Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 09:37 AM   #19041
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Ow. Hope you are feeling a little better. I had a cleaning earlier this month and my longtime dentist referred me to a periodontist for a root canal because he no longer feels comfortable doing it (he has done several for me over the years). I think he will be retiring soon so I have a new dentist lined up for early 2016 and I think she will find a lot of things to work on, so send any leftover Vicodin up this way as I may need it!
Thank you!

Sorry to hear that you are in for more dental work. I hope your new dentist is younger so she won't (also) retire on you soon!

I don't normally take Vicodin but it seemed like a reasonable person would under the circumstances. It seems to work very well for pain, along with providing some entertainment and distraction from pain due to being high.

I am not experiencing any pain this morning, so I didn't take any more Vicodin. Smooth foods are easier then other foods right now. I haven't tried "real food" yet but the surgeon's instructions say that I can, at my own pace, today. This morning I didn't feel adventuresome so I had some lukewarm cream of wheat for breakfast.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2015, 09:50 AM   #19042
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Sorry to hear that you are in for more dental work. I hope your new dentist is younger so she won't (also) retire on you soon!
She is thirty years younger than I am so unless she reads these forums and has the RE bug I should be good for a while! Glad you are feeling a little better.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:30 PM   #19043
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Made a grocery store and liquor store run.
Normal 3 mile morning walk.
Laundry on line.
80F, way above average.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 12-24-2015, 03:45 PM   #19044
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Xmas duck

DW and I set up an assembly line to prepare 4 ducks for roasting tomorrow.
I cleaned the ducks, saved the livers, and then DW, using one of my Xacto knives scored the skin. Each one was then put into a roasting pan on a rack.They go in the fridge overnight, and into the oven at 8:30 tomorrow morning.
The cooking is a 4 hour process, turning the duck every hour. We then take them to son's house where we will glaze them and finish the process.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:05 PM   #19045

I took a long walk to take advantage of our unseasonably warm and balmy weather. This afternoon I baked peanut butter blossom cookies to take to a friend's house for dessert tomorrow. I'll also take a nut roll that my cousin gave me yesterday. She bakes them with a group of ladies at her church to sell for Christmas.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:36 PM   #19046

He: A trip to the store for more cranberries and lemons. Four loaves of cranberry bread. A little nap. A little woodworking.

She: Two loaves of artisan bread with Italian herbs. Organizing papers. A little photo organizing.

Other miscellaneous puttering.

Yesterday I uploaded a hundred previously scanned old photos at GrooveBook - Your Photos Revolutionized. They'll be printed and shipped for $2.99 plus tax as part of a monthly subscription program. If they turn out nicely, I'll post it to the superior products thread.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:09 PM   #19047
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
He: A trip to the store for more cranberries and lemons. Four loaves of cranberry bread. A little nap. A little woodworking.

She: Two loaves of artisan bread with Italian herbs. Organizing papers. A little photo organizing.

Other miscellaneous puttering.

Yesterday I uploaded a hundred previously scanned old photos at GrooveBook - Your Photos Revolutionized. They'll be printed and shipped for $2.99 plus tax as part of a monthly subscription program. If they turn out nicely, I'll post it to the superior products thread.
Thanks for the tip on Groovebook!
Old 12-24-2015, 08:46 PM   #19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Thanks for the tip on Groovebook!
You're welcome. Saw it awhile back on Shark Tank. A follow-up segment showed they were later acquired by Shutterfly, I think. Anyway, you can probably look up their story on YouTube. It didn't hurt that the couple was already in the digital printing business. But the breakthrough was the design of the semi-circle cut-out in the spine of the photo book that made it "bendable" in the eyes of the post office - dramatically slashing the postage to ship.

I love hearing stories of entrepreneurs and inventors.

One tip - if you want to work on your book or adjust the photos in it before "closing" it and sending it to print, upload no more than 99 pictures to begin with. The minute you hit 100 total pictures, the app sends the book into production, even if you are not yet to that month's deadline.

Let us know if you use it.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:24 PM   #19049

Yesterday - prepped and cooked 7 different fish dishes (actually - I did 3, DH did 3, and we had shrimp as the 7th.) It's a southern Italian tradition that is more popular in the US than in Italy to have 7 fish dishes on Christmas eve. We had friends and extended family over - 8 for the main meal - joined by the after-church crowd for desert. Picture below of 4 of the fishes (cous cous con pesce, clams in a wine broth, pink snapper with fennel, and baked scallops). The other 3 fishes were consumed as appetizers (Bagna Cauda - discovered by me on this forum, salmon pizza, and a shrimp platter.)

Today we opened presents and I baked 2 pecan pies to take to my sister's house for dinner (she has 14 people total - so 1 pie was not enough.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151224_185128.jpg (558.0 KB, 27 views)
Old 12-26-2015, 06:28 AM   #19050
Give me a forum ...

Upgraded 2 PCs from Linux Mint 17.1 to 17.3. Fifteen minutes for the full upgrade, did not need to reboot. Linux just works.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:44 PM   #19051

DD, who climbs at a rock gym near here home in DE, took me to a local rock gym. She belayed me a few times on a top-rope climb and we did some bouldering. I tired pretty quickly, but it was fun. My upper body is wore out and shaking. I know I'll be sore tomorrow.

I might incorporate climbing into my exercise routine, at least for the winter when I can't kayak or paddle board. It must be good for you-- there were no flabby people at the rock gym.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:21 AM   #19052
Full time employment: Posting here.

After spending Christmas with my brother's family in west Texas, I drove back to NM yesterday to try to beat the winter storm that is heading east. Otherwise I would have been snowbound in Texas until Tuesday. Went the southern route as I-40 into ABQ was sure to be closed and am staying with a friend in Las Cruces. It was raining when I got to El Paso and snowing by the time I got out of town 35 miles later with bad roads. Seven inches of snow in Las Cruces and beautiful! All her cactus have big clumps of snow on them.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:23 AM   #19053
Moderator Emeritus

Started running after a 4 year layoff. 3 miles wasn't too bad. Training for a marathon 11 months out.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:14 PM   #19054

Dealing with the "NM Blizzard of 2015" yesterday and today. Was about 6 inches when I went to bed last night. Have about 17-20 inches of snow so far and some still falling, supposed to blow out by end of today. Here is a pic showing some of it and closeup of the yardstick. I will fire up the tractor and clear the driveway later today, this is middle of driveway where not so much drifts. Lot of strong winds, but seems to around the 17-20 inches total at my house.

Driveway:

Closeup of driveway yardstick:

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
Old 12-27-2015, 02:06 PM   #19055

I feel for ya with the snow. We lucked out - 75° F today, but back to normal - low forties - next week.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:09 PM   #19056
Administrator

Went to the beach yesterday. Went to the beach again today.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:26 PM   #19057
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Went to the beach yesterday. Went to the beach again today.
It's a tough life!

It's 79F here and pleasant today. No beach, but I love shorts weather like this.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 12-27-2015, 02:42 PM   #19058
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
It's a tough life!

It's 79F here and pleasant today. No beach, but I love shorts weather like this.
Tough indeed. Very demanding, but this is DW's preferred pastime so I make the extra effort.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:29 PM   #19059

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Dealing with the "NM Blizzard of 2015" yesterday and today. Was about 6 inches when I went to bed last night. Have about 17-20 inches of snow so far and some still falling, supposed to blow out by end of today. Here is a pic showing some of it and closeup of the yardstick. I will fire up the tractor and clear the driveway later today, this is middle of driveway where not so much drifts. Lot of strong winds, but seems to around the 17-20 inches total at my house.
Wow, don't envy you at all. We're having a mild winter so far this year and I'm hoping we stay that way. I usually don't mind our winters but for some reason I'm not looking forward to the snow. Did it stop snowing yet?
Old 12-28-2015, 09:28 AM   #19060

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Wow, don't envy you at all. We're having a mild winter so far this year and I'm hoping we stay that way. I usually don't mind our winters but for some reason I'm not looking forward to the snow. Did it stop snowing yet?
Stopped snowing in late afternoon, but the storm is heading east. I-40 was closed from Albuquerque all the way to and through TX and into OK. Still not open heading east from ABQ yet today, a *lot* of semi trucks stacked up parked on I-40. I am sure there are some not so happy drivers and deliveries. There is just nowhere for them to park, and since I-40 is closed they are just lined up in the traffic lanes. They say it may not even get open today, and even if it did it would just get stuck again in TX and OK.

I plowed my driveway, took 2.5 hours between mostly tractor and some shoveling. My driveway is 400 ft and then a big area at top by house. Normal snow levels it takes a little over 1 hour, so this was double that time. Finished right as sun was going down.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
Closed Thread