what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I...set...my...alarm...today :(

I was up at 545 AM to help cook breakfast at the local Legion for the Highway Department Superintendents and their deputies from all over the county. A team of 9 guys and gals cooked and served scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, french toast and fried potatoes to over 60 men. These guys sure could eat!
Mr B cooked the meats and I did french toast/pancake duty. The Legion Steward kept our spirits up with pitchers of Bloody Marys made from scratch. She even had fresh celery. :D
The nice thing about cooking is you aren't expected to help with pot/pan/dish/table cleanup. >:D All I had to do is wipe down my cooking station.
Almost time for a siesta....zzzzzzzz ;)

I...set...my...alarm...today :(

I was up at 545 AM [...]

Isn't that illegal in retirement? :LOL: I slept until 10:30 this morning. I have briefly thought of setting my alarm for 10 AM so that I can gradually get used to getting up earlier. But 5:45 AM? That's almost as early as I used to get up for w*rk. :eek: The Highway Department should be so appreciative that you did such a nice thing.

Isn't that illegal in retirement? :LOL: I slept until 10:30 this morning. I have briefly thought of setting my alarm for 10 AM so that I can gradually get used to getting up earlier. But 5:45 AM? That's almost as early as I used to get up for w*rk. :eek: The Highway Department should be so appreciative that you did such a nice thing.

Freebird, I guess all those unpaid parking and speeding tickets are gonna be "fixed" by tomorrow? :greetings10::D

Freebird, I guess all those unpaid parking and speeding tickets are gonna be "fixed" by tomorrow? :greetings10::D
Not illegal when you are volunteering with your honey [-]suffering[/-] cooking right next to you. Mr B is very good at making BACON....and sausage. :ROFLMAO:
The Highway Dept guys gave the breakfast crew a very nice round of applause. All proceeds are going to the Legion Auxiliary for their community activities. They keep trying to get me to attend meetings :nonono: but this is a better way to contribute my time. :D
I finally found a good way to get some exercise, do some good, and have fun doing so. Those Bloody Marys had us all whistling :whistle: while we w*rked. And we got a free breakfast out of the deal. :clap:

It never hurts to [-]feed[/-] know the folks in power in a small town like this. :cool:

Went to a Lifeline screening. I was the youngest one there by far. Tests included peripherial arterial disease screening, ultrasound of carotid artery, ultrasound scan for aneuresm of the abdominal aorta, atrial fib screening and bone density. $99 for the 5 tests and flexben card handled it. I get these done every 2 years, my doc likes that I am willing to do it at my age.

I've done a few light chores around the house today. Then I read a PM from a friend about his family's planned Easter meal. That got me to thinking about many years ago when Easter came around.

Easter was a big deal when I was a kid. At least two weeks before the holiday, we all went to town and shopped for the perfect outfit. Of course back in the day for me that meant gloves, purse, a bow for my hair, dress, socks and patent leather shoes...in white don't ya know. These new duds would be worn to church.

I outgrew the baskets the Easter bunny left, but I sure have fond memories of them.

After shedding the new duds, we had our huge Easter dinner then we'd race outside to find the Easter eggs. Some of the eggs were plastic...those eggs would contain money. If we were really lucky, we'd find an egg with a quarter in it...most had nickels inside.

We played all kinds of games...the 'grown ups' even got involved. I was fortunate to live around my aunts, uncles and cousins. When we all got together, we had such a wonderful time.

As each year goes by, my memories seem even more precious. :)

Happy Easter everyone....:greetings10:

Happy Easter to you.
Do you remember the first time you got to help dye the eggs? How you made a big mess, but that was ok because it was so cute the way you called them 'igs'. :)

Z...

Oh yes, red and purple fingers. ...and the song of 'my Robin' that cheers my heart. :)

My office was closed today for Good Friday so I spent a good chunk of the day at a friend's house, helping her babysit her 5 month old grandson (not that she needed my "help" as she is a former pediatric nurse). It was fun to hold and feed and play with the little one and reflect a bit together on the passage of time. Tomorrow I head out to my 94-year-old aunt's for Easter. She has reminded me a couple of times now that I am to bring a dress for church services...no dressy pantsuits will pass muster.

Yesterday I was washing the truck, when I noticed a fire in the valley. I called a neighbor that would have a better view. Wouldn't you know it, she was calling me to get my butt down there quick. It was about a 15 acre grass fire that was 150 feet from a residence. By the time I was on the scene the wind had turned and the fire was stopped at the burned fuel. Still spent 3 hours mopping up some bunch grasses and trees that were smoldering. But at least I felt that I had done some good that day.

Bought eggs at the grocery store.

On Saturday, the day before Easter.

We were lucky to get them for $1.87/dozen.

Holy cow, the crowds.

It wasn't our fault-- we got a Friday-night invitation to a neighbor's Easter Sunday dinner and we're bringing dessert, but we were out of eggs in anticipation of Tuesday's after-Easter sale.

Since we were out, we stopped at McDonalds for [-]air conditioning[/-] an ice-cream cone. Only in Hawaii do you see a guy sitting at the table sporting a 3"-high full-color Pittsburgh Steelers logo tattoo on the side of his neck-- and think nothing of it. Just part of the local culture...

Got back from an absolutely brilliant 2 day road trip down the California coast with visiting family from the UK. We hit Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur and San Luis Obispo. Ate, drank and played Scrabble until late in a tavern in Big Sur, then fell asleep in cabins surrounded by fir trees. Brilliant trip.

The night after getting back (last night) took SO out for sushi. Ate lots of sushi and drank a bit too much hot sake. Promptly fell asleep on getting home and am now up at 4:30 am posting here!

On Monday I'll get back to my normal frugal ways, but this small blowout was much fun and well worth it.

Read the Blue Cross letter during breakfast -- premium going up 24% to $326.

I'll make some chocolates for Easter and hide them from Lena. Actually, I usually hide them from Lena anyway.

I wish I had a chocolate bunny mold.

6 tsp Erythritol (granulated)
2 tsp Splenda powder
4 Squares unsweetened Baker’s Chocolate chopped
1.5 Tbs Coconut Oil
.25 cup Well-Roasted pecans, chopped

Place sweeteners in a saucepan and heat on low
Once they melt, add coconut oil, chocolate, and pecans
Stir frequently until melted, don’t overheat the chocolate
Pour into forms or onto waxed paper
Place in freezer until hardened

Going for a hike in the Great Smoky's. Tomorrow, on to Asheville.

Oh, and made some curried chicken & cashews which is simmering in the crock pot for when we get back. Which reminds me of another task before we head out for a hike . . . put beers in fridge.

img_1063112_0_c9545e390d56d369ffd4586789e30080.jpg

BTW having recipes available on the iPod Touch has revolutionized cooking for me. It's so easy to make a change, I always have the recipe handy, and I can easily copy and paste recipes from the net. I use GoogleDocs synced with NoteMaster on the iPod.

Going to the nursing home today to have lunch with mom. Cost $1 for a family member. I'm afraid it might taste like a $1 lunch. :( Took my mutt up there yesterday for a visit. I was so proud of him, he walked down the hall like he owned the joint. Didn't bother any of the other patients and just walked into my mother's room and went right to her bed. Then laid on the floor right next to her. Mom really enjoyed his visit.:)

Spent some time tutoring the next generation of Ohana Nords on freshman chemistry. (The last time became our family story of "How I Met Your Mother.") This one has never cared for the subject, either, and she's worked herself up into a frenzy of test anxiety. The "good" news is that it's the only subject she's complaining about, so the rest of her GPA can probably support whatever happens on the chem final exam. We parents can tell that she's reeeeeally looking forward to the end of the semester and a little quality surfing.

I wish I had a chocolate bunny mold.
6 tsp Erythritol (granulated)
2 tsp Splenda powder
4 Squares unsweetened Baker’s Chocolate chopped
1.5 Tbs Coconut Oil
.25 cup Well-Roasted pecans, chopped
You would think that a low-cal Erythritol/Splenda version of chocolate chips, preferably semi-sweet, would be sold by the pallet in Costco.

You got a new tat? Cool!
Well, there's a reason they're called "jobstoppers". But the Navy has sucked all the fun out of tattoos, and I've never gone under the needle.

I'm just glad he was wearing a shirt so that we didn't have to admire whatever art he'd reserved for the rest of his torso. At first I was looking for the Polomalu family but I guess "Steeler Nation" is everywhere.

Took my mutt up there yesterday for a visit. I was so proud of him, he walked down the hall like he owned the joint. Didn't bother any of the other patients and just walked into my mother's room and went right to her bed. Then laid on the floor right next to her. Mom really enjoyed his visit.:)
My Dad's care facility has several dogs wandering around the halls. I guess they're pets of the staff because they were there two days in a row. They (the dogs) know exactly who to spend time with and who to avoid.

Going to the nursing home today to have lunch with mom. Cost $1 for a family member. I'm afraid it might taste like a $1 lunch. :( Took my mutt up there yesterday for a visit. I was so proud of him, he walked down the hall like he owned the joint. Didn't bother any of the other patients and just walked into my mother's room and went right to her bed. Then laid on the floor right next to her. Mom really enjoyed his visit.:)

Proving once again that Dogs Know Stuff. :)

Happy Easter ! :flowers:

I've had a very busy few days. I am pleased to announce that Mr B was elected Commander of his Legion Post. He has served as an officer for 4 years, and was nominated for and elected to the top position. I am very proud of him. :D

We attended my local Legion Installation ceremony last night. We both put on the Ritz - him in a dress suit and tie and me in a little black cocktail dress and heels with all the trimmings. It felt great to get all snazzed up. After dinner, we went to another Post for cocktails and DJ. Mr B won a coffee cup full of Easter candy and a water bottle playing music trivia. We were home by 1 AM. :whistle:

Today is Greek dinner day - roast lamb with garlic, oregano, lemon juice and olive oil, oven baked rice flavored with tomato sauce and lamb drippings, and homemade sweet bread (Mr B's request) for dessert. I haven't made the traditional Greek Easter bread for a very long time. I used to make it every year for my Mom when I was younger, and then continued the tradition for years as an adult. It is a real memory spark for me, all good thoughts. :D

Did laundry and went for a nice walk. Enjoying the second day of the year above 60 degrees.

We decided to skip the big Easter get together this year and go for a large party for Father's Day since we will be leaving for vacation in a few days . I am making a turkey breast with mashed potatoes and asparagus .

The Easter Bunny just showed up:clap: in the middle of watching the Yankees-Orioles baseball game on TV. Mr B surprised me with a solid milk chocolate rabbit he bought on the sly during the week. I had dropped major hints about a chocolate Easter bunny last week, complete with my best little girl pouty look. :LOL:
It was commercial break and all of a sudden he ran out to the car in his white terry bathrobe. :cool:
I think I'll keep this guy. :blush:

I am pleased to announce that Mr B was elected Commander of his Legion Post. He has served as an officer for 4 years, and was nominated for and elected to the top position. I am very proud of him. :D
Do ya have to salute him now?
salute10re.gif

I think I'll keep this guy. :blush:
Ahhhh....I don't blame you....:cool:

Happy Easter everyone. We did not do the big Easter dinner either, since there is only DH and myself at home. We normally do the big Ham dinner, but decided to do steaks with onions and mushrooms on top, baked potato with sour cream, asparagus and deviled eggs. We have strawberries and angel food cake for dessert. I really wish that my family could have been here, especially my dear granddaughter. It would have been fun making up an Easter basket and having an Easter egg hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom