Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 05:00 PM   #18821
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Took 20 boxes of Christmas decorations out of the attic today. I thought we got rid of half this stuff when we downsized recently?
aja, I swear they multiple in the attic!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2015, 05:08 PM   #18822
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
aja, I swear they multiple in the attic!
If that's the case, then only 10 boxes are going back up there after Christmas!x
Old 11-29-2015, 05:19 PM   #18823
Administrator

Went to church. Raked and bagged the last of my leaves. Smoked a turkey breast (they're on sale after T-day) and two chicken breasts. Canned 16 pints of turkey stock from the Thanksgiving carcass that we had stuck in the freezer on Thursday.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:23 PM   #18824
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just got back from Thanksgiving on the East coast. Traveled out there with DD. Thanksgiving dinner with DS, his GF who we knew, and her family who we met for the first time. Also got to spend time with East Coast friends. It was an interesting and enjoyable week.

This was the first time I had flown since retirement. I must say that I was surprised at how much I disliked the whole flying thing. The rental car place made me feel like a criminal for not purchasing the redundant insurance. It also might have had something to do with taking a red eye out there and staying up for over 40 hours on that first day. We had to work around DD's schedule so not much of an option on flight times. If I have an option, however, I think I would much prefer to drive.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:08 AM   #18825
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Got up at 5:00 AM for my second cataract surgery. No food water etc. drove up in heavy rain and fog at 6 for 7:15 pre-op. Get dilated and IV in when I hear someone out in the hall say "there's an emergency C-section we're taking your OR". As I figured a little while longer they told me about an hour delay. Then 30 minutes later a nurse comes in apologetically says DR. X is sick and cannot operate on you!

DW was nervous about driving in the rain so I drove back home and made blueberry pancakes. I was hungry! Hopefully this gets done this year.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:14 AM   #18826
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Got up at 5:00 AM for my second cataract surgery. No food water etc. drove up in heavy rain and fog at 6 for 7:15 pre-op. Get dilated and IV in when I hear someone out in the hall say "there's an emergency C-section we're taking your OR". As I figured a little while longer they told me about an hour delay. Then 30 minutes later a nurse comes in apologetically says DR. X is sick and cannot operate on you!

DW was nervous about driving in the rain so I drove back home and made blueberry pancakes. I was hungry! Hopefully this gets done this year.
Oh no!!! How disappointing. I hope they can reschedule soon at your convenience.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 11-30-2015, 10:15 AM   #18827
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Roasted a goose.
So, Khan, how did the goose turn out? I've never eaten goose, but we have so many of them wandering around in our yard and pond in MD that I'm pretty sure I could pick a few off with a golf club. If meat prices keep going up I may give it a try.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:16 AM   #18828
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Then 30 minutes later a nurse comes in apologetically says DR. X is sick and cannot operate on you!
Calling in sick on Monday to stretch the holiday weekend another day. Oldest trick in the book.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:29 AM   #18829
Give me a forum ...

I was going to get my lab work done today for my routine doctor appointment in two weeks. But since I have been fighting off a bug, I wondered if being sick might affect the results. So, I decided to delay doing that until Wednesday.

Instead, I called the tree trimming/removal service that I used for years at my former home. The only thing that is not perfect about my Dream House, is that it has many very gigantic trees on the lot, to the point of being way overgrown and dropping huge branches on the neighbors every time we have a windstorm. And this is hurricane country, so that does happen. Right now, one of the trees is so overgrown it is touching Frank's roof and another is so overgrown that it is touching mine. So at the very least, trimming is in order for most of the trees and at least one needs to go. Maybe several. Also I want them to remove the bushes on my side of the chain link fence between Frank's back yard and mine, so that we can have a gate installed.

The tree service is sending out an arborist tomorrow to help me decide what to do.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:33 AM   #18830
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
...Also I want them to remove the bushes on my side of the chain link fence between Frank's back yard and mine, so that we can have a gate installed. ...
My, that would be convenient. Perhaps some pathway lighting too.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 11-30-2015, 10:37 AM   #18831
Moderator Emeritus

DW went to the church to do some volunteer work. I have done absolutely nothing yet and may continue along that path for the rest of the day.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:40 AM   #18832
Give me a forum ...

Having fun watching migrating Canadian geese. We got a thin layer of ice overnight which is sufficient to support their weight. Some of them landed on it as if they were landing in water and slid a long ways.

Now they are walking on it but every so often one walks near to the edge of ope water and breaks through. Inexpensive entertainment.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:53 AM   #18833
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
My, that would be convenient. Perhaps some pathway lighting too.
Great idea!! Also maybe we should have a paved pathway to lower the chances of tripping and falling as we grow older. But definitely some motion detecting lights along the path are in order.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:53 AM   #18834
Give me a forum ...

Just returned from Thanksgiving in Las Vegas with older cousins we have not seen for many, many years. One has a second home there and we all went down for a reunion. Great times.

It was brisk there. Did NOT go swimming in the outdoor pool.

Found Vegas area to be well laid out (great streets!) but very expensive.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 11-30-2015, 11:20 AM   #18835
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Great idea!! Also maybe we should have a paved pathway to lower the chances of tripping and falling as we grow older. But definitely some motion detecting lights along the path are in order.
I guess I had those solar powered pathway lights in mind...or you could go with the low voltage versions but those require wiring. We have those along our lakeside.

We also have a wired motion detector floodlight on the house. Depending on the distance involved you might have one at each end. They will provide much better lighting.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:28 AM   #18836
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I guess I had those solar powered pathway lights in mind...or you could go with the low voltage versions but those require wiring. We have those along our lakeside.

We also have a wired motion detector floodlight on the house. Depending on the distance involved you might have one at each end. They will provide much better lighting.
Sounds nice! Solar powered pathway lights might be just perfect.

We aren't that far apart.... and we both have back door floodlights so that will give us a start on the lighting situation.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:59 PM   #18837
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sounds nice! Solar powered pathway lights might be just perfect.

We aren't that far apart.... (see below), and we both have back door floodlights so that will give us a start on the lighting situation.
Just dig a tunnel...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 11-30-2015, 01:00 PM   #18838
Give me a forum ...

Old 11-30-2015, 02:12 PM   #18839
Give me a forum ...

Tunnel of love might be too radical and expensive, but a fully enclosed walk will provide shelter from the weather (doesn't it rain a lot in Nawlins?), and allow visit without changing into street clothes.

We just came back from an errand to get garden supplies, now that I am gung ho on gardening. On the way, stopped at a 99c store, and found flower bulb packs of which we bought several. How can you beat 99c packs of several bulbs of narcissus, tulip, iris, anemone?

Last night, I searched the Web looking for plant nurseries, and found that the local Tiptop chain had been defunct for who knows how long. The nearest nursery is several miles away, and when we got there they had mostly large trees and a meager selection of plants and flowers.

Home Depot and Lowe's now are the only places you can get annuals. Don't people grow anything anymore? Thirty years ago, we used to live near a Tiptop place that was as big and had as many plants and trees as a botanical garden. We used to go there on Saturdays to look for ideas, and it was a fun and free outing.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-30-2015, 02:23 PM   #18840
Give me a forum ...

A friend emailed a link to this to me today. A great American! (the one on the left)

Closed Thread