Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 05:06 PM   #7321
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM View Post
I visited 2 area restaurants and asked if they would display (sell) my oil paintings. Both said YES! This could be the start of something green!
Our branch library is always displaying the art from local painting classes. I'm impressed.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2011, 08:13 PM   #7322
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'm back.

Dawg, my sympathies.

When my father was in the hospital last month, the difference between "on painkillers" and "painkiller free" was night & day. His last day on Dilaudid I thought he'd never walk unaided again. By the second day off Dilaudid he was roaming freely and itching to "go home".

If you haven't already done this, I'd strongly recommend hiring a geriatric care provider to help you with the process. They know how to accelerate the process with the hospital's discharge coordinator and they can immediately help you sort through the nursing-home options. I paid one roughly $100/hour but it would have taken us weeks to achieve worse results.
The surgeon gave me 2 good recommendations so I went with one of those. This guy was the most caring doc I have ever met and I felt good with his suggestions. Got her in one today and talked to the rehab people. They seem to think they can do some good for her. She did perk up some today and I think it was because she didn't take as many pain killers.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:46 PM   #7323
Give me a forum ...

I had several cups of decaf coffee (extra milk and sugar ) for breakfast.

It was a sunny day, so I went outside and got some yard w*rk done while Mr B went to the Syracuse VA for a dental appt. I intentionaly did not eat so my calorie burn would be optimized without consumed food adding to the daily equation. I raked up some flattended oak leaves and cedar hedge droppings, put my driftwood collection back into the tulip garden, cleared away some dead mum stalks, dislodged and swept up the packed down sand from the end of the driveway. It felt great to get some exercise. My back, legs and hands are complaining a little bit, but I'll survive.
Then I sat on the front steps and had a nice cold Mike's Hard Limeade and watched the traffic go by.
When he returned around 2 PM, we realized we were both starving.
I made 2 dinner plates of super nachos with taco meat, cheddar cheese, salsa, and sour cream. Mr B added sliced jalapenos to his plate. Not this kid.

Weather permitting, I will be right back out there tomorrow doing some more low to medium impact yard chores, such as picking up dead tree branches or trimming the grass away from my flower garden borders or cutting back my blackberry bushes before they grow leaves.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:44 PM   #7324
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I admired all the violets (blue & white) on my lawn.
I love the violets.
Here they are considered a weed & hired help have tried to kill them.

Same for clover.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #7325
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Received the confirmation of delivery for my state tax return and was amused to discover the name of the person who signed for it - "Peter Dosh". Fellow Brits and others familiar with British vernacular will appreciate how fitting his name is.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #7326

Took the lawn mower that DW uses at her father's place back over in the pickup truck. (I'd brought it home to do the oil change, drain fuel, etc. last fall.) Then I went back home, got on the motorcycle, and rode back. I was supposed to bring the battery charger we forgot to bring for the mower but couldn't find it because we put it somewhere where it wouldn't get lost.

I'm sure no one else has ever done that.

Then FIL and I sat on the shaded chairs, drinking iced tea, and watched DW mow the lawn. Really. She seems compelled to do it. And no, I didn't feel even a twinge of guilt or shame.

Then I rode back home and mowed our lawn.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #7327
Give me a forum ...

Watched the wind and rain. Mostly 30 MPH, gusts to 50. Lost a little decorative fence.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #7328
Give me a forum ...

I didn't feel like going out in the rain and wind, so I'm goofing off watching an afternoon of Law & Order: Criminal Intent while Mr B does some budget consulting w*rk.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #7329
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Got about 4 inches of wet snow yesterday so I've stayed in and done laundry and worked on an old radio I'm fixing for a friend. Snow should be gone by the end of the day.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:11 PM   #7330
Gone but not forgotten

Today I wrote our packing lists for our upcoming Alaska trip . Why is my side of the list twice as long as SO's ?
Old 04-16-2011, 04:31 PM   #7331
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Today I wrote our packing lists for our upcoming Alaska trip . Why is my side of the list twice as long as SO's ?
2 pairs of good quality lightweight binoculars should be on your list. If you don't own any, try a pawn shop.

I was given a cruise to Alaska for my 40th birthday. I carried my binoculars everywhere we went. I was able to see the bald eagles, a baby moose in a stream, the glacier calving splashes and waves, and the seals resting on small ice chunks in wonderful detail. They were excellent for whale watching, allowing me to see the spume (aka blow aka spout) way before anybody else on the ship did.

This illustration gives you a general idea of what you will be looking for.
http://www.salariya.com/web_books/wh...ws/spouts.html

Have a wonderful time.

PS I stowed away a 3L box of wine and a sealed tall plastic sipping tumbler in my check-in suitcase. Making my own wine coolers with free fruit juice on board saved me a LOT on drinks for 7 days.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:33 PM   #7332
Give me a forum ...

I blew out my flip-flop….stepped on a pop-top.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:52 PM   #7333
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
2 pairs of good quality lightweight binoculars should be on your list. If you don't own any, try a pawn shop.

Have a wonderful time.

Binoculars are already in the staging room ready to be packed ! We will be going whale watching in Juneau !Thanks !
Old 04-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #7334
Moderator Emeritus

This has been one lazy day. I've mostly caught up on the blog (finishing up a post on federal long-term care insurance for next Thursday) and I'm filing my Dad's financial paperwork.

Next I think I'll go over our state tax returns, although I'm still waiting on more paperwork. I'd rather have the extension than the $9 refund.

Spouse has been buzzing around the house touching up paint dings. I'm helping by staying well away from the wet paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
PS I stowed away a 3L box of wine and a sealed tall plastic sipping tumbler in my check-in suitcase. Making my own wine coolers with free fruit juice on board saved me a LOT on drinks for 7 days.
I'd add a caution that some cruise lines have a "no outside alcohol" policy. NCL scans baggage for just this reason security & safety purposes and will confiscate that dangerous substance before it's used for illicit purposes or endangers innocent bystanders.

And then they serve free wine at the "art" auction. Or so I've been told.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:11 AM   #7335
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I admired all the violets (blue & white) on my lawn.
I love the violets.
Here they are considered a weed & hired help have tried to kill them.

Same for clover.
We enjoyed a wild salad today - Miner's lettuce, dandelion leaves, plantain, rosemary, and oregano.

By the way, red clover (Trifolium pratense) is good for menopause, according to Dr. James Duke. Violet (Viola odorata) petals add wonderful color to your herb salad; the leaves are said to be good for respiratory health, according to Richard Mabey.

Haven't found a use for poison oak, though
Old 04-17-2011, 02:17 PM   #7336
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
We enjoyed a wild salad today - Miner's lettuce, dandelion leaves, plantain, rosemary, and oregano.

By the way, red clover (Trifolium pratense) is good for menopause, according to Dr. James Duke. Violet (Viola odorata) petals add wonderful color to your herb salad; the leaves are said to be good for respiratory health, according to Richard Mabey.

Haven't found a use for poison oak, though
I put violets, rose petals, & other flowers into salads. Have done sugared violets & roses but now am too lazy.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:18 PM   #7337
Recycles dryer sheets

I spent some time trying to brighten up my best friend's day.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Old 04-17-2011, 05:37 PM   #7338
Gone but not forgotten

Cooked much stuff.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:39 PM   #7339

We received a call to go to the hospital for our daughter's first child, our first grandchild. I made pizza for SIL to eat.

Granddaughter was 8 lb 6 oz, 20 inches and already needs a haircut! All are doing well.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:51 PM   #7340

Quote:
Originally Posted by devans0 View Post
We received a call to go to the hospital for our daughter's first child, our first grandchild. I made pizza for SIL to eat.

Granddaughter was 8 lb 6 oz, 20 inches and already needs a haircut! All are doing well.

Congratulations!!! What a joy....
Closed Thread