Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 06:48 PM   #18941
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Look at this way, it will give you something to do in your spare time during retirement.

Closing in on three years retired. Hasn't been a problem yet finding things to do. But by then DW will be retired, so maybe I'll be looking for more things to get me out if the house....wait...I didn't say that!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2015, 06:57 PM   #18942
Recycles dryer sheets

Walked 4 miles round trip to the movie theater for a $5 movie, $2 popcorn and free soda...Tuesday special...on the way back stopped by Target, picked up some fun items for the white elephant exchange and the remaining things I needed to finish 2 "really ugly" sweaters.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:22 PM   #18943
Full time employment: Posting here.

Went to Costco to return a pair of gloves I had purchased as a Christmas gift for D1. They were a perfect gift for her, and I know it because she had DH buy them when they were at the store last weekend. She came home and said "here, wrap these and put them under the tree. Dad bought me a gift".

A woman in front of me in the return line was returning a dead potted mum. Costco accepted the return, no problem. Silly me...my mums were dead, and I put them in the trash!
Old 12-08-2015, 08:41 PM   #18944

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
Walked 4 miles round trip to the movie theater for a $5 movie, $2 popcorn and free soda...Tuesday special...on the way back stopped by Target, picked up some fun items for the white elephant exchange and the remaining things I needed to finish 2 "really ugly" sweaters.
Last time I walked to a movie that I can remember was when I was 7. I think the total price was closer to 25 cents. Weekday afternoon special for kids out of school for the summer.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:08 PM   #18945

Angel Flight

I flew a cancer patient and his caregiver from UCLA up to his home in Santa Barbara. By plane it took less than an hour, as opposed to at least 2 hours by car and the additional stress.
I enjoy doing this to help others.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:27 PM   #18946
Administrator

Very nice.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:31 PM   #18947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Very nice.

+1

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-08-2015, 10:02 PM   #18948
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW and I noticed that the seafood joint across the street was having an AUCE shrimp special, so that was dinner. Our next door neighbor, a nice kid (mid 20s) was waiting tables there. He wasn't our waiter, but it wasn't too busy so we talked some. I knew he was graduating college soon. Turns out it's this Sat. Along with going to school, he has a pool cleaning business, works at the restaurant, and does a third occasional job as a wine server at a local boutique owned by a friend of ours. probably why we don't see him too often.

Turns out he's paid his own way through college, although it's taken him 5 1/2 years as opposed to 4. I didn't know anybody did (or even could do) that anymore. I did, but that was almost 40 years ago. He had a small scholarship, but not a penny in loans. The rest was on his own dime. I am truly impressed. Plus, he's got a tremendous positive attitude and seems like a genuinely nice guy.

He's going to continue busting his hump for the next year, saving as much as he can, before moving away and starting his life and adventures. We may do some kayaking together, although I'm not sure I can keep up with him. And if I can find something to hire him for I'll try to add to his stash. It makes me feel good that there are still people out there willing to take responsibility and make things happen for themselves. I was starting to thing we had devolved into a country of prima donnas, worried about micro-aggressions and looking for a free ride for everything. Hooray!
Old 12-09-2015, 06:58 AM   #18949

Last night: Get on your 80s, Big Bam Boom, Rock 'n Soul. Hall & Oates!

All the tunes you know, including the final encore - Jingle Bell Rock!

Old 12-09-2015, 07:05 PM   #18950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I flew a cancer patient and his caregiver from UCLA up to his home in Santa Barbara. By plane it took less than an hour, as opposed to at least 2 hours by car and the additional stress.
I enjoy doing this to help others.
That's pretty cool.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:09 PM   #18951

Once again my beach walk didn't happen because of super high tides... but it was cool to look at from the other side of the sea wall and from the parking lot at Scripps UCSD (where I could walk by surface street without getting wet.)

Baked sicilian almond cookies for a cookie exchange tomorrow.

Tonight I'm off to see Nick Lowe with my ex-office Husband. (A friend/former coworker that shared an office, had a lab bench next to mine, etc for over a decade... ) Don't worry, DH knows him, likes him, and knows it's platonic. Even my kids refer to him as my office husband when they see him.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:23 PM   #18952

Got the replacement lockset I ordered for my roll top desk. The original lock is one of the dumbest designs I have ever seen. There was no unlocked position. It was always locked so that if I closed the roll top I had to have the key to open it again. Amazon had a lockset with an unlocked position for about $20 so I installed that. No more than got done with that and had a phone call from a person that wanted my old drop front secretary as a desk for his kid so I gave it to him and he hauled it away.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:48 AM   #18953
Give me a forum ...

Played golf the last couple of days. Nice to be able to play in shorts this time of the year. I'm headed to the beach for a week later this morning. Going to be good getting away for a few days.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:26 AM   #18954

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Tonight I'm off to see Nick Lowe
It was a great show. The audience was amusing to me. Bunch of old farts (myself included)... some decked out in their finest 1980's styled finest duds. (I opted for jeans and a t-shirt... appropriate for the very casual venue.)

You know you're old when you go see a concert and the entire crowd is in their 50's and up... Lots of white hair and balding heads. Didn't stop us from enjoying the tunes.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:18 AM   #18955

Loaded up on walnut and curly maple to build my architect's table. Took DW on a mega shopping spree.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:54 AM   #18956

Don't forget to take pictures of the antique-style table as it progresses.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:40 PM   #18957
Give me a forum ...

I decorated the Christmas tree today . There is something about seeing the ornaments collected through many years that made me smile .Tonight we are going to my SO's three year old granddaughter's Christmas play . I might be just getting in the Holiday mood after all.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:56 PM   #18958
Give me a forum ...

I went to see my doctor yesterday, and saw the recent blood test results. Everything was good, except for blood glucose of 102. Uh oh! I have had it that high a few years ago, but then let down my guard and it is coming back.

So, I am cutting down on carb starting today. I do not drink soda, nor eat sweets or dessert, but eat too much bread, rice, and pasta. I am not going carbless, only cut down on it. I already eat tons of vegetable. They say red meat is not good, so I will eat more nuts, dairy products, eggs, fish, etc...
Old 12-10-2015, 12:58 PM   #18959
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
They say red meat is not good.
Nonsense! It's delicious!
Old 12-10-2015, 07:49 PM   #18960
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Nonsense! It's delicious!

I forgot to say "bad for one's health", not his palate.

PS. Just bake myself a piece of wild salmon. Just some olive oil, salt, and pepper, then squeezed lemon juice at the end. Delicious.