Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 05:59 PM   #18721
Recycles dryer sheets

Just got the heat back!😃 Now the surgery is set for Dec. 3, with the other hand set for two weeks later.

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

what did you do today?
Old 11-17-2015, 07:26 PM   #18722
Administrator

what did you do today?

Morning: Weight Watchers, of course.
Noon: Lunch with F (small Caesar salad and water).
Afternoon: dentist to get my teeth cleaned
Tonight: waiting for severe weather that is supposed to get here at 10 PM, watching The Voice in the meantime, and reading your posts on the board.

In other words, another wonderful day of retirement...

Old 11-17-2015, 09:07 PM   #18723
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

After a night of sever wind and about 14 inches of snow with major drifts, I found that my house is not as weather tight as I hoped. The windows are all covered with house wrap, but the wind blew the snow in up under the eves so I had a nice layer of snow on everything this morning. Spent the day sweeping snow out of the house and plowing snow. Plowed one guy out of his lot. Pulled the kid's camp director out of a snow bank. Plowed into the darkness and finished the day by getting my plow truck very stuck a few feet from where I park it.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:54 PM   #18724

Here's hoping tomorrow is not like today. I volunteered to follow Not-Quite Mrs. redduck to the auto repair place as she had backed into a Mercedes a few days ago. (It seems a woman was making a U-turn in front of our driveway as N-Q Mrs. r was backing out of the garage). Anyhow, as N-Q Mrs. r was ready to leave the collision place in her rented shiny black Camaro (she wanted a Jetta), I got ready to leave as well. I was parked in the repair place's lot and immediately backed into a parked BMW.

After that accident was reported to the insurance companies I went to Home Depot to return a trowel and cement-in-a can. The clerk asked me if I was returning the items because I didn't need them. I told her that I was returning them because I was over-matched by the items and had no idea how to use them. This caused the customers around me to kind of shuffle away. (They must have been in awe--especially when I explained that the trowel didn't come with directions). While I'm still talking to the clerk, N-Q Mrs. r calls me to say she's locked out of the house. The clerk hears the conversation and immediately gives me a refund.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:18 PM   #18725
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Here's hoping tomorrow is not like today. I volunteered to follow Not-Quite Mrs. redduck to the auto repair place as she had backed into a Mercedes a few days ago. (It seems a woman was making a U-turn in front of our driveway as N-Q Mrs. r was backing out of the garage). Anyhow, as N-Q Mrs. r was ready to leave the collision place in her rented shiny black Camaro (she wanted a Jetta), I got ready to leave as well. I was parked in the repair place's lot and immediately backed into a parked BMW.

After that accident was reported to the insurance companies I went to Home Depot to return a trowel and cement-in-a can. The clerk asked me if I was returning the items because I didn't need them. I told her that I was returning them because I was over-matched by the items and had no idea how to use them. This caused the customers around me to kind of shuffle away. (They must have been in awe--especially when I explained that the trowel didn't come with directions). While I'm still talking to the clerk, N-Q Mrs. r calls me to say she's locked out of the house. The clerk hears the conversation and immediately gives me a refund.
Some days, you just wish you had stayed in bed!
Old 11-18-2015, 05:52 AM   #18726

Wednesday - five hour hike with a colleague who retired at about the same time I did. Crossing a busy road jammed with rush hour commuters heading into work (and occasionally spotting people I know) never gets old.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:15 AM   #18727
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yesterday, spent the morning meeting with some folks from our local Arts Council about an artist co-op we're trying to start in the spring. Afternoon raking leaves at the river camp. Got them down below the embankment wall so if they blow, they should make it to the river. If not, next week we'll push them the rest of the way but I had enough leaves for the day.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:20 AM   #18728
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
psssssst, where are the pics?
I obliged, even though my photos are so mediocre I was reluctant to share.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:21 AM   #18729
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
...Afternoon raking leaves at the river camp. Got them down below the embankment wall so if they blow, they should make it to the river. If not, next week we'll push them the rest of the way but I had enough leaves for the day.
Put a match to it?
Old 11-18-2015, 09:34 AM   #18730
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Beautiful!

Quote:
Put a match to it?
I was thinking of those mulching rider mowers... I have four big trees at my new home, but haven't raked at all. My lawn guy somehow takes care of all that for me. I think he just turns them into mulch as he mows.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:53 PM   #18731
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Went to the dentist to have a crown reglued.
He ground it down a bit so is no longer being hit by lower incisor.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 11-18-2015, 01:17 PM   #18732

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Beautiful!

I was thinking of those mulching rider mowers... I have four big trees at my new home, but haven't raked at all. My lawn guy somehow takes care of all that for me. I think he just turns them into mulch as he mows.

I had already mowed and mulched twice but just too many to keep up with. The River bank is only 20 feet away so will move them over the bank most likely. That's what the people who owned the camp before us did with them. Many of the leaves are really large, from Sycamores and Maples that are over 3 feet in diameter.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:36 PM   #18733

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
I had already mowed and mulched twice but just too many to keep up with. The River bank is only 20 feet away so will move them over the bank most likely. That's what the people who owned the camp before us did with them. Many of the leaves are really large, from Sycamores and Maples that are over 3 feet in diameter.

Wow! That's big leaf!
Old 11-18-2015, 02:43 PM   #18734

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
..Spent the day sweeping snow out of the house and plowing snow. Plowed one guy out of his lot. Pulled the kid's camp director out of a snow bank. Plowed into the darkness and finished the day by getting my plow truck very stuck a few feet from where I park it.
Sounds like somebody had fun playing in the snow. That was nice helping your neighbors out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post

Holy cow, that sure was a bad day. Hope today was better.

Quote:
Thanks for posting the pics. I'll probably never get there and enjoy seeing everyone travel photos.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:11 PM   #18735

Cleaned out/reorganized my closet - one more of a page full of fall "to-dos" around the house now that we've lived here 5+ years. Sat outside in the sun after lunch - it's a beautiful day. Noticed that the dog is short-cutting a path through my parsley and broccoli plants so put up the tomato cage to deter him. Getting ready to head out on an hour-plus drive to a meeting for one of my volunteer gigs.

DH decided he didn't want to go out in the RV tomorrow as I had planned, so I think I'll clean out the garage and cross another item off my list.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:22 PM   #18736
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Mowed the north 40 1.5 for what I hope is the last time this year.

Discovered the reason our internet was down wasn't due to the service provider (the usual culprit), our router is bad.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

Old 11-18-2015, 04:26 PM   #18737

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Wow! That's big leaf!
I did say- "from" trees that big!
Old 11-18-2015, 10:23 PM   #18738
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... Thanks for posting the pics. I'll probably never get there and enjoy seeing everyone travel photos.
Why not? It does not cost that much, compared to flying to exotic places like Seychelles or Saipan. I did not even bring my passport. And as Hawaii is part of the US, I even brought some beef jerky as snack (meat is a big no-no crossing international borders). In fact, the traveler in the adjacent seat in the flight from the US said that, being a Maui native, she always brings back lots of beef jerky as it is expensive in Hawaii. But I digress...

Today, we went on a raft excursion to Lanai. They also took us snorkeling and watching dolphins. I am just resting right now before thinking about what to do for dinner.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:39 PM   #18739

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Some days, you just wish you had stayed in bed!
I followed your medical advice and stayed in bed all day. Well, I didn't stay in bed all day, but I didn't leave the house--except to go out to the mailbox. I know that it probably isn't obvious to most that you gave me medical advice, but luckily, I can read between the lines (it's a gift). You just don't know whom you're going to run into on the internet.

Quote:
Holy cow, that sure was a bad day. Hope today was better.
Thanks. Today was better.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:39 PM   #18740

what did you do today?

Changed some categories in Mint, assigned some transactions and looked at spending trend of the last few months. Doing stuff like this is fun to me. I bet there are many people on this forum who can relate :-)