Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #7521
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
That is hilarious!
But true! So far I have no idea how to answer it.

I'm still not sold on the whole idea of smartphones, but I am trying to keep an open mind...

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #7522
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
You put it in your shoe, like Maxwell Smart.

KIDDING
Old 05-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #7523
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
You put it in your shoe, like Maxwell Smart.

KIDDING

I think I will call myself, from my landline, to see if I can figure it out. (I won't try the shoe trick, though! )

Edited to add: OK, that was pretty easy.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:22 PM   #7524
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I think I will call myself, from my landline, to see if I can figure it out. (I won't try the shoe trick, though! )

Just remember to answer your own call with, "Hello, Chief?"
Old 05-06-2011, 10:22 PM   #7525
Give me a forum ...

When I got my first cellphone in 1994 or so, I didn't know what to do when it rang, so I missed many calls. I never felt at home with it. I'm now on my fourth phone, a BlackBerry Bold. I took it out of the box and figured it out straight away. Smartphones are more and more ergonomic and I'm sure your iPhone is very user friendly. Just play with it and have fun (without dialing Australia, of course!)
Old 05-06-2011, 10:23 PM   #7526
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

That's what the operating manuals/guides are for.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:24 PM   #7527
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Kind of a milestone today. First time in my life I paid over $50 to fill my gas tank.
This happened to me yesterday. I hate to think what someone driving a big car would pay.

Tonight went to a new happy hour place-treated by a son and DIL. Super downtown place, excellent sushi and sashimi (my favorite).

It's so interesting to listen to my son as he matures into his late 20s. He has most of my attitudes, but he is way ahead of where I was even 20 years later in my life at understanding who he really is.

Ha
Old 05-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #7528
Moderator Emeritus

Finally got around to troubleshooting the refrigerator ice dispenser's flapper door. The four-year old solenoid was, to put it politely, a block of drippy rust.

Hopefully I'll be able to pick up a new part on the way home from surfing tomorrow.

Quote:
I have been with Verizon for over a decade, so Verizon was my choice. Basically I want Verizon as my carrier more than I wanted an iPhone for my phone. Yes, I chose the contract to save several hundred dollars since I have no intention of changing carriers.
My daughter says you'll be happier with anybody but AT&T Verizon.

Quote:
I wonder if I will use the website apps at home, since it is a lot easier to type on my laptop as I am at the moment. But if I want to, I can. I don't really spend much time anywhere else with wi-fi, other than motels if/when we go on road trips.
Quote:
I'm still not sold on the whole idea of smartphones, but I am trying to keep an open mind...
Gee, isn't there a iPhone E-R.org moderator's app? Something with Porky Pig pre-loaded, or your phone rings every time one of us reports a post?

Here's a behavior that I'm still getting used to. A bunch of us will be sitting around a table talking. Someone will finish a sentence, reach into his pocket for his smartphone, and start thumbing away at it. My initial reaction has been "How rude to text/answer the phone/check voicemail in the middle of our conversation." The reality has been that they're looking up something we were just talking about.

Your iPhone apps may get a heavy workout. Unless it involves homework or significant writing, our daughter does more through her iPhone than her Macbook.

Quote:
I guess if I am going to join the 21st century, I probably should start using Twitter. I'll check out Twitterific, thanks.
If you're going to tweet every few hours about the beignet you just ate, then we want pictures of the beignets!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:16 AM   #7529
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Gee, isn't there a iPhone E-R.org moderator's app? Something with Porky Pig pre-loaded, or your phone rings every time one of us reports a post?
Actually yes, in a way! When someone reports a post, we get an automatic e-mail. My iPhone then shows that I have an e-mail. Of course, it could be spam...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Your iPhone apps may get a heavy workout. Unless it involves homework or significant writing, our daughter does more through her iPhone than her Macbook.
My daughter is one of those who stood in line for days for the first iPhone and for all new versions since. She tells me it will Change.My.Life and that I will wonder how I ever lived without one. My first reaction to that is to roll my eyes, but to be honest she really does know me pretty well so I will keep an open mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
If you're going to tweet every few hours about the beignet you just ate, then we want pictures of the beignets!
I can take the photo with my iPhone, too!

(didn't eat these but they sure look great...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beignets.jpg (5.5 KB, 137 views)

Old 05-07-2011, 06:10 AM   #7530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Here's a behavior that I'm still getting used to. A bunch of us will be sitting around a table talking. Someone will finish a sentence, reach into his pocket for his smartphone, and start thumbing away at it. My initial reaction has been "How rude to text/answer the phone/check voicemail in the middle of our conversation." The reality has been that they're looking up something we were just talking about.
This is one of my pet peeves! I went out to dinner with about 10 gals the other night...at any one time, at least 2 or 3 were on their phone texting. And, no, they were not looking up something relevant to the conversation. They were having conversations with other people via texting rather than engaging in a real, live conversation.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 05-07-2011, 06:39 AM   #7531
Administrator

Technology offers us so many new ways to be rude to each other. I'm not sure that's a positive development.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:46 AM   #7532
Give me a forum ...

Being one of those pickup driving, earth killing, gas guzzling folks, I sit high enough while motoring to see how many idjits are gawking at their cell phone, instead of looking at the road. Explains a whole lot of erratic behavior...

My iPhone is very useful. Google maps, GPS, etc. They are less than useful for web activity on a "not optimized for iPhone" site.

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 05-07-2011, 08:49 AM   #7533
Give me a forum ...

Hallelujah -- I made it through a three-hour gig last night! My bike crash injuries and strained back all took a turn for the worse yesterday, and I was walking around like the slowest guy in the nursing home. I took a vicodin in the afternoon, and didn't notice any effect. I tried to get a sub, but couldn't.

But I took two vicodins before the gig, and Lena drove me to and from. The combination of the vicodins and being out in public worked a miracle, and it wasn't bad at all. In fact, it was a really good gig. Lena told me that I introduced the bass player as the bass drummer, but other than that nothing weird (other than the snakes on the keyboard).

Today I'm back to nursing home guy, but it is a luxury to have nothing that I have to do for a long time. I can just rest. Sitting, standing, and lying are all fine, it's just the transitions that are hard.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:42 AM   #7534
Give me a forum ...

So does applause help mitigate the pain?
Old 05-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #7535
Moderator Emeritus

Al, glad to hear that you got through the performance with less pain than expected!

As to the iPhone comments, I guess that now I have the option of being rude or a dangerous driver, too!

(although those really wouldn't be my choices)

Old 05-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #7536
Give me a forum ...

Here are the iPod Touch apps that I use all the time:

ShopShop -- for To Do lists and shopping lists
Mobilist -- for checklists (e.g. packing lists)
NoteMaster -- General notes, recipes, set lists, numbers, and notes in general. It synchs with GoogleDocs. This is my only non-free app. It's great to have recipes so readily available.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #7537
Moderator Emeritus

I'm hoping to teach a new friend how to surf today. But holy cow has it been raining (and lightning and thundering) these last three days.

The good news is that the skies are clearing (for now), and the rain generally keeps the hodads off the break. However we'll have to make the call once we're standing on the beach.

But one way or another I'm going to spend a couple hours in the water today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
This is one of my pet peeves! I went out to dinner with about 10 gals the other night...at any one time, at least 2 or 3 were on their phone texting. And, no, they were not looking up something relevant to the conversation. They were having conversations with other people via texting rather than engaging in a real, live conversation.
That would be annoying. To their credit, the guys I was with were researching the answers to the conversation's questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
The combination of the vicodins and being out in public worked a miracle, and it wasn't bad at all. In fact, it was a really good gig. Lena told me that I introduced the bass player as the bass drummer, but other than that nothing weird (other than the snakes on the keyboard).
Gosh, imagine how much better improvising could be with four or five Vicodins.

As Jimmy Buffet said, "... when only jazz musicians were smokin' marijuana, hey!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Today I'm back to nursing home guy, but it is a luxury to have nothing that I have to do for a long time. I can just rest. Sitting, standing, and lying are all fine, it's just the transitions that are hard.
I have this same endorphin rush after every taekwondo workout.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:23 AM   #7538
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Continuing my massive years-long project of ripping a (hopefully) significant portion of my 10,000-strong CD collection to hard drive. It's taking a long time because I insist on scanning all the CD booklets and doing accurate rips, which take longer.

The reason for this post is that I'm currently ripping a great 4 CD box set of surf music called "Cowabunga!" and thought of Nords.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #7539

T-Al, I'm glad you got through your gig and that you were careful enough to have Lena drive you. I think back pain and mouth pain are the worst ones. I agree with you about it being hardest in the transitions.

I haven't had any back injuries due to adventures, mine have all been muscle strains. I think the first one came from pulling up plants in the garden and I wrenched something and just had to take it easy until it healed. Since then it's usually an awkward twist/pull/lift that triggers a shot of pain and then I feel all off balance while I try to baby it for a few days. The worst is trying to get out of bed first thing in the morning when I have to pee and I can't just jump up and move across the room.

Luckily, I've been problem free for a quite a while and I appreciate it when nothing hurts. But, just in case, I keep the last of an old prescription for vicodin. I haven't needed it for a long time, it's just nice to know it's there.

I've found that taking a walk always helped me. I like to walk with long strides and my arms swinging. Back pain tends to make me uneven and twisted and walking helps me stay symmetrical. Of course, that's if I can manage to get out of the chair.

For an active, athletic guy like you this has got to be pretty awful. I hope you feel better.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #7540

Woke up to THIS this morning....before my coffee too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0855.jpg (533.7 KB, 10 views)
Closed Thread