what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice Rolex.........ya know they don't keep good time though, right?? :)

Yes, but they sure look great! I love looking at them, but believe it or not Frank hasn't worn his in a long time and is thinking about selling it. It doesn't do him any good just collecting dust. But for those who want to wear them, there is nothing like a Rolex.

Not sure whether to post this here or in the Christmas present thread. DW and I were going through our usual quandary about what to buy each other for Christmas and she suggested that we buy something jointly that we'd both use. Her suggestion was to buy a flat screen TV, which makes sense only in that our Cathode Ray TV is 20 years old, but we only watch it about 3 hours a month when we watch Netflix DVDs. So, [-] like a fool[/-] I suggested that kitchen appliances might be a better purchase, though my long range plan was to buy year old ones off Craigslist. Bottom line, the new refrigerator is being delivered Saturday and we are looking for a gas range. Who says romance is dead?

Well, it wasn't today, it was a couple of days ago. I gave up trying to get the F..ing snow blower to work & shoveled the driveway. Then I went to see a friend in palliative care (she is only 10 years younger than me). Then I did a couple of other depressing things. Then I decided not to jump off the nearest bridge but to have another drink. I just came back from PV but need another warm vacation.

Sounds like a pretty depressing day. Sending you a clear blue sky to cheer you up. Awesome.jpg

Last night I set up the new Dell laptop computer, and transferring the files and programs from the older Toshiba to the new Dell was a piece of cake. After transferring them I used the reformat/restore disk that came with the Toshiba to return it to "as new" condition before giving it to Frank today. I was surprised that unlike Toshiba, Dell is too cheap to include a disk like that with the computer and requires the end user to make one instead.

Windows 7 has a lot of new improvements in comparison with Vista, and these are fun to explore.

I tracked down the source of all our mystery 'Is Rob there?' wrong numbers, and was treated to an interesting vocabulary lesson. (No, I'm not Rob.)

We've been getting 'wrong number' calls for a few months now, asking 'Is Rob there?' I just responded that "No, there's nobody by that name at this number" and let it go. This morning, I was curious as to who this was, so I responded with "May I ask who is calling?" The answer surprised me. It was a company named Integrity Financial Partners, which I googled and found to be some sort of debt collection agency. Anyway, I told the caller that there was no Rob at this number, and that since I did not have a business relationship with them, that they should stop calling.

I think we all know what happens now.

Tem minutes later, there's a call. "Is Rob there?" Oh, very funny. "Who is calling, please?" "Marisha with Integrity Financial Partners." "Well, Marisha, Rob isn't here, and I've already asked that your firm stop calling." "Listen, you ^#$^%$^%#$^%..." Um. Ooookay...

Hoo boy. It turns out debt collectors aren't covered by the Do Not Call list. Under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, though, they have to stop after receiving a written notice, except under very specific conditions. So, I've drafted a letter and posted it certified, return receipt requested. Future calls will be subject to statutory damages of $1000. I've also filed a complaint at the FTC website, for whatever that's worth.

I'll be waiting for their next call with the small claims court paperwork in hand.

And that's what I did today. So far...

It turns out debt collectors aren't covered by the Do Not Call list. Under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, though, they have to stop after receiving a written notice, except under very specific conditions.
Interesting. I was getting periodic robot calls from a debt collection agency about something owed by a deceased relative of mine. I took the easier course of telling my (relatively intelligent) phone to block calls from that number -- the robot always gets a busy signal. Haven't heard from them since.

I went shopping and bought clothes and shoes.

Some of you might think this a minor affair.

I really don't like it; and have to do it again tomorrow.

Don't know if you can imagine the trauma.

Fortunately was a Monday morning so not too bad.

I went shopping and bought clothes and shoes.

Some of you might think this a minor affair.

I really don't like it; and have to do it again tomorrow.

Don't know if you can imagine the trauma.

Fortunately was a Monday morning so not too bad.

My sympathies. Buy a lot. Then you won't have to do this again in a long while. :)

I tracked down the source of all our mystery 'Is Rob there?' wrong numbers, and was treated to an interesting vocabulary lesson. (No, I'm not Rob.)

We've been getting 'wrong number' calls for a few months now, asking 'Is Rob there?' I just responded that "No, there's nobody by that name at this number" and let it go. This morning, I was curious as to who this was, so I responded with "May I ask who is calling?" The answer surprised me. It was a company named Integrity Financial Partners, which I googled and found to be some sort of debt collection agency. Anyway, I told the caller that there was no Rob at this number, and that since I did not have a business relationship with them, that they should stop calling.

I think we all know what happens now.

Tem minutes later, there's a call. "Is Rob there?" Oh, very funny. "Who is calling, please?" "Marisha with Integrity Financial Partners." "Well, Marisha, Rob isn't here, and I've already asked that your firm stop calling." "Listen, you ^#$^%$^%#$^%..." Um. Ooookay...

Hoo boy. It turns out debt collectors aren't covered by the Do Not Call list. Under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, though, they have to stop after receiving a written notice, except under very specific conditions. So, I've drafted a letter and posted it certified, return receipt requested. Future calls will be subject to statutory damages of $1000. I've also filed a complaint at the FTC website, for whatever that's worth.

I'll be waiting for their next call with the small claims court paperwork in hand.

And that's what I did today. So far...
There a lot of those scam artists, check at:

http://800notes.com/

(No, I'm not Rob.)...
I used to get wrong numbers at work for the CEO of HP. I was amused and polite for a while. Then I started saying that he no longer worked here (this was before Hurd) and that he had been fired for various reasons. Pretty soon the calls stopped.

Now on to retirement, DW goes by Cardenas and we regularly get calls in Spanish and I refuse to acknowledge any knowledge of the language. Eventually they stop but there are many Cardenas deadbeats!!

Replied to PMs and emails.

Updated my journal, beneficiary forms, financial spreadsheets and death letters.

There's nothin' like having everything in place in case I kick the bucket.

Hmmm...I wonder how I'm gonna sleep tonight. :D....:blink:

This morning I did a practice run on the two-mile course for the taekwondo black-belt qualifier. Two years ago, the last time I did this, I was in the age 40-49 category and was allotted 22:30. (I don't remember how fast I ran it back then.) Today I'm in the "50 and over" category and I made it in 20:17. I'll run the real qualifier in the next weekend or two... as soon as they finish extrapolating their tables to figure out how much time I should get.

That was the first run I've done in two years, and I'm sure I could do better with practice, but it was enough. My knees have that subtle tibia meniscus pain & stiffness letting me know my cartilage is approaching minimum wall thickness. I've already ingested one 800-mg slug of ibuprofen and I'll have another one at bedtime so that I can roll over without whimpering. After the qualifier run I'll be back to ellipticals and swimming/surfing for a few more years. Spouse cheered me up by rattling off the names of 2-3 people who are younger/in poor condition and walk a lot worse than I do right now.

The bitter Hawaii winter weather is upon us. We must've had 2-3 inches of rain in the last couple days, and today spouse started shutting windows before 4 PM. She's actually wearing socks and drinking hot chocolate...

Went to a Comedy Show in Cocoa Village. Now I know what happens to has-been Cruise Comedians. All in all though it was pretty fun, he did the best he could with a rather slow audience (or maybe they heard him before). Couldn't beat the price....free.

Nords I feel the pain. I will be qualifying for my Wildlands Firefighter Red Card before the EOY. To be on the fireline I have to pass the arduous pack test. I have passed every year, and this year I turn 60. Last year I did the test in 43 mins.

Fitness Requirement Test Description

ARDUOUS Pack Test 3-mile hike with 45-lb. pack in 45 min.

The bitter Hawaii winter weather is upon us. We must've had 2-3 inches of rain in the last couple days, and today spouse started shutting windows before 4 PM. She's actually wearing socks and drinking hot chocolate...
We don't get any rain but the morning temp actually dropped below 70 so we had to wear footwear on the tile floors until 11am.:D

I've been working on the Christmas video, and I've got some fun stuff in it.

Woke up with interesting new pain.
Ran errands including shopping for trip. I hate shopping.
Laundry.

Woke up with interesting new pain.
Ran errands including shopping for trip. I hate shopping.
Laundry.

I know that the shopping is a real pain for you, but I bet you will look great with all that new snazzy stuff.

I did a year end review of my portfolio to see what funds can be consolidated and which can be left alone. I still have a few stragglers (under $5K each) that need to be consolidated, using my carryover TLH from last year to offset any potential cap gains. Destination: pssst VWINX :cool:

Cleaned up the kitchen sink and emptied the dishwasher while listening to Christmas songs on the radio, and did my holiday shopping online :clap: I am getting ready to make some homemade applesauce using the last 5 apples from a big bag bought during the fall harvest. :D
If my ambition level holds steady, I may have to get the tabletop tree and ornaments out of the attic and get going on decorating inside. Maybe...:LOL:

I'm keepin' my eye out for a possum today. I saw one in my backyard late last night. I'm used to fire ants, chiggers, birds, snakes, frogs and rabbits....but not one of those guys...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom