Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 06:41 AM   #6281
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
No. Old Honda works perfectly. It has "one more year" syndrome!
So does my old 92 Accord. I was going to sell it for whatever I could get for it, but we decided it would serve as a good winter rat and keep the mileage down on Mr Boston's car plus minimize rust on both of our vehicles from the mountains of salt they use on the roads around here.

If congratulations on the j*b change are in order, here they are.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2010, 07:03 AM   #6282
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
If congratulations on the j*b change are in order, here they are.
I am guessing that it is too soon to tell?

But any change is probably celebrating.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:48 AM   #6283
Give me a forum ...

I slept in until 8 AM. Coffee was hand delivered, piping hot and perfectly "seasoned".

I checked my email at MSN and saw this picture. I've never seen the Canadian falls with the lights. WOW!
I'm not sure what the photo on the left is. Any guesses?

Old 12-08-2010, 07:52 AM   #6284
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I slept in until 8 AM. Coffee was hand delivered, piping hot and perfectly "seasoned".

I checked my email at MSN and saw this picture. I've never seen the Canadian falls with the lights. WOW!

Christmas lights along the Arc de Truimph (spelling) in Paris?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 12-08-2010, 08:40 AM   #6285
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Going to Central America today to be part of a medical mission there. Back in 10 days or so. Wish me good luck !
Stay safe and give us a report when you get back. Good luck!
Old 12-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #6286
Give me a forum ...

I used the ignore function to move what Nords aptly calls "one key pianos" out of my life. It really makes my life more enjoyable not to read their endless efforts to politicize every topic.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:59 AM   #6287
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Going to Central America today to be part of a medical mission there. Back in 10 days or so. Wish me good luck !
Good luck with your mission. I am envious of those with skills in the medical field who are able to do so much good when they volunteer. You must get a lot of personal satisfaction from your volunteering efforts.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:29 AM   #6288
Give me a forum ...

Shhhhh...be vewwy, vewwy quiet...I'm goin' possum huntin'...

Actually I'm going to get a live cage from the animal shelter and try to trap it. Once caught, they will pick the possum up and relocate it. While I'm at the shelter, I'm going to donate a kitty condo and a pet carrier.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #6289
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
.........Once caught, they will pick the possum up and relocate it. ..........
I'll watch for their truck.....
Old 12-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #6290
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I'll watch for their truck.....
Ok...that's one possum to Travelover, USA.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #6291
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Good luck!

Where in Central America?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 12-08-2010, 06:19 PM   #6292

Quote:
Good luck on your mission obgyn65. You are a wonderful person to be doing this.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:43 PM   #6293
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Ok...that's one possum to Travelover, USA.
I'll light the oven and start some sweet taters cookin'.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:44 PM   #6294

Spent the morning in recertification for 1st responder & CPR, required for work, so at least they paid for the class and time. Hard to stay awake, been certified in one form or another since 1971.

Set a new record in spending at the grocery store since I hadn't been there for 3 weeks and we were out of almost everything. The most critical shortage, of course, was TP.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #6295
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

L'avenue des Champs Elysees, Paris, France, with L'Arc du Triomphe in the background.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:10 PM   #6296
Give me a forum ...

It so happened that I snapped a similar photo the last time we were there, near Xmas. My picture was later at night and was not as good.

Looking down Avenue des Champs-Élysées to the East, I snapped the following photo of Luxor Obelisk.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-09-2010, 08:14 AM   #6297
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Spent an hour yesterday picking up our FM3 renewals. That makes 2 hours in total and 5780 pesos in fees. This yearly ritual is required so we can leave our foreign-plated car legally in Mexico. It is also required if we want to stay here continuously for more than 6 months, a lesser restriction.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:36 AM   #6298
Full time employment: Posting here.

Finished my Christmas shopping. Bought dog, cat and chicken feed to last past January 15th. Should be past the shopping rush by then. Only store I have to go in is a grocery.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:52 PM   #6299
Moderator Emeritus

Been a busy few days around here, but it's finally slowed down a little.

Spouse spent three consecutive days volunteering at the opening of the USS ARIZONA Memorial's new visitor's center and the remembrance ceremony. Everything went great until the very end, when someone left their Grandpa's medical oxygen bottles in a duffle bag in a dark corner of the brand-spankin'-new museum. Heavily-armed Navy Security & EOD showed up in a RHIB at the boat landing about five minutes after the bomb threat was called away, and they were not amused. Luckily the survivors were already at their lunch, most of the crowd had moved on to other activities, and ops returned to normal after a couple hours.

So far this week I've completed the black belt test qualifiers of 100 pushups in two minutes and 100 situps in two minutes. They were more exciting than I expected because we didn't get to them until the end of class after I'd run out of gas we'd already finished the "warmup", forms, kicking, and other activities. But I made it and they're done. Saturday morning I'm doing the two-mile run in under 22:30. After this year I'm literally off the charts, but I think I can continue to meet that pace. The actual black-belt test is in February.

Our daughter called this morning from college needing neither money nor paperwork-- just an hour of hearing our voices advice. She's been studying for finals for six straight days, the calculus final didn't go as well as she hoped, and she's contemplating the one-two punch of physics & chemistry early next week. She'll work it out. The NROTC lieutenants are all over her about the wonders of "command at sea" and "nuclear submarines". She'll also be home in just 6.5 days for some long-overdue surfing, so I'm looking forward to a number of interesting conversations...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I used the ignore function to move what Nords aptly calls "one key pianos" out of my life. It really makes my life more enjoyable not to read their endless efforts to politicize every topic.
Lately I've been applying that same function to a few "content-free" posters...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #6300

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65
My daughter in nursing school at UCLA is leaving tomorrow for the same thing in Honduras. Maybe you'll run into each other! Today is her last day of finals!
Closed Thread