what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm keepin' my eye out for a possum today. I saw one in my backyard late last night. I'm used to fire ants, chiggers, birds, snakes, frogs and rabbits....but not one of those guys...

But they are so cute.

Pogo.JPG

Tried to donate blood. Seem to be running a fever. Hope I'm not coming down with something.

Ooops...almost forgot

I finally got a decent Shiitake harvest from my mushroom growing dome.

Look at what happened while I was away in MA for turkey day.
"The Shiitake That Ate East Nowhere" :LOL:

It grew and filled up half of the dome, hence the curved shape and rippled edges.
It was so big :blink:, I almost gave it a name. :cool:
It was so mature it dropped fresh spores onto the growth block, so I will get a bonus crop.

It's inevitable fate was to the griddle with olive oil and then used on homemade pizza made by Mr Boston. :D

Attachments

• monstershiitaketop.jpg
    monstershiitaketop.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 0
  • monstershiitakebottom.jpg
    monstershiitakebottom.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 0
  • monstershiitakefry.jpg
    monstershiitakefry.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 0
Nords I feel the pain. I will be qualifying for my Wildlands Firefighter Red Card before the EOY. To be on the fireline I have to pass the arduous pack test. I have passed every year, and this year I turn 60. Last year I did the test in 43 mins.

Fitness Requirement Test  Description

ARDUOUS Pack Test 3-mile hike with 45-lb. pack in 45 min.
How hilly is the course, and how rough is the footing? 15' miles with 45# up is tough enough even on the flat; really a big deal on hills!

Ha

I'm keepin' my eye out for a possum today. I saw one in my backyard late last night. I'm used to fire ants, chiggers, birds, snakes, frogs and rabbits....but not one of those guys...

You probably won't see it during the day - they're primarily nocturnal. They are one on the ugliest critters out there.

You probably won't see it during the day - they're primarily nocturnal.
Yeah...that fact occurred to me late this afternoon. I'm still gonna be on the watch out for a while 'cause it's a big 'un and has a lot of teeth. :eek:
They are one on the ugliest critters out there.
A face only a momma could love...

We have a winter snow storm warning until Tue 7PM. Time to put snow tires on, prep the snowblower. Off to the garage. Brooms and snow shovels by the doors, check. Wife in kitchen making chili, check.

Rearranged vehicles in the driveway and cleared out room in the garage to park 1 car out of the way of the snowplowing guy we hired.
My 92 Honda is parked in the yard just in case we need it over the winter. I was going to sell it, but it will serve as a good winter rat in case 1 of our cars needs major repairs. Cost to keep car registered, inspected and insured is less than $300 per year.

Forecast is snow, snow, snow, snow, and more snow. The Ontario lake effect machine is cranked right up.
http://www.9wsyr.com/content/weather/livedoppler9.aspx
Yellow is heaviest snowfall, green is medium, blue is lighter.

Tonight's culinary delight is French Canadian meat pie, a childhood favorite of Mr Boston. Ground pork, ground beef, mashed potatoes, chopped sweet white onion, Bell's seasoning, all mixed together and cooked in a double pastry. Mmmmmm....:D

Tonight's culinary delight is French Canadian meat pie, a childhood favorite of Mr Boston. Ground pork, ground beef, mashed potatoes, chopped sweet white onion, Bell's seasoning, all mixed together and cooked in a double pastry. Mmmmmm....:D
Oh, that sounds good! My winter comfort food, which I ate last night, is a mixture of sauteéd hamburger, onions, garlic, and muchrooms, covered in layers by sauteéd spinach, and some tomato sauce, then grated Emmentaler or Gruyére, then baked 30 minutes or so.

Aiiii!

Ha

Rearranged vehicles in the driveway and cleared out room in the garage to park 1 car out of the way of the snowplowing guy we hired.
My 92 Honda is parked in the yard just in case we need it over the winter. I was going to sell it, but it will serve as a good winter rat in case 1 of our cars needs major repairs. Cost to keep car registered, inspected and insured is less than $300 per year.

Forecast is snow, snow, snow, snow, and more snow. The Ontario lake effect machine is cranked right up.
Central New York Loop - NewsChannel 9 WSYR
Yellow is heaviest snowfall, green is medium, blue is lighter.

I recall lake effect. Not too much in the Hudson Valley, but great fun in Potsdam NY.

Finished mounting and wiring a solar panel for my motor home. It's just a small 10W panel the size of a small laptop. Its purpose is to keep the batteries in the charged state when the RV is parked, without the need for an extension cord to an AC outlet.

Then, I logged in to various accounts that were not accessible to Quicken to update my portfolio. It has recovered and surpassed the last high it set on 11/08. And that is even after losing some of my highest-beta stocks due to covered calls. Darn! Note that I never, ever said "wh**".

Attachments

• tortiere.jpg
    tortiere.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 2
Today I just about finished my Christmas shopping . Tomorrow we go tree shopping and despite having an awful head cold I have managed to decorate the house . I feel like the Christmas Grinch !

Spouse spent the entire day at the USS ARIZONA Memorial visitor's center showing people where to park, chatting with the survivors and other WWII veterans, sorting out the seating charts, and generally helping to reduce the confusion level. All the electronic gear showed up on time for the theaters and was installed & tweaked without (too much more) drama or crisis. Jake Shimabukuro performed along with some hula halau. Later that afternoon she got a free narrated boat tour around Ford Island, enjoying old memories of a couple commands there where we used to work.

I stayed home [-]bored, lonely, and unfulfilled[/-] loading up next week's blog posts, working on pushups/situps, cleaning/vacuuming, and paying the bills. Now that I have every [-]possible excuse[/-] thing else in the house taken care of I guess it's time to start the taxes and figure out a Roth IRA conversion. Here I go. Just a couple more threads.

Q: Why don't women make good carpenters?
A: Because all our lives we were told this (hold thumb and index finger 3 inches apart) is 6 inches.
:ROFLMAO:
I'm still confused about the dimensions... are we talking inner diameter or outer diameter?

Last edited:

same recipe that enjoyed eating as a child and it is what we eat on Christmas Eve. My sister can't get Bell's seasoning where she lives so I send her a little box each Christmas. Just in case you didn't get enough fat we used to eat it with gravy.

Today we read the paper and suddenly were overwhelmed with the ads and how much junk there is to buy. Spend the day at home reading library books, working on painting a room and some cleaning while the snowstorm raged outside. So glad we don't have to go anywhere in the morning.

Went visiting friends and family the last couple of days. The ground is white this morning. About an inch. Streamers from lake Huron are not quite reaching me. :) Friends in Grand Bend and London have 18 inches in the last 24 hours. Massive snow to the west, south and east of me. Chicken water is frozen. Rooster has never seen snow before. Funny.

I was looking for a different way to cook a roast (new enameled cast iron dutch oven). My go to research site is google. Wow, I clicked on a recipe and immediately got all kinds of warnings from my computer about infected site. Yikes! Accepted the option to remove it to the vault. Hmmm, how about another recipe...got the same threat warnings again...sent it to the vault. Not to be deterred, I clicked on another recipe...dang!...got the same set of threat warnings yet again...sent it to the vault. These were all different websites. I ran AVG's entire computer scan...no threats detected. I am currently running Malwarebytes most comprehensive scan. Guess I'll just use an old recipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom