Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 12:52 PM   #18921
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Got up at 4 AM for cataract surgery at 7. Everyone was there this time. Same nurse was there for the third IV. This surgery was longer the implant insertion took a bit longer to do than last time. Still only slightly unpleasant, nothing compared to the benefit It's a little challenging reading right now perhaps by morning things will be better.
Glad you are done! My second eye was not as much a breeze as the first--different anesthesiologist decided to use minimal sedation for no reason and it was quite uncomfortable, besides my being able to see more of what was going on with the first no-longer-nearsighted eye meant I was a lot more aware of the equipment and the procedure. But all turned out splendidly, and I hope in the next couple of days you are as happy with the second eye's results as you are with the first.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2015, 01:24 PM   #18922
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
...minimal sedation for no reason and it was quite uncomfortable...
After enduring a root canal under similar sedation, I will NEVER let another doctor/dentist/whatever do that to me...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 12-07-2015, 01:42 PM   #18923
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Glad you are done! My second eye was not as much a breeze as the first--different anesthesiologist decided to use minimal sedation for no reason and it was quite uncomfortable, besides my being able to see more of what was going on with the first no-longer-nearsighted eye meant I was a lot more aware of the equipment and the procedure. But all turned out splendidly, and I hope in the next couple of days you are as happy with the second eye's results as you are with the first.

Do you HAVE to be awake for cataract surgery? 😖

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-07-2015, 01:43 PM   #18924

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
After enduring a root canal under similar sedation, I will NEVER let another doctor/dentist/whatever do that to me...

Never had this done, but I feel confident, having heard DH's tales, I'll have to knocked out for something like this. As of this writing I haven't found a dentist in our new area so I'd have to go back to my old dentist for such a procedure.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:49 PM   #18925
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I'm extremely resistant to Novocaine, and I ALWAYS make sure they allow extra time and extra doses to give me time to get numb. After having them cut into my toe once (ingrown toenail) while still fully feeling it, I make sure to get fully numb. As far as sedation, I want the full dose. DW once asked me "what if you die in your sleep?" I answered "That's my goal. Hopefully it won't be this time."
Old 12-07-2015, 02:04 PM   #18926
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
Do you HAVE to be awake for cataract surgery? ��
Normally you are, so that you can move your eyes in the directions dictated by the surgeon, I guess to help him position the intraocular lens properly.

But honestly (and I say this as the most terrified cataract patient that ever lived), it is no big deal. They give you a light anesthesia (Versed, in my case), that just totally removes nervousness and calms you to an unbelievable extent. It's like you are a log just lying there. You are super spaced out, but you can still follow directions. I think the directions were something like "look at the light and follow it while it moves" or something along those lines, because I was too spaced out to figure out right vs left. The whole surgery only takes 7 minutes on average.

Of course, in my case I was not uncomfortable. It probably would have seemed much longer if I was.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 12-07-2015, 04:07 PM   #18927

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Normally you are, so that you can move your eyes in the directions dictated by the surgeon, I guess to help him position the intraocular lens properly.

But honestly (and I say this as the most terrified cataract patient that ever lived), it is no big deal. They give you a light anesthesia (Versed, in my case), that just totally removes nervousness and calms you to an unbelievable extent. It's like you are a log just lying there. You are super spaced out, but you can still follow directions. I think the directions were something like "look at the light and follow it while it moves" or something along those lines, because I was too spaced out to figure out right vs left. The whole surgery only takes 7 minutes on average.

Of course, in my case I was not uncomfortable. It probably would have seemed much longer if I was.

Thanks, W2R.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:40 PM   #18928

Did a costco run. Got out of there cheap today because I didn't buy a lot of meat or booze. (Did have 2 organic chickens in there, though...)

Scheduled my ta-ta procedure. I'll have it done on 12/31... just in time to be on this year's deductible. No New Year's Eve plans -so not a big deal. I'm even allowed to drive home since it's all local anesthesia.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:48 PM   #18929
Moderator Emeritus

Made rough plans for the antique drafting table I'm going to build. Then made a pattern for the metal parts and reviewed it with a metal fabricator. Metal will be done in 2 days, and I'll be ready to start.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:41 PM   #18930
Full time employment: Posting here.

Spent 3 hours sitting in the IRS office. I wanted to May a payment on a notice I received for a trust I am trustee of, and I was searched and wanted, then sat for 2+ hours until they gave out numbers. Then another hour waiting for my number to be called. What a nightmare, about 30 people (plus another 10-15 turned away 3 hours BEFORE posted closing) served each waiting 2-3 hours. Only one person working (except for the 4 security guards!). If a second person was there, everyone could have been served and no one turned away! Our gubment at work!

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:12 PM   #18931
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman59 View Post
......... If a second person was there, everyone could have been served and no one turned away! Our gubment at work!...............
Didn't Congress recently cut back funding for the IRS?
Old 12-07-2015, 07:58 PM   #18932
Recycles dryer sheets

DW was out doing some shopping for the better part of the day, so I thought I'd make supper when she called to let me know she was on her way home. Venison tenderloins, breaded and in a gravy sauce with mushrooms and onions and a side of baby carrots. Delicious!
Old 12-07-2015, 08:29 PM   #18933
Administrator

That sounds delicious! I'm on for dinner tomorrow night and you've got me thinking.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:18 PM   #18934
Give me a forum ...

Twenty four hour post op eye exam. Doc says eye looks as expected for post op, little dry and minor inflammation. Tested 20/20 combined, reading eye was able to read the next to smallest text on their sheet.

Pretty happy now, in a week hoping for ecstatic. It's amazing, to me anyway, that our brains can adjust to mono vision and still have perphial vision too. I've been considered legally blind(uncorrected) for 50 years, not wearing glasses and seeing is strange!
Old 12-08-2015, 01:20 PM   #18935
Administrator

Quote:
Twenty four hour post op eye exam. Doc says eye looks as expected for post op, little dry and minor inflammation. Tested 20/20 combined, reading eye was able to read the next to smallest text on their sheet.

Pretty happy now, in a week hoping for ecstatic. It's amazing, to me anyway, that our brains can adjust to mono vision and still have perphial vision too. I've been considered legally blind(uncorrected) for 50 years, not wearing glasses and seeing is strange!
Good news indeed!
Old 12-08-2015, 02:32 PM   #18936
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Wow!!! Congratulations! Your vision is terrific. I am so happy for you! What a great improvement good vision can make in quality of life.

I'm happy with mine, too. After 6 weeks I finally came out with 20/25 in each eye separately, and 20/20 with both together. I use readers for reading, but for some reason I like this arrangement.

I agree about how strange it is to see without glasses. Just before getting into bed every night, I reach up for my glasses to take them off.... and nothing is there. I am just amazed at what I can see without glasses. I love driving on sunny days with my new oh-so-cool nonprescription Ray-Ban sunglasses. The lens quality is amazing.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 12-08-2015, 04:41 PM   #18937

Me and the pooch drove down to the beach for our daily sunrise beach walk to find the beach missing. (See pic below). High tide, combined with sunrise, combined with an offshore storm created a king tide. Part of the parking lot was flooded. I walked the dog on surface streets up to the pier and went down on the beach there... only to be trapped by a wave coming up to the sea wall there at Scripps. Oh well... my tennies dried out nicely in the sun today.

The picture shows a wave breaching the boardwalk/sea wall. The houses further north had waves up to their sea walls - very unusual. (High tide usually still has 10-15 feet of dry beach.)

The waves were huge - I saw several that were more than 10feet.

Other than my wet adventure this morning - I cleaned out younger son's drawers for all the too small stuff and dropped two HUGE boxes at the Salvation Army. Since he's now a teenager he's now in charge of his own laundry... so at least he'll be starting with organized drawers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151208_062951.jpg (439.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 12-08-2015, 05:17 PM   #18938
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman59 View Post
Spent 3 hours sitting in the IRS office.
Spent more time than that dealing with the Social Security office today. Couldn't get my local office to answer the phone after days of trying. Just sat in phone queue hell and I would either give up after an hour or get disconnected. A few times I was transferred to another office but they couldn't help. Soooo, I drove in (over an hour away). Sat in the waiting room this time for ~90 minutes before my number came up. Spent less than 10 minutes with the agent resolving the problem that they created. Total time today, driving, waiting, etc, getting them to correct a simple error (that they made) was about 4 hours...

Funny, I never had any problems dealing with the SSA for the 40+ years they were taking money out of every check I ever earn. Now that's it's time for them to pay back what they took, it seems to be a different story. I don't need the money (but I earned it) and I intend to fight them for every nickel.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:24 PM   #18939
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Spent more time than that dealing with the Social Security office today. Couldn't get my local office to answer the phone after days of trying. Just sat in phone queue hell and I would give up after an hour or get disconnected. A few times I was transferred to another office but they couldn't help. Soooo, I drove in (over an hour away). Sat in the waiting room this time for ~90 minutes before my number came up. Spent less than 10 minutes with the agent resolving the problem that they created. Total time today, driving, waiting, etc, getting them to correct a simple error (that they made) was about 4 hours...

Makes me glad I live five minutes from my local social security office, though it'll be a few years before I need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-08-2015, 05:35 PM   #18940
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Makes me glad I live five minutes from my local social security office, though it'll be a few years before I need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Look at this way, it will give you something to do in your spare time during retirement.
Closed Thread