Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 03:58 PM   #6941
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of meatballs (Swedish this time):

Meatballs.jpg

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2011, 05:03 PM   #6942
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I did my taxes yesterday. seems like the Fed 0% LTCG works nicely. But Arizona treats LTCG same as any CG. BOO HOO.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #6943

We survived our first day of having our 2 1/2 year old granddaughter alone. Her mama left last night driving from WV to CA. She is currently in TX. DH is going to fly her home to CA 3/6/11. Her daddy is supposed to leave Afghanistan on Monday and hopefully be in CA 2/28/11. DD and DGD have been living with us since 08/10 and we are going to miss them, but glad they can be a family again.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:53 PM   #6944

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Speaking of meatballs (Swedish this time):

Attachment 11245

Got a recipe you would care to share? BTW how do they compare to the meatballs at Ikea? Must admit in years gone past we have gone to Ikea just to eat at their cafe.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:33 AM   #6945

Pruned the parental rosebushes. It was good weather for the time of year. Clear dry & sunny, and not too cold to work in the garden for a few hours.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:25 AM   #6946

Took care of patients at a free clinic. Made contact with the guys who are going to Guatemala in April to build a free clinic there for us to see patients.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:11 AM   #6947

Made an "emergency food run" for DW who has a bad cold and yesterday was hating life, one of those days when you feel like "Dear God, can I just die and get this over with please?" type days. She wanted chicken noodle soup, tomato soup, crackers and cough drops. Got that stuff and planted her in front of the TV with a blanket and that's about all I could do.

I looked around for a few hours for a medium-range scanner for film and slides. Turns out it's a complicated subject, to do it right one needs IT8 calibration sheets for different films and slides, Kodachrome being one of the more problematic. There are a couple of books on the subject I want to read first though.

I'm probably gonna do it, that looks like a fascinating activity and I've done what a couple of relatives called "miracles" restoring photos with just the 1200 dpi scanner on the printer and Photoshop Elements.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:25 AM   #6948
Recycles dryer sheets

Today I'm going to stop by Goodwill and donate about 100 books. Then plan to organize things for an upcoming garage sale. Planning dinner already, "porcupine meatballs" (meatballs with rice in them).
Old 02-20-2011, 09:01 AM   #6949
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Got a recipe you would care to share? BTW how do they compare to the meatballs at Ikea? Must admit in years gone past we have gone to Ikea just to eat at their cafe.
These are much better than those you get at Ikea.

The recipe was in Lena's head, but I had her recite it to me. There was a lot of

Lena: Oh, I don't know how much, I just...
Al: Well, estimate
Lena: Oh, I guess a deciliter
Al: OK, so a half cup
Lena: Yeah, I guess.

Also, she usually puts 1 tsp of salt per pound of ground meat, but this last batch seemed too salty. Perhaps our tastes have changed?

Swedish Meatballs

.3 cup carbquick (or .3 cup breadcrumbs)
.75 cup heavy whipping cream (HWC)
2 lbs ground beef (or ground moose meat if in Sweden)
.5 medium onion chopped very very finely
1 tsp salt
.25 tsp ground white pepper
1 egg
Butter (see below)

Mix carbquik (or breadcrumbs) with about .5 cup of HWC until it’s the consistency of thick pancake batter.

Mix this with remaining ingredients (except butter). Form 1 inch meatballs.

1. Put 2 TBS butter in cast iron skillet
2. Brown 10 meatballs at a time in very hot cast iron skillet (well-browned)
3. Lower heat
4. Scrape pan drippings into saucepan, put meatballs in saucepan

Add half cup of heavy whipping cream to saucepan.
Simmer saucepan on low heat
Repeat steps 1-3 until all meatballs are in the saucepan.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #6950
Moderator Emeritus

The bigger parades of Carnival season (Mardi Gras season) are beginning. A big parade will be passing within 1/2 block of F.'s house today. It starts at noon but probably will last until late afternoon. Kind of a PITA for him since he feels very blocked in. Often cars block his driveway during parades, and the street, but he can walk a few blocks to where I can pick him up and extract him from the area. He will probably have numerous strands of beads on his lawn in the morning.

Having parades that close does make it easy for us to enjoy Mardi Gras. Don't know if we will go to this parade, or not. There will be many parades from now until March 8th (Mardi Gras), so we will pick and choose.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #6951
Give me a forum ...

Woke up with very sore legs. Mr B and I went to a fundraiser dinner dance last night. I learned several group synchronized dances and did some freestyle dancing on my own with some ladies I knew there. Mr B wasn't in the mood to dance fast, so I settled for a nice slow dance with him.
It was very warm in the place, then add some dancing plus a few hot flashes just for fun...
I ditched the long sleeved winter sweater and just bopped around in a spaghetti strap tank top I had on underneath. Summer is just around the bend

I'm watching an excellent National Geographic program about the Galapagos Islands right now. Cool stuff! There is a segment about loggerhead turtles. The hatchlings are so cute. The footage of them emerging from the eggs, digging their way out, making a mad dash for the sea and swimming is fabulous.

Meatballs and medium hot sausage in homemade sauce are cooking in the crockpot for dinner tonight. I can't decide if I want that over spaghetti or make hot subs with melted mozzerella.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #6952
Full time employment: Posting here.

Helped DW work at a fund raiser for the Riley Childrens' Hospital. Was a dance marathon put on by and at the high school she works. Raised almost $18,000 for the first year this event was held here.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #6953
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
The housecleaner showed up. Did kitchen and great room. Next week: bathroom and bedrooms.
Filled the vacuum cleaner.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:22 PM   #6954

Another day spent helping to clean out the house of a relative who passed away recently. This is part of a long ongoing process. Marvelled at the amount of stuff a person can collect in a lifetime. Vowed not to do the same.

Also got to see "The King's Speech". Enjoyed it a great deal but felt it didn't live up to the hype.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #6955

Thanks for the recipe Al. I'll give it a try and report back.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #6956
Moderator Emeritus

I spent most of the weekend proofing the typeset versions of the book and the pocket guide. (Akaisha/Billy, Bob Clyatt, SamClem, Tomcat98, Deserat, and FIREUp2020, please check your e-mail.) There were the usual typos and nitpicks, and I've rewritten a lot of the manuscript as I was excerpting it on the blog, but I managed to restrain myself. It's "good enough". I'm a little bummed that the publisher didn't want to use my rock&roll chapter quotes but I'll publish the "author's cut" on the blog.

When Bob published WLLM in 2005 he sent out draft versions that were literally bound paperbacks with "DRAFT" stamped on the cover. I don't think that's going to happen for "The Military Guide"-- I got a PDF that should look pretty much the same when it comes off the printing press. The book & pocket guide will go to the presses in March, to the distributor in April, to Amazon.com's presale by May, and hopefully be on shelves in military exchanges around the world by August.

The next morning I woke up to start my day on the Internet as usual, and found that my wireless router had glitched up overnight. Its power light was doing a "slow flash" that indicated a firmware update hadn't succeeded-- which was bad news because I hadn't done any firmware updates.

Luckily yesterday spouse had left on another Mainland trip (imagine if this had happened while she was trying to print boarding passes over the "network" printer) and wouldn't need wireless for her laptop for a few more days. But then I realized that our two TiVos wouldn't be able to get their programming updates.

With troubleshooting help from a couple of the board's finest hardware experts (thanks youknowwho and BMJ!), I did a bunch of restarts and resets and eventually tried to install the latest firmware. However the desktop refused to talk to the router, so it became likely that the problem was the router's power supply. Luckily Radio Shack has a full line of replacement power transformers and compatible plugs for under $30 instead of having to shell out for a new router. But, hey, I was actually ready to buy a new router.

The crisis gave me the opportunity to clean up the computer desk. I pulled out the Mac Mini (it's a 2005 PowerPC model) and its KVM switch, and I managed to eliminate what seemed like a couple miles worth of spaghetti cable. I also rearranged the connections to be able to work on everything from on top or in front instead of having to pull this furniture monster away from the wall. Since we generate most of the electricity that we use, getting rid of even these little vampire loads will be noticeable on our electric bill.

If any of you collectors are looking for a cheap Mac Mini, I think this is the "high-end" model with extra RAM. Been a while since I fired it up, so this week I'll be trying to get past the logon passwords to delete the data. The rest will fill up our "e-waste closet" until the next free collection date.

I'll spend a little time today prepping a care package for our Hawaii college girl. Apparently it's really hard to find any nori and li hing mui mango in Houston, let alone the good stuff. She's looking forward to a week of spring break to party catch up on her overloaded classwork & studying, so I won't have a surfing buddy next week after all. Between her plans for summer school, and the Navy's plans for her summer training, we probably won't see her until August or even September... and by that I mean we'll be going to Houston to see her. She probably won't get back to the islands until Christmas.

It's amazing how creative my "To-Do" list gets when its top entry is "Do your taxes"...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #6957
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
...It's amazing how creative my "To-Do" list gets when its top entry is "Do your taxes"...
We think alike. I am in the final review stage of taxes before I e-file and I am doing everything but that. So far I emptied/refilled the dishwasher, put some pork roast with BBQ sauce in the crockpot, surfed, read some joke emails, and watched the weather.
Mr B is just as bad. He is playing DJ on his desktop computer with a collection of music from the 1960s. He is segregating favorite songs into a folder for eventual burning to CDs for our road trips.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:47 PM   #6958
Give me a forum ...

Got up late this a.m., took a shower and slurped some coffee. Later went to Wally Word for kitty treats and stuff. Went with DH to his 8th RT and saw my 'buddy'. He struck up a conversation with me last Friday...he has prostate cancer as well and is about halfway through his treatments (with no side effects thus far). He's a matter-of-fact kind of guy, but is calm and the optimistic sort. He sure makes it much easier on me while I wait in that lobby.

Coming home I told DH since my new buddy is 70 years old and doing just fine, I reckon he (DH) could cook supper tonight. That's exactly what he's doing right now....
Old 02-21-2011, 04:57 PM   #6959

I had the day off for President's Day. In best "testing the waters" mode for retirement, I slept in a bit, read a little, enjoyed a full pot of coffee and just enjoyed having no where to go at a certain time. Walked the dog, went to the gym, and drove home in an unanticipated ice storm! Just came in from shoveling as I wanted to get the lay of the land in terms of what is happening with the storm...3-6 inches of snow expected. I had put away my shovel so had to retrieve it from a corner of the garage. I have a good stock of ice melt pellets so I scattered a little about on the walks. If I get enough snow, the fellow who does my snow removal will show up tomorrow...but likely after I have already gone into the office.
Still, a nice day over all. It doesn't seem so arduous when I think of only a 4-day week until the next week-end.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #6960
Gone but not forgotten

I started my day at the gym . The woman who teaches our Monday classes teaches kick boxing so we do kickboxing moves in the pool . I am always sore after her class . I then hung new blinds in the foyer and started The book " The girl who played with fire " . I hope it's as good as the first one .Tomorrow is an ebay day so I will be photographing and writing listings most of the day .
Closed Thread