Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 11:08 AM   #18981
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We watched the lighted boat parade & fireworks. Pretty nice show.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (57.6 KB, 20 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2015, 04:42 PM   #18982

Found a cool little bakery. On the sign inside was featured "vanilla bean bacon ice cream" so who could resist?

Warm crumbled bacon atop ice cream. Very good!
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1450050132.483437.jpg
Old 12-13-2015, 04:50 PM   #18983

Mmmm, bacon!!!

Sang in three Christmas choral performances today - two lessons and carols services at our church followed by Bach's Weihnachts Oratorium (in German) with a local college choir (they have a community singers group that joins in for their major works). All with orchestra, so it was a wonderfully musical day!

Now I'm way behind on lots of things, but I'm having a glass of wine before I start trying to catch up.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:00 PM   #18984

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Found a cool little bakery. On the sign inside was featured "vanilla bean bacon ice cream" so who could resist?

Warm crumbled bacon atop ice cream. Very good!
Attachment 22742
That sounds as disgusting as maple icing on raised doughnuts with bacon sprinkles tastes.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:01 PM   #18985
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I found the Drivers License Bureau, place had moved. Too bad not too many people knew where it was and it tended to be underutilized. Now it's being utilized, an hour wait to get the lens required restriction removed from my driver's license. Eye test was a breeze and I got to reduce the weight on my license by the 50 pounds I lost too.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:33 PM   #18986
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I found the Drivers License Bureau, place had moved. Too bad not too many people knew where it was and it tended to be underutilized. Now it's being utilized, an hour wait to get the lens required restriction removed from my driver's license. Eye test was a breeze and I got to reduce the weight on my license by the 50 pounds I lost too.
That's great! Sorry you had to battle the crowds.

Now you need some non-prescription, super cool sunglasses to wear while driving. Summer will be here before you know it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 12-15-2015, 04:39 PM   #18987
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Mmmm, bacon!!!

Sang in three Christmas choral performances today - two lessons and carols services at our church followed by Bach's Weihnachts Oratorium (in German) with a local college choir (they have a community singers group that joins in for their major works). All with orchestra, so it was a wonderfully musical day!

Now I'm way behind on lots of things, but I'm having a glass of wine before I start trying to catch up.
Very jealous. We sang several particularly uninspired Rutter arrangements of Christmas music. I'd give my right pinky toe to sing some Bach.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:45 PM   #18988
Full time employment: Posting here.

Worked job #1 in the morning, including a fun and unexpected outing to verify a national food recall at some of our local grocery stores. (training a new co-worker, otherwise I'd just have made a few phone calls). Love getting out of the office.

Working job #2 this afternoon.... grading final projects. Grades due tomorrow morning. I'm asking myself, for the fifth year in a row, what idiot assigned all this homework...
Old 12-15-2015, 06:42 PM   #18989
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That's great! Sorry you had to battle the crowds.

Now you need some non-prescription, super cool sunglasses to wear while driving. Summer will be here before you know it.
I've been looking. Funny thing I never thought much about sunglasses other than getting magnetic clip ons. They were an evil necessity not anything to look forward to. I may enjoy this process.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:17 AM   #18990

Living/dining hardwood floor refinished. Took them less than a day-and-a-half. Looks awesome.

Baked cranberry walnut bread this week. Some to have, some to give away.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:42 PM   #18991

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
Living/dining hardwood floor refinished. Took them less than a day-and-a-half. Looks awesome.

Baked cranberry walnut bread this week. Some to have, some to give away.
Yeast bread or quick bread? One of my standards that I give to friends and neighbors this time of year is cranberry-walnut yeast bread. This year I had tons of pecans so I substituted them for the walnuts. I make gingerbread cake too. I can only find small bottles of molasses in our area but my sister found this large one at the local farmers market. I didn't realize there were different kinds of molasses. She found "blackstrap" molasses. I used it and when the cakes came out they were very black looking. Turns out that blackstrap has less of a sugar content and is darker in color. I had some friends taste them for me (I had made these with extra pepper for another friend and I'm not a pepper fan) before I used that molasses for other baking. They said it wasn't as sweet as my normal gingerbread cake but said it was still good.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:31 PM   #18992
Give me a forum ...

Best pizza crust ever, whole wheat came out perfect. Somehow I found provel cheese last week at grocery. Wow was that great.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:06 PM   #18993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I bought a 1992 Jeep Wrangler a few weeks back. I titled it to the kids camp. Got all the registration and insurance stuff straightened out last week. Caught a ride up to Denver yesterday and drove it back up to my place today. It has 192K miles on it, the brakes are weak, and the tires are bald. This is going to be a project car when I get the house completed. Something to do on cold winter days.
I took the Jeep to the local shop right after I got it down here. Just got it back today. The shop owner donated about $300 worth of repairs. I have an old set of tires that still have tread on them that will go on borrowed wheels for a while. The kids camp should have a pretty good running Jeep until I get time to start upgrading it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0991.jpg (587.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 12-16-2015, 06:12 PM   #18994
Moderator Emeritus

Good looking Jeep, Hermit! I wish I still had mine, but DW gave me the ultimatum - either the Jeep or the truck, not both. And I sold the Jeep. That was a bad day.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:18 PM   #18995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Good looking Jeep, Hermit! I wish I still had mine, but DW gave me the ultimatum - either the Jeep or the truck, not both. And I sold the Jeep. That was a bad day.
Thanks Ronstar. It should be fun to fix up/restore/mod. It also gives the camp a vehicle they need.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:45 PM   #18996
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Had a gumline filling.
Very difficult for dentist and myself.
If not better in a week or so will need root canal.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 12-17-2015, 04:55 PM   #18997

I drove the Jeep out to the Ranch this afternoon. Did a 360 going around a tight, icy curve. That was exciting! Its not only tight, but also quite steep. The lady that cooks for the camp rolled her car on that curve a couple years ago. Fortunately for me, there was a very tall row of plowed snow all along the side that drops off. The real problem is the tires are bald. We are going to replace the tires and wheels with ones from a new type of Jeep. Just needed to get the Jeep back to the Ranch and out of the mechanic's parking area.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:03 PM   #18998

I flew a patient from San Luis Obispo CA to his appointment in the LA area. I fly for Angel Flight West as a volunteer pilot.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:34 PM   #18999

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Yeast bread or quick bread? One of my standards that I give to friends and neighbors this time of year is cranberry-walnut yeast bread.
I misspoke. I should have said I made chopped "craisin" walnut (no knead) yeast bread as an experiment. And, I accidentally used instant yeast instead of active yeast. It was so good I've made it again.

DH makes the cranberry quick bread (recipe on the back of the cranberry bag). He grates lemon peel instead of orange peel, and he leaves out the eggs which makes it more dense, but that's the way he likes it.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:21 PM   #19000

Sorry to hear about your tooth, Khan - hope the filling does the trick.

Glad to hear you didn't suffer anything more than an accelerated heart rate, Hermit. Better stay off that road until the tires are replaced.

Spent the morning in line. First to the DMV to get my driver's license replaced (I think I dropped it on a downtown street last night when I got something else out of my pocket and didn't notice until I got home). Then to the PO to priority mail two Christmas packages. Finally went to the pet store to get some of their "homemade" dog biscuits. No problem getting there, but traffic was backed up more than a mile on the way home, yuck.

Down at the adaptive gym with DH now - we got a late start so we'll have horrible traffic going home, but it's the first day this week I've been able to drive him here so it's worth it. Planning to grill stuffed pork chops for dinner and wrap the gifts for under the tree.
Closed Thread