what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sent Mr B off to Syracuse to the VA VR&E office for his final decision on whether he will be funded for college courses or not. The local college advisor has told him he needs 9 courses to complete to convert his current bachelor's to one specifically in Accounting, which will enable him to sit for the CPA exam.
His goal is to either freelance or get something PT to beef up his SS earnings record for the next 3 years.
I may have a full time student on my hands for the next year. :)
Freebird, I remembered your original post before this emergency. So I feel like we've had a front row seat! Perhaps the trip was an unintended physical/emotional stress test for Mr. B. and luckily he knew when to end that test. Glad to hear he is doing well at the present.

Freebird, happy to hear Mr. B is recovering well. Times like these make us value life all the more. :flowers:

I usually do 10 laughing faces when I see a good joke or comeback here. Tonight I would like to give you all a "10" for your compassion and kindness at a very tough time.

:flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers:
:flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers:

You are a very special group.

Mr B is doing very well, and I have conquered my demons. No need to explain.

Life is good. Life is precious. Live it. Let us go forward now...:D

Wow, sorry you guys had to go through that! We like hearing about Mr. B, so take good care off him.

And do you sometimes call him "Mr. B?" As in, "Well, Mr. B., what shall we doing today?"

Wow, sorry you guys had to go through that! We like hearing about Mr. B, so take good care off him.

And do you sometimes call him "Mr. B?" As in, "Well, Mr. B., what shall we doing today?"
No, I just use Mr B as shorthand for Mr Boston.

He has a distinctive way of speaking that the locals in East Nowhere just can't seem to get over. He takes it all in good stride when they imitate his pronunciation of "car" and "there" etc etc.

He is a real character and certainly keeps me on my toes mentally. It's a dirty job but someone has to try to outwit me. Notice I said "try". ;)

Good to see things are returning to normal in Freebird&Mr B land.

Good to see things are returning to normal in Freebird&Mr B land.
Yes, he is at the Legion having coffee with the guys and doing some computer memory upgrades for the post.
I need to get some filet beans and peas planted in my Earthboxes today, so that will keep me occupied while he does his "man time".
The tulips in the front flower bed are starting to open up on a bright sunny day here. I'll post a pic when all are fully opened.
Today will be a nice slow easy day for us. Maybe watch some baseball if there is a decent game on.
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/broadcasts/national.jsp

I still feel extremely worn out. I wonder if he will be able to hear the announcer over my snoring if I stretch out on the couch during the game. :LOL:

Played golf this morning after a breakfast visit with mom. Almost made a hole in one. The ball came to rest 1 inch on the backside of the cup. Not sure how it didn't go in. Oh well............

Mom does appear a little better. If I could just get her to eat more. I stopped by after golf to give her a small milk shake. One of the few things that taste good to her.

Played golf this morning after a breakfast visit with mom. Almost made a hole in one. The ball came to rest 1 inch on the backside of the cup. Not sure how it didn't go in. Oh well............

Mom does appear a little better. If I could just get her to eat more. I stopped by after golf to give her a small milk shake. One of the few things that taste good to her.
Well, maybe next time Dawg...

I'm sure glad to see your mom is doing better and I hope she is comfortable. :flowers: Mmm, hmmm...give her whatever tastes good to her.

Bought a car for the young wife.

Woo-hoo! What kind of car did you get for the lucky girl? :)

2011 Mini Cooper S -- she has wanted one for years.

This is a few days delayed. I was originally going to post it on Thursday night, but it seemed trivial compared to what Freebird was going through.

Went into San Francisco with SO. We visited the California Academy Of Sciences in Golden Gate Park for a special event involving an exhibition of pictures of The Beatles, a display of African Beetles and a talk about Beetles, as well as a performance by Beatles Cover band "The Sun Kings". The band was really good, except that the guy who was supposed to be George Harrison looked a lot like Jimmy Page, which really got in the way of the whole "suspension of disbelief" thing:whistle:

We also got to see the rest of the exhibits on display, which included an artificially created rain-forest climate indoors, with animals native to the rain-forest. The aquarium was great fun also.

I've spent so much time living within my modest means recently, that I don't get out as much as I should, and it's always a pleasure to do so.

Last night we (DH and I and 26 yo son) went to Playhouse Square in the Cleveland Theater District where our 24 year old son was working. He was the Sound Designer for a production of "Passing Strange". The production was FANTASTIC, excellent acting, wonderful music, minimal staging that really fit the play well and of course the sound was perfect.:clap::clap:

Sometimes when I go to his shows it's hard to get sucked into the play because I tend to look for the technical details. Not this one! I was "into it" the whole time, just had a fantastic time.

He's been staying at my sister's house in the Cleveland suburbs for the convenience of being closer to downtown so we haven't seen him in a few weeks. He was very glad to see us at his show, proud of his work and exhausted from the schedule.

Very proud Mom moment!

I just woke up from 12 hours of deep restful sleep. Wow I really needed that.
Mr B is resting in the recliner watching baseball through his eyelids. ;)
He was up earlier today to go help the Legion guys buy and install 2 new flat screen monitors at the post. They did all the lifting, he did the equipment hookup.
A friend at the post picked some wild leeks in the woods.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_leek

He offered me some last night and sent a bunch home with Mr B today. I will use a few and plant the rest in the way back wooded part of my property. I will have years of free leeks if they make it through the transplant. Here they are resting in some potting mix until I can get them planted.

Check out these recipes.
http://www.seasonalchef.com/recipe0507a.htm
The spaghetti with ramps looks fabulous.

Attachments

• leeks.jpg
    leeks.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 1
I gave away some furniture. Moving is very cathartic. I am finding stuff I didn't know I had. :LOL:

...(snip)...
He's been staying at my sister's house in the Cleveland suburbs for the convenience of being closer to downtown so we haven't seen him in a few weeks. He was very glad to see us at his show, proud of his work and exhausted from the schedule.

Very proud Mom moment!
Isn't it interesting that when they're happy we're happy? Nice to celebrate that forward movement in their lives.

Thanks Lsbcal for the fabulous bluebird photo!!!

I've spent the past 3 days as a volunteer (board member and IT committee chair) helping a local non-profit migrate to a totally new computer platform. Their new service provider is top-notch, but there is a lot of old cr*p to deal with.

Fortunately, DH was away on a men's retreat so he didn't miss me.

I'll be back early Monday morning to help with the inevitable issues, but no doubt it's a huge step forward for them. I'm very pleased to have been instrumental in the decision process.

And I spent Saturday morning in a workshop on setting myself up in business to do similar work for a (nominal) fee for other nonprofits. Ready to stick my toe back into the w*rk world in a whole different way.

Bought a new Prius this weekend. Traded in my gas guzzling Mercedes.

Never thought I'd buy another new car. Last three have been gently used, but there is little price difference between a used and new Prius so went with new.

Buying it was quite the experience...drove from Vegas to LA to buy the car since there are none in Vegas. After test drive and about halfway through the paperwork, salesperson says "you know this car has a $5k over sticker markup for "Market Conditions". Really?? No I didn't and if you would have mentioned that when I called to verify that the stock # I want is still here I would not have drove 5 hours to CA.

Very long story short, I got the car at sticker (couldn't get him below) and he was unable to sell me anything else...no extended warrant, no exterior "protection coating", nothing but the car.

The sales guy wasn't happy with me, but he got to sell a car on the last day of the month so I'm sure it helped his quota.

I attribute my negotiating skills directly to this forum. I've learned so much over the last year from you guys.

Clay barred the wife's car (Murano) yesterday. After doing the annual spring outside cleaning, I detailed the inside too.

Bought a new Prius this weekend. Traded in my gas guzzling Mercedes.

Never thought I'd buy another new car. Last three have been gently used, but there is little price difference between a used and new Prius so went with new.

Buying it was quite the experience...drove from Vegas to LA to buy the car since there are none in Vegas. After test drive and about halfway through the paperwork, salesperson says "you know this car has a $5k over sticker markup for "Market Conditions". Really?? No I didn't and if you would have mentioned that when I called to verify that the stock # I want is still here I would not have drove 5 hours to CA.

Very long story short, I got the car at sticker (couldn't get him below) and he was unable to sell me anything else...no extended warrant, no exterior "protection coating", nothing but the car.

The sales guy wasn't happy with me, but he got to sell a car on the last day of the month so I'm sure it helped his quota.

I attribute my negotiating skills directly to this forum. I've learned so much over the last year from you guys.

If the car is available at LAS, would there a tax advantage buying it locally at LAS versus buying at CA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom