer sheets

Had an early ice hockey scrimmage, took the dogs out for almost two hours, met a friend for lunch, did some fall/winter wardrobe shopping.
Reading a book and randomly texting with a couple of friends.

Wild Irish Rogue
Old 11-11-2015, 06:39 PM   #18660

Got back from my mancave. On the way there I had small chore to take care of:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 014.JPG (298.8 KB, 34 views)