Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #6521
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Made the best-tasting and most satisfying meal I've had in a long time last night. SO and I made a spicy seafood stew in the slow cooker:

Oysters, spicy sausage chunks, shrimp, crab meat, bacon, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, cajun seasoning, chopped garlic cloves, a dash of Worcestershire sauce, and a little water. Threw it all in the slow cooker for 9 hours and ate with oyster crackers and champagne (as we approached midnight).

It was one of those meals that I am still dreaming about this morning. We already have another batch in the slow cooker for tonight.
As I just woke up a 4pm this new years day, I am still feeling quite lazy and would love some of this slow cooker stew. Sounds wonderful and would fit in with my low carb lifestyle. Enjoy!
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
C.S. Lewis
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2011, 03:45 PM   #6522
Administrator

For the 18th year in a row, we prepared our traditional New Year's brunch of smoked chicken and butternut squash hash, with poached egg on top, together with cranberry scones and honey walnut butter. Washed down with a bottle of Veuve Cliquot. We get out the linen tablecloth and napkins, the silver and the crystal. Put some classic jazz on the stereo and ring in the New Year. It was sunny today, which was particularly nice

Went to the mall to see about using a gift card. Came home and washed the roadster, which had collected a ton of sawdust sitting in the garage during a recent woodworking project.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #6523
Moderator Emeritus

DH whipped up some hoppin' john so we can get the luck of the black-eyed peas today.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:19 PM   #6524
Moderator Emeritus

Watching the Larry Sanders show marathon on IFC. My favorite show from years ago. I'm not quite getting into it 15 or so years later. Though a young Sarah Silverman was hilarious.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 01-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #6525
Moderator Emeritus

This morning the rest of my dividends showed up at Vanguard. So, I recorded them and then withdrew all of my 2010 dividends, for spending in 2011. (I move 1/12th from savings to checking every month to simulate a paycheck.) I put January's 1/12th into checking...

... so today was "payday".

After that, I sold a fund and completely rebalanced everything according to my AA. It came out correct to the penny.

What a heady rush! I have EXACTLY my asset allocation today. This will probably be the only day of the year when it will be exact, so I am enjoying it.

Oh, and then we went to lunch at a Chinese place. Sesame chicken, crawfish springrolls, and rice. Yum.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #6526
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by major tom View Post
it was one of those meals that i am still dreaming about this morning. We already have another batch in the slow cooker for tonight.
Thumbs Up.gif
Old 01-01-2011, 09:30 PM   #6527
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by major tom View Post
made the best-tasting and most satisfying meal i've had in a long time last night. So and i made a spicy seafood stew in the slow cooker:

Oysters, spicy sausage chunks, shrimp, crab meat, bacon, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, cajun seasoning, chopped garlic cloves, a dash of worcestershire sauce, and a little water. Threw it all in the slow cooker for 9 hours and ate with oyster crackers and champagne (as we approached midnight).

It was one of those meals that i am still dreaming about this morning. We already have another batch in the slow cooker for tonight.
yum....yum...yum.........
Old 01-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #6528
Give me a forum ...

We made eggnog ice-cream tonight, but something went wrong, and it didn't freeze. The ice-cream maker base was in the freezer for 24 hours, and the recipe was just 2 cups of heavy whipping cream and 2 tsp sugar-free DaVinci eggnog syrup plus some shaved chocolate, so I'm not sure what went wrong.

It was a good cold drink, however.

P.S. I measured the freezer temp and it was only 19 degrees -- should be 0 degrees F.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:03 PM   #6529
Give me a forum ...

I read about one poster calling another one "cute". Makes me wonder if there's a photo posted somewhere that I miss.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-01-2011, 10:16 PM   #6530
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
P.S. I measured the freezer temp and it was only 19 degrees -- should be 0 degrees F.
Ruh-roh... freezer fan not working?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:27 PM   #6531
Give me a forum ...

My refrigerator got warm like that once. Like most new refers, it does not have the condenser coil in the back, but at the bottom. And due to the smaller condenser size and lack of convection cooling due to its location, it had a fan for forced air cooling. I believe this is the common arrangement now.

The fan failed, causing the compressor to keep running non-stop to no avail. To keep the compressor from overworking and to keep the food from spoiling, I took the dead fan off, then positioned a small table fan there for ventilation. About $30 later at the local appliance part center, an exact replacement fan was obtained, put in, and worked like a charm.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-02-2011, 06:20 AM   #6532
Give me a forum ...

So much for the heat wave...33F here with a lake effect snow advisory in effect. Oh well. It just reinforces our resolve to firm up the plan to escape East Nowhere.

Today is another R&R day after the MA trip and holiday excitement.

I need to tape off the unfinished trim around the new front picture window and get the stain brush going. I want to get the sheers and heavy drapes rehung and get that project finished. I plan to exhaust the fumes with small fans in the double hung windows on each side of the picture window and also the fireplace. Otherwise we may get a good buzz!

My decorations will stay up until after Jan 6. I like looking at the lights on the little tree in the living room.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #6533
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Ruh-roh... freezer fan not working?
In this case, just at the wrong setting. I changed it from B to D and now it's sub zero. I guess without ice cream in the freezer, one doesn't notice when it gets too "warm." I'm going to keep a thermometer in there from now on.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:18 AM   #6534
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
one doesn't notice when it gets too "warm." I'm going to keep a thermometer in there from now on.
The refrigerator in our RV is "Automatic" -- meaning it can switch between 12v, 110v, or propane on its own. Although, I have it set to use 12v ony, I am still concerned that it may switch, unnoticed to propane. The last thing one needs when putting fuel in the vehicle is to have the Propane Ignitor flash next to the gas tank inlet. Therefore, we turn the refrigerator off whenever fueling up.

After tooooo many times remembering to turn the refrigerator back on only after opening the door dumps water all over our shoes... Well, I bought one of these:

Amazon.com: Chaney Instrument 00985 Wireless Refrigerator Freezer Thermometer Alarm Set: Kitchen & Dining

Now, we can monitor the temperature from the dash.

We, now, have one in our stick house also. The nice thing is you don't even have to watch it because you can set separate alarms for each unit -- high temp and low temp.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #6535
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I guess without ice cream in the freezer, one doesn't notice when it gets too "warm." I'm going to keep a thermometer in there from now on.
I like the ice cream approach!

I also keep a bag of chocolate chips in the freezer and frequently check its temperature by monitoring their crunchiness brittle-fracture ductility strength.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 01-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #6536
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
It was a good cold drink, however.
Reminds me of this quote from Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert book:

"There's no such thing as an unredeemingly bad batch of homemade ice cream."
Old 01-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #6537
Give me a forum ...

Sick as a dog today. Feels like the flu, but I had a flu shot in November. Managed to stumble through a trip to Costco with the kids and now overcome with aches, chills, etc. Boss will have a hard time buying it if I call in sick tomorrow (since I had the whole week off), but what else could I do...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 01-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #6538
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Sick as a dog today. Feels like the flu, but I had a flu shot in November. Managed to stumble through a trip to Costco with the kids and now overcome with aches, chills, etc. Boss will have a hard time buying it if I call in sick tomorrow (since I had the whole week off), but what else could I do...
You could always go in, breathe heavily in his face, sneeze a few times in his direction (uncovered), tell him how miserable you feel, and then tell him firmly that you're going home. You might even get an hour in that way.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #6539
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
You could always go in, breathe heavily in his face, sneeze a few times in his direction (uncovered), tell him how miserable you feel, and then tell him firmly that you're going home. You might even get an hour in that way.
Hahahahaha!

Actually my direct superior is someone I get along with really, really well, and his boss is pretty reasonable as well. But I have a lot more bosses than that and expect to be coming back to a really full dance card.

Finally stopped shivering after borrowing DW's electric blanket.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 01-02-2011, 06:56 PM   #6540
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Sick as a dog today. Feels like the flu, but I had a flu shot in November. Managed to stumble through a trip to Costco with the kids and now overcome with aches, chills, etc.
CDC must've guessed wrong on the version of the flu that you'd be exposed to...

Closed Thread