Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 02:58 PM   #19021

Mutton has a stronger flavor than lamb, but I like it too. When I was young we had it often when my grandmother was cooking. FWIW, mutton is supposed to be much higher in Omega-3 fatty acids than any other kind of meat --nearly the same level as deep sea oily fish. That's a good thing, health wise.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2015, 03:42 PM   #19022
Recycles dryer sheets

Just finished texturing a new sewing room for DW with all her embroidery machines and cutting tables. Sanding muddy and perf taping during the holidays suck! I pray the new sewing room turns out good!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-21-2015, 10:02 PM   #19023
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Mutton has a stronger flavor than lamb, but I like it too. When I was young we had it often when my grandmother was cooking. FWIW, mutton is supposed to be much higher in Omega-3 fatty acids than any other kind of meat --nearly the same level as deep sea oily fish. That's a good thing, health wise.
I like lamb, and have not had mutton. I guess some dishes that call for braising with fennel, wine, or cinnamon would work well to reduce the gaminess. And about omega-3 fat contents, would that be due to the animals being grass-fed, instead of being corn-fed like US beef?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-22-2015, 05:14 AM   #19024

Not sure, but apparently it's the makeup of the fat, due to the sheep's metabolism.
Quote:
2007 Australian research shows that mutton, of all meats compared in the trials (again excluding fish) is closest to the ideal 1:1, having a ratio of 2:1, compared to chicken at 8:1, and pork at 7:1.
(referring to the ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3)
Much Ado About Mutton, by Bob Kennard
Old 12-22-2015, 10:03 AM   #19025
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
I really don't like lamb myself because of the gamey taste, but my son in law likes it. Now that I know have mutton and not a young lamb, I'm biting my nails for Christmas Eve.

I'm sure it will be delicious, but I think I would have an alternate maindish on the table too. Just in cases. Not everyone is as big a fan as Miracle Max.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:17 AM   #19026
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I'm sure it will be delicious, but I think I would have an alternate maindish on the table too. Just in cases. Not everyone is as big a fan as Miracle Max.

Good idea! My daughter is vegan so I also will have an Indian garbanzo bean curry thing. Maybe I should make a double batch!

Old 12-22-2015, 10:54 AM   #19027

I declared my plow truck broken and took it in to the shop yesterday. When I am pushing a pile of snow uphill something in the front drive train catches and then pops loose with a loud "bang". I'm hoping it is a U-joint. After I get moved into my house, I will be able to look at this kind of thing myself, but I refuse to crawl under a truck outside in the dirt in the middle of the winter. Been there. Done that. I don't need to do that anymore.

There were a lot of requests for plowing last week. Quite a few people want to come up around Christmas and New Year and enjoy the Holidays up here. I'm hoping we don't get too much snow before I get the truck back, but the weather doesn't look promising.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:04 AM   #19028

Just returned from a grocery store run. We are under a winter storm watch for up to 9 inches of snow. I may be inside for a couple of days. Looked like everyone had the same idea; the store was full of people.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:36 PM   #19029
Give me a forum ...

Workout, breakfest, figure skating then coffee. On the way back home, top down Air condition On, temp 67F in SW PA. Just kidding about the top down bit, my car is a hardtop, but the windows were open.

Next few days are scheduled to be warm and rainy.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:59 PM   #19030
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
Good idea! My daughter is vegan so I also will have an Indian garbanzo bean curry thing. Maybe I should make a double batch!
Yum. Chana curry and mutton - a most excellent combination, which tastes even better the next day.
Locksets
Old 12-22-2015, 02:08 PM   #19031

Locksets

I just replaces the 2 locksets on the front and side doors along with the deadbolts. The originals were 7 years old and cheap crap. The side door ones went on without a problem, using the existing holes. The front ones were about an eighth of an inch too high, so I had to widen the holes.
Than I went to the market to pick up 3 ducks we are cooking for Xmas dinner.
I am now going to take a nap!
Old 12-22-2015, 02:34 PM   #19032

We have a two car garage with individual doors. I noticed when we moved in several months ago that the vinyl seals on the bottom of the garage doors were not only old, stiff, and worn out, but also too short. They were at least a few inches short of reaching the edge of the doors on both sides, so there were gaps where insects or even a mouse might be able to get inside.

Bought new seals at Home Depot and replaced them. About 15 minutes each and not a big deal (I checked technique out on YouTube beforehand).

Then grilled a couple of nice pork tenderloins that had been marinating for the last couple of days. Outstanding!
Old 12-22-2015, 03:25 PM   #19033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
Just returned from a grocery store run. We are under a winter storm watch for up to 9 inches of snow.
You have my sympathies. We lucked out - forecast is for 72 Thursday and 63 on Christmas day.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:34 PM   #19034
Give me a forum ...

Rained all day and forecast to be in the 60s on Thursday and mid 40s on Christmas Day. Looks like we'll be having the first green Christmas in 9 years.

To add insult, I'm sure that the dirt road for the last mile to our house will get soft and muddy just in time for our guests for Christmas dinner. Luckily, 4 of the 5 vehicles coming for Christmas dinner are AWD.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 12-22-2015, 05:48 PM   #19035
Give me a forum ...

Had a molar extracted by my oral surgeon, which both gave him quite a physical workout, and began the preparations for my next dental implant. He also did a bone graft.

Tonight I am on Vicodin and flying higher than Rudolph, a very rare occurrence in recent years.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 12-22-2015, 06:24 PM   #19036

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Rained all day and forecast to be in the 60s on Thursday and mid 40s on Christmas Day. Looks like we'll be having the first green Christmas in 9 years.

To add insult, I'm sure that the dirt road for the last mile to our house will get soft and muddy just in time for our guests for Christmas dinner. Luckily, 4 of the 5 vehicles coming for Christmas dinner are AWD.
Looks like a few inches of snow for Christmas here.
what did you do today?
Old 12-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #19037
Moderator Emeritus

what did you do today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
We have a two car garage with individual doors. I noticed when we moved in several months ago that the vinyl seals on the bottom of the garage doors were not only old, stiff, and worn out, but also too short. They were at least a few inches short of reaching the edge of the doors on both sides, so there were gaps where insects or even a mouse might be able to get inside.

Bought new seals at Home Depot and replaced them. About 15 minutes each and not a big deal (I checked technique out on YouTube beforehand).

Then grilled a couple of nice pork tenderloins that had been marinating for the last couple of days. Outstanding!

I gotta get a new garage door seal asap. Mine is scrunched so that there's a gap under part of the door. I caught a mouse in the garage a few days ago that easily could have crawled in under the door seal.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:52 AM   #19038

W2R - hope the pain from your tooth procedure is better today (I don't enjoy Vicodin or anything like it so it doesn't sound like fun to me).

I have a few gifts left to wrap and then will bring the RV over to load for our quick trip to see DH's family in Houston tomorrow. We're having our immediate family "nice" Christmas dinner tonight - crab cakes FedEx'd in from MD (gift from my sister) and apple strudel for dessert (if I get it made this afternoon). I had proposed that we also open gifts tonight, but DD objected, so we'll do that on Saturday when we get home. In return, she agreed to fix supper (butternut squash soup) because I am tired and cranky after driving back.

Looking forward to introducing Skittles to the extended family - unfortunately, it will be a little warm for his Christmas sweater - high of 82 forecast for Thursday and Friday. No white Christmas for us!
Old 12-23-2015, 09:20 AM   #19039
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, MBAustin. Little to no pain this morning so far, so no more Vicodin. Hopefully I am done with them but I am not throwing them out quite yet, just in case.

Normally I don't take even take OTC pain killers, but yesterday taking the prescribed Vicodin was more or less necessary. It worked really well.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 12-23-2015, 09:24 AM   #19040
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Had a molar extracted by my oral surgeon, which both gave him quite a physical workout, and began the preparations for my next dental implant. He also did a bone graft.

Tonight I am on Vicodin and flying higher than Rudolph, a very rare occurrence in recent years.
Ow. Hope you are feeling a little better. I had a cleaning earlier this month and my longtime dentist referred me to a periodontist for a root canal because he no longer feels comfortable doing it (he has done several for me over the years). I think he will be retiring soon so I have a new dentist lined up for early 2016 and I think she will find a lot of things to work on, so send any leftover Vicodin up this way as I may need it!