Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #7041
Moderator Emeritus

Slept late on this Mardi Gras morning, and now watching parades on live TV over my first cup of coffee. Breathtakingly beautiful! Wish I could adequately describe what I am seeing. The parades will continue non-stop all day, on all the parade routes all over town.

Too much craziness so I'll probably stay home, and F. lives on a parade route with non-stop parades already going by so he doesn't have any choice - - I'm sure he is blocked in.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2011, 09:56 AM   #7042
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the support and the PMs and the "thanks" notes, everyone. The week's gone by pretty fast.

My father's almost completely recovered from the repair to his duodenum. Amazing progress since I saw him on the 5th day after surgery, when he could barely stand by his bed, to now ready to go hiking again. He had over a dozen staples in his six-inch incision (from below the ribcage to his navel) but those were taken out yesterday (the 9th day) and he's just holding it together with surgical tape. The duodenum hole has been stitched over with a strip from his omentum (sort of the biological equivalent of duct tape) and should eventually heal itself. Pretty cool procedures & technology, as long as you're a survivor. By the time the ER doc figured out the problem (not helped by Dad's incoherence and complaints of heart-attack symptoms) they had to hurry. His neighbor literally saved his life.

Unfortunately the doctor's subsequent diagnosis is leaning more toward Alzheimer's than vascular dementia. My father's been aware of his declining cognition for the last 18 months and (when he's lucid) he understands that he shouldn't try to live on his own anymore. Unfortunately "lucid" is infrequent, too short, and random. He spends most of his time in the late 1950s/early 1960s and usually thinks I'm his ol' college roommate.

We've had great help from the hospital's discharge planner, plus we've hired a care manager and consulted an elder-law lawyer. Money well spent. We're going to move Dad to a skilled nursing facility (rehab & therapy) followed by an assisted-living/full-care facility close to my brother's home. The hospital's discharge planner is finding a place now, and when the paperwork is ready then Dad and I are going to make the 250-mile drive in his Ford Explorer through the Rockies. Hopefully that'll happen by tomorrow or Thu at the latest or else we'll be looking at a delay until Monday.

My brother's working with his own care manager and lawyer in his town. (We're flinging money around with wild abandon.) He's filing to be appointed guardian & conservator, and he'll delegate the financial details back to me. Looks like that'll take a minimum of 2-3 months, and until then we're essentially having Dad sign the checks to pay his apartment rent & utility bills. Soon we'll get those on autopay from his checking account, and in the next few months (once he's settled in a facility) we'll close down his apartment and take care of his possessions.

Dad's covered with Medicare, LTC insurance, pension income, and his own assets. My initial impression is that the money will be OK. He's had a LTC policy since 1993 and has only paid about $11K in premiums for an inflation-rider policy that will now top out around $300K. If you're a John Hancock investor then you might want to divest yourself within the next 100 days.

I'm a third-generation engineer, and his apartment is a model of engineering neatness & efficiency for coping with progressive cognitive deficiency. Reminder notes and calendars are everywhere, and his filing system was designed to keep him from missing dates or payments. Everything is logged, dated, and annotated. I have a lot of paperwork to catch up on but I don't think anything is behind or unpaid. He made it work for far longer than he should have, but he didn't want to give up control.

So while we're awaiting the discharge plan, I'm packing up his clothes and a few personal possessions. (I'm getting good advice from the care manager.) Next up are his 2010 tax returns. Hopefully I'll be back home next week and back here on the board a few days later.

It's a shame that things had to go this way, but they're going as well as we could expect.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #7043
Gone but not forgotten

Glad to hear from you . I was wondering how it was going . At least your Dad will now be in a safer place and he realizes he needs to be there .Usually a hospital stay is the only way that older people realize it's time to move . A good friend of our family was managed at home for a few years with Alzheimer's . The care was poor and they stripped the house of all valuables . We finally moved her to an Alzheimer's unit where she lived for several years and had excellent care . So you made the right decision.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #7044
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nords, thanks for the update. It is sad to see anyone go from being a strong parent to being the one that needs the care.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #7045

Nords, sorry to hear all that you have been going through. I am sure that it is not an easy time. It does sound like you have things under control though. Good luck.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:19 PM   #7046
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nords, your Dad is lucky to have two such well organized sons to take charge for him. Because that's what he needs now, even if he doesn't realize it.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:02 AM   #7047

Thanks for the update, Nords. It sounds like your earlier visit and pre-planning for this eventuality have been very beneficial.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #7048
Give me a forum ...

Took DW ice skating. She bravely hugged he wall and my hand. Did pretty good. Stopped on the way home for a reward of Latte for her.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:01 PM   #7049
Gone but not forgotten

Today my daughter called me to tell me that my Geo Prism is on death's doorstep . I drove it in the eighties and then gave it to my daughter who drove it until recently . It is twenty years old with $250,000 miles on it . That is one car I got my money's worth on.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #7050
Give me a forum ...

I woke up to a nice pot of coffee already made for me. I was procrastinating to the fullest extent while Mr B took a ride to the Legion for coffee and man gossip talk. I had the house all to myself. I had my sweats and tank top on and morning "pineapple" hair all perfectly in place.
THEN...he comes home around 11 AM and proceeds to coerce me into going food shopping.
I hemmed.
I hawed.
I cited the weather (which dammit was snow-free. where's my lake effect when I need it most? )

ARGH...I motivated, showered, dressed, and grabbed the shopping list.
One consolation is HE drove the shopping cart and did the price checking.
I was rewarded with some nice cold beers (his treat ), good company, and a free goulash dinner at the VFW after all was said and done.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:53 PM   #7051
Give me a forum ...

Went with DH to another RT appointment today. Sure will be glad when that's all over.

Gave myself a pedicure tonight. Gotta get the tootsies lookin' good for sandal weather.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #7052

Went to the club, swam 21 laps -- over 1 KM!

Now going grocery shopping, I think I worked up an appetite.

-- Rita
Old 03-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #7053
Give me a forum ...

Worked, and watched the hilarity that is Wisconsin politics unfold on the TV.............if I NEVER see Michael Moore in our state again, that will still be too soon...............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 03-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #7054

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Today my daughter called me to tell me that my Geo Prism is on death's doorstep . I drove it in the eighties and then gave it to my daughter who drove it until recently . It is twenty years old with $250,000 miles on it . That is one car I got my money's worth on.
Good little cars those Prizms. Had ours for 225,000 miles. Never had engine or tranny work done on it. Still running when I got rid of it.

Free to canoe
Old 03-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #7055
Give me a forum ...

Lena leaves for a ten-day trip to Sweden in a few hours. I'm so glad I'm not going. She'll meet Jenny and Jenny's boyfriend there.

This morning, Lena fell off a 4' high cliff. We were climbing up from the beach, she got to the top and started doing the windmill thing, then fell back and ended up with some bruises and scrapes. Not a great way to start a 33 hour door-to-door trip.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:17 PM   #7056
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Lena leaves for a ten-day trip to Sweden in a few hours. I'm so glad I'm not going.
Wi nøt trei a høliday in Sweden this yer?
See the løveli lakes
The wonderful telephøne system
And mani interesting furry animals
Including the majestic møøse
Old 03-10-2011, 02:19 PM   #7057
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Wi nøt trei a høliday in Sweden this yer?
See the løveli lakes
The wonderful telephøne system
And mani interesting furry animals
Including the majestic møøse
A Møøse once bit my sister ...

No realli! She was Karving her initials on the møøse
with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given
her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an Oslo dentist and
star of many Norwegian møvies: "The Høt Hands of an Oslo
Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Mølars of Horst
Nordfink".
Old 03-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #7058
Give me a forum ...

Not nice to try carve into live moose. Shoulda been a moose gooser.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #7059
Give me a forum ...

No mooses or gooses found here...

I goofed all ALL morning.... I deserve that after completing my tax returns last week and re-executing my Trust-Will-HCP-Durable PoA-Schedule of Assets package earlier this week.

Well...OK...I did two loads of laundry. We had rain all day, added to already melting snow. This means my back yard will be deeply saturated, which means my leach field will not function as well, which means I have to limit washing machine water output for several days until natural ground water drainage puts the septic system process back to business as usual. Toilet and shower water usage is not an issue unless I host a really huge party.

Ah...the joys of country living.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:50 PM   #7060
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Laundry and dishes and rain and snow and an errand run.

Need to start house cleaning again for return visit.