Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 02:43 PM   #19061
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Stopped snowing in late afternoon, but the storm is heading east. I-40 was closed from Albuquerque all the way to and through TX and into OK. Still not open heading east from ABQ yet today, a *lot* of semi trucks stacked up parked on I-40. I am sure there are some not so happy drivers and deliveries. There is just nowhere for them to park, and since I-40 is closed they are just lined up in the traffic lanes. They say it may not even get open today, and even if it did it would just get stuck again in TX and OK.

I plowed my driveway, took 2.5 hours between mostly tractor and some shoveling. My driveway is 400 ft and then a big area at top by house. Normal snow levels it takes a little over 1 hour, so this was double that time. Finished right as sun was going down.

No thanks!

...not doing anything of true substance...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2015, 04:59 PM   #19062
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
I plowed my driveway, took 2.5 hours between mostly tractor and some shoveling. My driveway is 400 ft and then a big area at top by house. Normal snow levels it takes a little over 1 hour, so this was double that time. Finished right as sun was going down.
That's a long time with a plow. We have a big snow blower and the driveway is double wide 100 feet long and shaped like a question mark. I can't seem to make myself stop once I start. I want to get the job done so I keep going. I hate when it starts getting dark and I've got the headlights on and overhead drive lights. Plus the handles and levers are made for "man hands" so I have a hard time reaching everything. Is this normal snowfall for your area? I did not realize you got that much snow.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:31 AM   #19063

Had my annual physical this morning. All is well, but I was amused at the doc's comment: "Your cholesterol is very elevated, but I don't suppose you want to do anything about that."

He knows me well. Been seeing the same doc for over 20 years and we have a great relationship.

For anyone who might be concerned about this, I should add that the only two "cholesterol" numbers I care about are HDL and triglycerides. The former is always high, the latter always low, so I don't worry. I think they matter, the other measurements not so much.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:02 AM   #19064

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
That's a long time with a plow. We have a big snow blower and the driveway is double wide 100 feet long and shaped like a question mark. I can't seem to make myself stop once I start. I want to get the job done so I keep going. I hate when it starts getting dark and I've got the headlights on and overhead drive lights. Plus the handles and levers are made for "man hands" so I have a hard time reaching everything. Is this normal snowfall for your area? I did not realize you got that much snow.
My tractor is not real big, a compact chassis Kubota. However it does pretty good with a blade on the back. Biggest problem with this storm was the snow was so much i had to keep pushing off to the side further off edge of driveway, since I could not just roll it over the side. Time also included some hand shoveling around my gate, but I would say 2 hours of tractor work. The 20 inches is not typical, but 8-12 inches in a storm is pretty common 2-3 times in a year; along with several smaller amounts. My house is at 7100 ft, so I do get a lot more snow than lower elevation Albuquerque (~5300 ft).

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
Old 12-29-2015, 02:42 PM   #19065

Returns day. First took DD to the airport at 5:30 am for her return flight. Then boxed up the gifts she couldn't take on the plane/subway and took them to FedEx. Went to the mall to return a coat DH had bought for me in the wrong size. Then to another shopping center to return the jacket I bought for DH that she didn't like. Stopped at the grocery store to get some protein for the next few days - will make pork chops with apples tonight and veal saltimbocca tomorrow (the veal was on special).
Old 12-29-2015, 02:45 PM   #19066

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Went to the beach yesterday. Went to the beach again today.
Me too - but it's cold here. It was 39 degrees when I went walking on the beach this morning at 7am. Fortunately, the cold front has moved through - should be in the 70's by tomorrow afternoon.

I needed to warm up after the walk - so I made homemade scones.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:21 PM   #19067
Give me a forum ...

Watched a pair of contractors install a new triple pane low E Marvin picture window that DW wanted for the past ten years.

I think paying them for the job was the best part of my labor.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:59 PM   #19068
Give me a forum ...

Celebrated the snow by doing absolutely nothing. Did watch the Bronco's win in OT last night - durn!

Ok ok shoveled the sidewalk - not very big and went to the local store to get Cafe Suisse coffee since our ordinary Dunking Doughnuts grind were 'ordinary' all seasons stuff.

heh heh heh - even the dog(a Pug) declined his usual morning walk.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:40 PM   #19069

Just got back from skiing at Aspen, CO on Snowmass Mountain. Two days of skiing with a couple of other 60 somthings. They are relatives of the late DW. They were in better shape than I. I did OK until the second afternoon when I made one too many runs when I was tired and did a major crash and burn. Only two things were hurt - my pride and I broke my helmet. I really smacked the ground hard with my head and from past experience many years ago, it was supposed to really hurt. It didn't. That helmet really did its job. I bought another one on the way home.

Great skiing, by the way.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:03 PM   #19070
Give me a forum ...

The contractors installed 2 14" diameter solar tubes in the kitchen. Another one of DW's long standing wish. Another batch of money well spent. Working in a tight attic is a real PITA among other body parts.

They do brighten up the place.

Hopefully we are done with improvements for a while.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:17 PM   #19071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
...Only two things were hurt - my pride and I broke my helmet. I really smacked the ground hard with my head and from past experience many years ago, it was supposed to really hurt. It didn't. That helmet really did its job. I bought another one on the way home.
The heck with the pride and the skiing, how's your head? A smack hard enough to crack your helmet had to scramble your head.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:54 PM   #19072
Give me a forum ...

Got to stay out of pawn shops...
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1451534088.700323.jpg

Old 12-30-2015, 09:06 PM   #19073
Give me a forum ...

Sweet guitar!!!
Living the dream, man!

Old 12-30-2015, 09:14 PM   #19074
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Nice. I saw my email subscription, which gives the text, but not the image.

Before I opened the thread, I guessed - new guitar? OK, pretty easy guess!

Heck, what's a collection w/o a hollow-body, or two, (or three...).

-ERD50
Old 12-31-2015, 08:35 AM   #19075
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Nice! I've been looking for a new bass for down here in FL, so I don't have to haul them back and forth. Craigslist hasn't worked out so far, so maybe I'll try the pawnshops.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:18 AM   #19076
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Nice! I've been looking for a new bass for down here in FL, so I don't have to haul them back and forth. Craigslist hasn't worked out so far, so maybe I'll try the pawnshops.

The shops near me seem to always have a few, mostly Fender Squires or Ibanez and such.

For someone depending on an instrument for their livelihood, spending extra gets better hardware and electronics, but for plunking out bass parts for home recording, the lower end guitars and basses work fine. I have a First Act bass, the cheapy, Chinese brand that Walmart sells. Paid $50 for it; works fine for my purposes.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:30 AM   #19077

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
The heck with the pride and the skiing, how's your head? A smack hard enough to crack your helmet had to scramble your head.
That was what was great about the helmet. It didn't hurt at all. My neck is a little sore, but not bad. A clip on the adjustable band is what broke, not the shell. I was impressed with the effectiveness of the helmet. One of the guys I skied with just bought his first helmet that morning. He is an avid skier and has been skiing for over 40 years. I think he will be wearing the helmet from now on too.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:13 AM   #19078
Recycles dryer sheets

installed new Bosch dishwasher - and man! that baby is quiet.
Our old Maytag was 15 years old and we had to run our dishwasher when we not going to be anywhere near it for an hour. Very easy install and impressed with build quality and features.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:17 PM   #19079
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post

Harley if you stop by here on your travels, you can probably have the acoustic bass I got for DH, to no avail. At least our roommate and friends can play music pretty well! Oh, and it came from a pawnshop.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:01 PM   #19080
Full time employment: Posting here.

Four people in my office are retiring today. I'm happy for them but envious, except for the guy who had 47 years of service.
Closed Thread