Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 01:56 PM   #6801
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
The view from Mt. Diablo is, also, quite nice. Plenty of hiking to be done there, too.
Been in the east bay for almost 2 years and haven't made it to Mt Diablo yet, though do mean to go at some point.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2011, 05:50 PM   #6802
Dryer sheet aficionado

On rentals, it really depends on how you set things up. I have 3 rentals in and around Grand Rapids, MI, bought new 6 years ago in the $150K-200K range; hired an experienced person whose family has been managing rentals for a generation, pay about 8% of the rental income as management fee....Have had one tenant for more than 5 years, one for 2 and the other for 2; never, ever have panic calls. New homes mean fewer issues and higher priced rentals mean good tenants with proper screening. They take care of the homes as well as I would, especially the lawns...and they pay utilities.
So, it all depends.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #6803
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Endured 5 hours of conference calls and tried not to contemplate suicide (death by chocolate) or carving my latest torturer's initials into a 12 gauge slug. One more day of this crap and I am Puerto Rico bound. I might even come back when I am supposed to if I succeed in forgetting about all the chickensh!t for long enough.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 02-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #6804
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I didn't make it to the mailbox because of the %^&* ice.
A quick remedy until it melts...make a homemade spreader per directions at How to Make a Cheap Grass Seed Spreader | eHow.com
There are 2 different container formulas at that site.
Fill with rock salt (you do have some on hand I hope) or if not, use cat litter to create some traction on the ice. Apply heavily only where you need to walk. Please be careful!
Look online for a handheld grass seed spreader and buy more rock salt when it is safe to drive on the roads. The grass seed spreader w*rks perfectly with rock salt.
Example here
Scotts Lawns #71030 Easy Hand Held Spreader: Compare Prices, View Price History and Read Reviews at NexTag
You can partially fill it to accomodate your hand issues. BTDT
Old 02-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #6805

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
use cat litter to create some traction on the ice.
Be careful with the cat litter, a lot of it is a dried clay product and will work fine on ice until the ice begins to melt. When the clay gets wet it can become just as slippery as ice.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:18 PM   #6806
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Endured 5 hours of conference calls and tried not to contemplate suicide (death by chocolate) or carving my latest torturer's initials into a 12 gauge slug. One more day of this crap and I am Puerto Rico bound. I might even come back when I am supposed to if I succeed in forgetting about all the chickensh!t for long enough.
Yeah, when the time comes you're going to be the poster child for "World's Fastest Trouble-Free Transition to ER"...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #6807
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Yeah, when the time comes you're going to be the poster child for "World's Fastest Trouble-Free Transition to ER"...

Hell, if I spoke Spanish and had half a brain I would have sunk everything I had into Vieques property when I forst went there in 2000. *Sigh*

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 02-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #6808

I went to a Univ. of California Boalt Law school Moot Court competition tonight. The judges were: Justice Sonia Sotomayor, a judge from the CA Supreme Court, and a judge from the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. It could have been boring and incomprehensible to a non-lawyer but it was actually fascinating.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:45 AM   #6809
Full time employment: Posting here.

Tuesday the highlight of the day was cleaning the freezer and getting ready for storm. Wednesday Storm and clean up. Today find out why the blower motor in the explorer does not work. Way too cold for no heater.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #6810
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
Be careful with the cat litter, a lot of it is a dried clay product and will work fine on ice until the ice begins to melt. When the clay gets wet it can become just as slippery as ice.
Ah, VERY GOOD point.
How about some sandblasting type sand, also available at hardware stores? Most will deliver.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:56 AM   #6811
Give me a forum ...

Once again I am faced with the dilemma...do taxes or goof off?

I will try to exhibit some discipline and tally up my Rx and co-pay receipts. Mr B does a tax return all in one fell swoop and can't understand why I do my data entry in a piecemeal fashion. If I continue to procrastinate, perhaps it will move him to say "Just give me the *#!@ folder and I will do them for you." Anyone wanna wager on that outcome?

Sun is shining, always a welcome sight in 20F temps.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #6812
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Once again I am faced with the dilemma...do taxes or goof off?

Might as well goof off since the IRS is not accepting any returns that itemize until the 14th !
Old 02-03-2011, 08:05 AM   #6813
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Might as well goof off since the IRS is not accepting any returns that itemize until the 14th !
And...VG will not have brokerage data ready until mid February. I do itemize, just barely able to.

SOLD!
Old 02-03-2011, 01:26 PM   #6814
Give me a forum ...

It's only been two and a half days of this icy mess, but I'm already getting cabin fever.

So I've been cooking like a wild woman. Tonight's fare is roasted turkey, cornbread stuffing and a sour cream/cheese potato casserole.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #6815

Look What Showed Uo in My Window Ledge Today

This Owl was on my window ledge about an hour ago. He was sleeping but woke up when I got too close and eventually flew into my lean to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0028.jpg (615.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0030.jpg (690.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 02-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #6816
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Actually went out, as the ice is melting.
Ohio is no longer closed.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #6817
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
This Owl was on my window ledge about an hour ago. He was sleeping but woke up when I got too close and eventually flew into my lean to.
Great photos, thanks! He really matches the color of the wood.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #6818

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
My daughter would absolutely stroke out if that happened here. She's nuts about owls.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:11 PM   #6819
Give me a forum ...

I keep getting these reminders that there are things to read on "what did you do today". Was going to unsubscribe but just took a peek. Found it quite amusing to read about all the things people did -- like struggling to take down the Christmas tree . That really puts retired life in perspective.

DW found out that her paintings (of small creatures like rabbits up to cows and horses) at a local gallery are really selling great -- seems to coincide with the stock market doing better. She's been selling regularly but recently things have gotten better -- perhaps a coincident indicator? She's now the bread winner with her modest art income + SS. I'm enjoying being a retired former bread winner. Art doesn't buy much bread though.

The pest control guy came to inspect under the house and found no damage that could have let in a skunk. So the repairs to the crawl space are working and those occasional skunk smells might just be the critters stinking up the place at night -- perhaps under our deck. I think this is skunk mating season. Country living is fun.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:57 AM   #6820

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Great photos, thanks! He really matches the color of the wood.
Thanks Does anyone know what kind of owl this is? My friend thinks it is a great horned owl but is not sure. Some pictures on the bird sites are close but not all.